Micro Brewery?

sageadvice

Long Time Member
LAST EDITED ON Jan-24-15 AT 00:14AM (MST)[p]A good friend of mine is putting his huge garage into shape to produce Beer Legally, market it through a Main St rental called a "tasting Room", and at first anyway, sell it by the Keg.

It's been a hobby of his for years and his Wife, both his Sons currently serving in the Military, are very interested in his plans. He's been a extremely sharp guy, seems that way to me anyway, living as a one man General Contr Co. to make ends meet, I'm just his friend and his Plumber. Can a guy maybe make a buck doing this in a small mountain resort Town or just throwing his money away?

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

My brother lives in Gray Eagle just south of you and I'm sure he will test it for your friend

2311idiot.jpg

You might want them to talk with this Guy. He started the Palisade Brewery, which started as just a tasting room, in our little town a few years back (and unfortunately sold it). He's been very successful at it. His current brewery in Ridgeway, Colorado is somewhere we drive to when we want a great brew.

http://www.coloradoboy.com/about

Hey Uncle sage!

It Depends!

I know a few Guys doing it & are Sipping the Profits away!:D

They all of a sudden have lots of Friends also!:D

[font color="redhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMsueOnu0kY

LAST EDITED ON Jan-24-15 AT 01:41AM (MST)[p]Overton, i like Graeagle, worked there, White Hawk, gold Mtn, that area, Plumbing Custom homes around all the Golf Courses. There's a Deli-Store-meat counter there in town by the swimming pond that makes the best home made sausage i ever had.

Beanman, i'll pass on that link to him. I wish him well. I'm not alone in that many construction guys have been hurting, holding on for years now, and many are looking for a new way to make a living.

Bess, He's not really the easy to get friendly with type of guy. We're good buds and talk often but he's usually all about his family, not usually very sociable. I do though think he's smart enough to know where his bread is buttered...

I thought Coffee shops wouldn't make a buck either! lol

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

Like any widget company, if people like their product, STFB! There's gotta be 20 in ft collins some of em doin multi million dollar additions to produce more beer to keep their customers happy. Most of em started pretty small.

What I was sayin Uncle sage was:

You get your own Mini-Brewery going & your Friends might keep the Still Empty!:D

>LAST EDITED ON Jan-24-15
>AT 01:41?AM (MST)

>
>Overton, i like Graeagle, worked there,
>White Hawk, gold Mtn, that
>area, Plumbing Custom homes around
>all the Golf Courses. There's
>a Deli-Store-meat counter there in
>town by the swimming pond
>that makes the best home
>made sausage i ever had.
>
>
>Beanman, i'll pass on that link
>to him. I wish him
>well. I'm not alone in
>that many construction guys have
>been hurting, holding on for
>years now, and many are
>looking for a new way
>to make a living.
>
>Bess, He's not really the easy
>to get friendly with type
>of guy. We're good buds
>and talk often but he's
>usually all about his family,
>not usually very sociable. I
>do though think he's smart
>enough to know where his
>bread is buttered...
>
>I thought Coffee shops wouldn't make
>a buck either! lol
>
>Joey
>
>
>"It's all about knowing what your
>firearms practical limitations are and
>combining that with your own
>personal limitations!"

I don't have any knowledge about the business end, but I do know that if he can make a good beer and get a local following, he should have a good thing. There are a couple very successful micro brewery's around here. I keep a couple six packs in my refer, but it takes me a few months to drink them. I know all the kayakers around here are into micro beer in a big way.

Eel

It's written in the good Book that we'll never be asked to take more than we can. Sounds like a good plan, so bring it on!

A couple of guys in my town started making home brew in their garage 35 years ago. I sold them an electric motor I had taken off a piece of equipment in my business about 28 years ago. Only one of them is still making beer.....but he is the 7th largest brewer in the United States now and according to an article I read this week...a billionaire.

Sage spells better than Overton...hell, I even seen the mistake in spelling that town.

Brian
http://i44.tinypic.com/es7x8z.jpg[/IMG]

lol

That year i spent over in that former Gold mining area, it was a huge growing year for me in a lot of ways. I had already quit drinking and had moved to Greenville and took a Temp. job that was familiar to me as maintenance supervisor at their small town Hospital and SNF unit. Their guy had to have Brain Surgery. I was to fill in until his return. When that job ran out, instead f moving back to Chester, I hit the road in my Camper truck, back then a nice larger cab-over, and looked for work where i could find it as a plumber.

I hired on with a guy for $20. pr/hr and he had lots of work in that Graeagle area. After work i'd make tracks to the mountains and look for a likely stream or small lake to catch my Dinner, clean up, and spend the night. Every day, i'd work in that beautiful country then find another nice place to camp, swim, and fish. Being i had no rent or mortgage along with the associated bills to pay, i soon was out of debt and putting money aside. It was nice too to work for a different Plumbing Contractor as i had about 6-7 years in with the only one i had ever worked for up to then and different strokes for different folks, i learned a lot of stuff and tied some loose ends about the trade together.

I might have stayed in that country as lots of money there in those days for a good hand but there were three other guys on the crew and they all partied like crazy, smoked dope on the job, and i was gonna give being sober a good go. After a year or so, even though i felt that i more than my share of the work and well earned my money, i just didn't fit in with those guys in that crew. My old Boss offered me a big raise to come back to Chester, so i did and all told, a very eventful best part of a couple years of my life well spent. Graeagle has it's plus's!

Thanks for the comments guys!!

Joey

Joey, didn't Sierra-Nevada brewery start out as a small operation and have now expanded to a larger operation in our general area of Butte County?

RELH

RELH, Yeah, they did. That's the Guy that Larrbo is talking about. I think he said "Billionare". Kinda catchy word there...

I used to like their Pale Ale Beer and still buy it as a gift or a thank you for someone when monetary payment would not be accepted.

There was a Bar in Tucson that had 100 different beers on tap. It was one of the places some of the guys and Gals, mostly students, would hang out on weekend nights and dance. I always wondered what each of those beers tasted like and kept trying different ones, but there were only a few of us White decent enough looking guys on the Football Team so the Gals were practically fighting each other off to drag one of us off for themselves. I never got to near as many of those "Beers" as i'd have liked to have...:)

Joey

We had a few DUKES around here thinking they'd get Rich making/runnin their own SHINE many years ago!

JUDAS!

They were Drinkin this stuff way faster than they were producing it!:D

LAST EDITED ON Jan-25-15 AT 12:12PM (MST)[p]Mostly likely wouldn't know a good beer from a bad one, let alone an outstanding one. BobCat's my taste tester! However, it seems, good products find there way to the top of the business world, be it beer or rutabagas.

If your bud can produce a unique, great tasting beer, the rest is ambition and marketing. You mentioned he's not exactly a social butterfly, so he might need someone else to do the interpersonal side, that being the marketing. In as much as it seems like introductory beer marketing is a pretty social operation, will he be comfortable getting the boys to round up the locals, to create a supportive following. If he's not happy with a having lot of the boys being round, he might have a little trouble breaking into the beer drinkers coffers.

Could be wrong though...........if it's good enough, maybe they'll just knock the door down and drain the vat, regardless.

DC

2Lumpy, Thanks! You shared some of the same thoughts that i've been mulling over. I really do hope my Friend does well but i fear the odds of him doing really well are not that good.

I've thought of me being more to this enterprise than just being his friend and Plumber but me being still motivated in remaining sober, has caution signals blaring loud and clear. I think my interests will be best served here with me just concerning myself with being his friend and with his plumbing needs which could become substantial.

Joey

Yup, he'll need you fitt'en pipe and draining tanks, win loose or draw, the brewing process success will need to be right, to produce the best taste. As a friend, that sure sounds like the most critical place to help him get a good start.

Gett'er done Sage!

DC

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom