Mexico Vacations

grizzmoose

Very Active Member
My wife and I are celebrating our 10th anniversary this year and are looking to head to Mexico. We have been to Cancun already and would like to try another place that is comparable in price. Mexico seems like its always the cheapest, so we are starting to look there.

Im looking for some ideas on any places/hotels that you have personally been to and had a great experience.

Thanks for any ideas!

Sorry for not being specific; but whattya think about Hawaii? It's in the country, and you wont catch swine flu!! A buddy and his brother just went there for <$400/roundtrip ticket!

I don't know, I'm just paranoid about heading south with all the crap they have brewing down there (drugs, disease, crime, violence, and more drugs)

"...I'd rather be tried by twelve than carried by six..."

HEY GRIZZ........IS THE SWINE FLU SITUATION TAPERING OFF ??
WE LIKE CANCUN ALSO......I DONT REALLY KNOW HOW WIDESPREAD THE SWINE FLU IS IN MEXICO....OR WAS IT JUST REALLY BAD IN MEXICO CITY ??? ....LIKE TO BOOK IT FOR JULY......YD.

It doesnt seem like the swine flu is as serious as once thought. I think Ive done enough research to not make me too concerned about it. Lots of others are still afraid to travel down there, so Mexico prices are low. Im more concerned about crime and violence than anything else. But, I dont feel terribly at risk to be victimized if you keep to traveling smart.

Hawaii sounds nice, but I havent been able to find the right deal there yet.

IF YOU STAY IN THE AMERICAN HOTELS (WE STAY IN THE MARRIOTT) YOU NEVER HAVE A PROBLEM......THIS WILL BE THE 3RD YEAR FOR US IN CANCUN. THE FISHING IS 100 TIMES BETTER THAN HAWAII AT HALF THE RATE ON THE NICEST FLEET OF BOATS I HAVE EVER SEEN. WE LEAVE IN A COUPLE OF WEEKS.
THIS WAS KINDA FUNNY.....WE ARE AT THE BAR HAVING A COUPLE OF DRINKS IN THE HOTEL....I GLANCE OVER MY SHOULDER & THE EASTMAN BOYS ARE BEHIND ME....MIKE,GUY & IKE. THEY ARE IN CANCUN FLY FISHING.....SHOT THE BREEZE WITH THEM AWHILE....ALL GOOD GUYS.....HAD A BALL........YD.

For what it's worth, I'll add my .02 worth. Having been to both Mexico and Hawai'i a number of times, I'd say Hawai'i is a better destination. Yeah, the fishing in Mexico is often better and less expensive, but if you're going to celebrate your anniversary, chances are fishing isn't the main priority anyway.

If cost of plane tickets weren't a significant factor, I wouldn't go to either. I'd take the wife to South Africa. I just returned this weekend from a 2 week family vacation there that included a little bit of hunting combined with game viewing in Kruger Park and Thornybush Game Reserve. It was the best vacation our family has ever taken, IMO. We all could have stayed 2 more weeks! Once you're there, costs aren't bad at all, the hospitality is great and you'll never have a better time unless your idea of having a great time is drinking too much in Mexico. Driving on the wrong side of the road only added to the 'adventure' aspect!

Cabo in Mexico was a great time, here is where we stayed.

4a2d1384529e8753.jpg

Another vote for Cabo. We stayed at a beautiful beach front hotel called Villa De Arco. Cheap compared to Hawaii and great fishing.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-08-09 AT 01:30PM (MST)[p]My wife and I have been going to Mexico for more than 30 years and now own two time share weeks in Mazatlan in two different resorts that are owned by the same company.

We do the 950-mile DRIVE down from Phoenix each fall and always enjoy our stay. I also usually make a driving trip down with a friend to one of the bass lakes in the spring.

As for the violence, my wife feels safer walking the streets in Mazatlan then she does in Phx. Most of the crap you're hearing about occurs in the border towns or in the areas where the drug cartels are battling each other and the policia. Little of it involves the tourist areas.

Unlike Cancun or Cabo, which both developed with tourism in mind, Mazatlan began as a major city. So it has all of the structure of a city, including a Sam's Club and Walmart. LOL

The tourist section, known as the Golden Zone, is north of the main city and consists of dozens of very nice hotels, many restaurants and the usual array of touristy shops and businesses.

The main draw for Mazatlan is COST. I've been to both Cabo and Puerta Vallarta twice; prices for food and other stuff is MUCH less in Mazatlan -- the shrimp capital of the world. Two people can eat a great meal with drinks for $30 in any number of restaurants.

The Mazatlan Venados baseball team are also based there, and going to a game is like going to a giant fiesta somewhere. Later in the winter and early spring, they alo have bull fights if you're prone to enjoy such things.

And lastly, there's a fleet of fishing boats at two different marinas for either off-shore billfishing or botom fishing from a typical Mexican panga.

These are a few pix from the Pueblo Bonito - Emerald Bay resort (http://www.pueblobonitoemeraldbay.com/)where we have one of our time shares. They also have three resorts in Cabo and one in Puerta Vallarta.

4a2d21d51e90e1dd.jpg

4a2d22201fc95900.jpg

4a2d227321072e3f.jpg

TONY MANDILE
48e63dfa482a34a9.jpg

How To Hunt Coues Deer

Thanks for the replies guys. Still not sure what to do. One thing that I loved about Cancun was how beautiful and pristine the beaches were. I dont think Ive ever seen water that clear or sand that white. Wherever I end up going, Id like to get to a beach like that again. What are the beaches and water like in Cabo and PV? Similar?

LAST EDITED ON Jun-08-09 AT 01:46PM (MST)[p]I'd rather vacation/hunt Hawaii. I'm not the "sunbathing" type and neither is my wife. My wife loves to hunt Hawaii with me, even though she doesn't hunt she likes to assist me.

Just curious,, what is it that you hunt in Hawaii?? Chickens are the most wild animal on Kuai, what other of the islands offer more than a chicken hunt?

C'mon buttshot, you especially should know that Hawaii has world class turtle hunting! 264Magnum would be ashamed.:)

Eel

buttshot
You need step away from the luaus swimming pools.
Kauai has Blacktail deer, pig and goat and numerous upland bird species. My favorite island is Lanai where I hunt axis deer.
4a2dad8b28e65d2e.jpg

4a2dadc029ad99bd.jpg

I go to Mexico (Sonoran coast) quite a bit to relax and do a bit of fishing, cuz it's only a 4 1/2 hr drive from my house here in AZ.. that said, the wife and I are headed to Kona on the Big island, HI next Wed for our 3rd yr anniversery.. Plan on seeing the volcanoes, the rain forest in the southern part of the island, and I'm planning on climbing Mauna Kea to add HI to my list of state high peaks..

Both are great to vaction in.. just choose on what you're looking to get out of the trip.

A couple of places to consider:

Fiji, we've been there a couple of times and it was cheaper than Mexico. It's a long flight and you want to get off of Vanua Levu and get to one of the smaller islands.

New Zealand, The South Island is incredible for outdoor people from the ocean to the glaciers. Frendliest people in the world and you can drink the water.

Bean

Just curious.

If Mexico is so speccial, why are all the Mexicans leaving it?

Hawaii is much nicer, you don't see California filling up with Hawaiians.

30 years ago, when Mexico had less raw crime, we used to go down there a lot.......

we went to the island of cozamel which is real close to where you stayed in cancun. The island is more layed back, we stayed at the palace resort which is all inclusive and had a great time. With all that flu talk going around there was only about 50 people at our resort. We even added two more days and ended up staying eight.Without the cruise ships coming to port, the locals are getting hurt.

>30 years ago, when Mexico had
>less raw crime, we used
>to go down there a
>lot.......

As opposed to the cooked crime of today. :)

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom