Metolious Bucks

B

buckballs

My buddy and I managed to draw metolious tags this year and new it would be a good one with the cut back on tags. I never did manage to scout much because of my antelope tag and then my archery elk tag but my dad went up in the area to archery deer hunt and gave me some ideas where to start. Saturday we started going up in an area and it was spitting snow we hiked up an area and saw a spot we wanted to go to as it looked like a good area where we could see. Just as we start going up we here a deer jump up very close. It gets above us and we can see its a nice buck my buddy shoots just as I was getting set up to shoot him and he drops. We get up to him and see its a nice 3 by 3 with a drop tine which makes him a 3 by 4.
We shot him at about 9 in the AM and didnt get him packed out tell 4 30. Long day... This leaves me with a tag to fill so we drive out and check areas out for where I was going to hunt the next day.
Sunday morning I wake up to all kinds of snow. It takes a long time for it to get light so I wait it out and let it get a little more light and find an area to hunt. There are people driving around every where and no one is walking. As soon as i get off the road there are deer everywhere I believe a lot were coming off the mountain. I start cutting tracks and fallow them tell I see deer. I had jumped lots of deer and passed up 6 bucks all smaller. I keep doing this and while I was on some deer I notice a bigger buck up the top of the hill. So I make my way towards him and cut his tracks. I fallow them and all the sudden up another hill he appears. I can see he is as wide as his ears and looks like a shooter. I am a poor college kid and cannot afford to drive back and forth so I wanted to shoot one opening day. Just as I spot the deer he stops in an opening I find a burnt stump get a good rest and shoot. He drops right away and I relieze I had just shot my biggest buck. He was a 230 yards shot through all the snow. Thank god for a good scope!

My buddys buck
HPIM1180.jpg

HPIM1178.jpg

My buck
HPIM1190_1.jpg

HPIM1187.jpg

both bucks were takin miles off the road and never saw a single person off the road!

good job. every time it snows during rifle season i al
ways wish i had a tag

funny thing is i think i heard about the drop tine buck being taken.

man , great job guys! i had the late archery tag 8 yrs ago and can only dream to get it again someday!

i agree with DAVE32G, with this snow i was itching to have a rifle buck tag.

Very nice deer! Congratulations. I had been watching the buck with the droptine. I have pics this summer of him with 3 other bucks. I hunted that area for archery, but never saw them after season opened.

wow. nice to see some good bucks getting harvested. thanks for sharing the picks bro.

Back
Top Bottom