Met a Plankowner today

BeanMan

Long Time Member
I went out for a sandwich today and noticed an old guy eating by himself. He was wearing a WWII Vet hat with USS Hancock CV-19 on it. I decided to go introduce myself and ended up sitting an talking , mostly listening,to him talk for 45 minutes about his experience on board. He was there when it was commissioned and told me about having to cut gun mounts off in order to get through the Panama Canal and then welding them back on. He was really pleased that someone had noticed his hat and wanted to know about it. He also told me it was VE day today and that when they heard the news over the ships loudspeaker they were fighting off a Kamikaze attack. I could have spent all afternoon talking with that Gentleman. It made my day and I hope his too.

I caught one at menards the other day and shook his hand and thanked him for what he did to get that hat. Them boys are gettin to be harder to find by the day.

Yep, great guys and came home and then built a great country. One them lives 2 blocks north of me. I take him on long rides on the mountain, I just listen and learn.

We're going to mis'em when there gone!

DC

I met one about two weeks ago who was an airplane mechanic stationed in India. He said he shot a tiger one night near the base.

Eel

It's written in the good Book that we'll never be asked to take more than we can. Sounds like a good plan, so bring it on!

2Lumps,

The Gentleman I met today is living in Bountiful, UT. He was passing through Fruita on his way to Denver to judge an orchid show. For a 90 year old he still had it together.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom