Men, Man Up.

Cornhusker

Long Time Member
http://www.cnn.com/2011/10/04/opinion/bennett-men-in-trouble

I believe this article is really true. I very seldom post an article on here but this generation usually Pi33es me off. I just got back from the city and my mother-in-laws funeral and this hit the nail on the head at the family gathering. Read the article, my generation the 50 plus guys at least don't get it. I watch these young guys play video games instead of chasing women,working or hunting or tearing down a motor or something I understand and I'm just lost. Why in the heck are 18-34 year old men spending 5 hours a day playing video games. I watch all these guys and can hardly tell if they are guys or girls and that confuses me, what the heck happened.

I'm one of the more liberal guys on here, don't hate gays, I'm for some social programs reigning in health care with some government intervention. Heck I even voted for Obama. But one of the reasons I come on here is to make sure that all you younger guys haven't turned into metrosex video geeks that never man up.

Well that's my rant for the day. But for you young guys I've seen on here raising boys and I've seen the pictures of many keep up the good work. You'll appreciate the results of your efforts when your son becomes a man. Teach them to commit to something and stick with it and the difference between right and wrong. I myself don't feel you need to add the religious ingredient mentioned in the article. If this seemed rather odd read the 2 page article and stats.

Cornhusker made a serious mistake on voting for Obama, but I do not think we need to tell him that. He is smart enough to figure that out for himself and will not make the same mistake twice.

Cornhusker, I know where you coming from on this subject. The greatest goal of any parent is to mold their children into a person that will be able to stand on their own two feet in this world and to contribute to our society and not take away from it.

Some couples should never have kids.

RELH

I have to agree with the article. I watched this happen while I was in the military, especially in the Air Force. The young single guys that lived in the dorms on base, through the week and on the weekends played video games on their off time. There is such big hype about the release of a new video game, almost like a Hollywood movie premier, they have to go out and buy it the minute it comes out, many times going to the midnight release at Gamestop. I honestly think that the reason this is a problem is that there is instant gratification and ease of avoiding hard issues in playing video games, built in rewards for doing well at it; anything from new features, abilities, and if the video game gets too hard you can take it back and trade it in for something else. Now while I have played my share of video games, I don't let it run my life like it used to. One reason behind it is I am a father, to a now 7 year old boy. I also take 10 semester hours of college classes trying to get into the nursing program here at a local community college. I also serve as an assistant Cub Scout den leader in my son's den and I also do membership functions for his Pack. I feel bad this generation of Dad's/soon to be Dad's are going to be this way. Chances are is that their Dad's were either not around or if they were then they may not have been a good influence on their son's. I was lucky that my Dad (who was raised by a single Mom) was my best friend growing up. I can't count the numerous hours in the woods hunting, so many times we didn't get anything but we were always thankful for the time we had. I am waiting for a year or two more before I introduce my son to hunting, hopefully he will enjoy it as much as I did.
So how do we prevent the kids being raised by the video game junky generation to not be this way, that is the million dollar question. Honestly one of the best activities I mentioned earlier: Cub/Boy Scouts. Character building, team work, fun with a purpose, life time achievement skills, a feeling of belonging, duty, honor, the list could go on and on. Consider that 20 out of the 26 Apollo astronauts who went to the moon were Scouts, sorta speaks volumes. Hank Aaron, the homerun king, attributes his lessons in Scouts to why he was successful at baseball. I know it is a hokey soapbox to get on, but Scouting offers so many tools to help young men and in the case of Venturing Scout Crews young men and women with skills that will give them a strong base to succeed in life for the rest of their life. Okay rant over, sorry.
WVBOWAK

Just like the texting thing, So now you don't have even talk to some-one, I'm sorry over a text means Crapola to me.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

Video games are for liberals.

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

I applaud the Boy Scouts of which I was a leader an Eagle Scout myself many years ago as was my son. I also applaud other programs that attempt to give boys a positive role model. Men need to step up, these programs very seldom replace fathers. I teach a night class at the local community college. I can't believe the number of 25 to 35 year old guys living with their parents with no job who occasionally show up for my night class. They also spend their days appparently playing online video games. We have a high school kid with a single unattached parent who averages something like 12,000 texts a month or according to the parent 1 every 32 seconds he is awake. He can text with his phone in his pocket or hidden in his shirt because cell phones are not allowed in school. The parent doesn't see this as a problem. I'm not against video games or texting my point is people use them to avoid resposibility. I never use to see that.

Great stuff Cornhusker. There's so much out there to see and do that many times a nudge is in order.

Eldorado

Okay wait Corny, you're confusing me. You're a liberal, and you like the Boy Scouts and you want our youth to be taught how to become men right? Then being a liberal, how do you feel about gay scoutmasters? I mean wouldn't it be kind of counter-productive for a gay scoutmaster to teach boys to become men? Just sayin'

:)

Piper, how's your period?

Zigga, don't forget the knee pads!

440Sixpack wants to measure your boners!

Then you are saying that women shouldn't be Cub Scout den leaders? Just saying?
WVBOWAK

>Then you are saying that women
>shouldn't be Cub Scout
>den leaders? Just saying?
>
>WVBOWAK

Oh Yes they can, yes sir, they sure can be Cougars anytime they want to be:)

Video games for kids, TVs babysitting kids, DVD players in vehicles to entertain kids.
Shameful.

Problem starts with parents being to lazy to be parents.

Paul you hit the nail right on the head....bunch of parents need their heads slapped right into REAL reality...

Forkie you know I'm more or a moderate. The gay scoutmaster issue is always brought up. We will disagree on this. Why not? If he isn't a pedophile. No one is naive enough to think their children don't have gay teachers. Make sure it is regulated and another adult present. Toughest kid I ever coached in football manly looking outdoor type is gay would make a great role model. Kids don't need to know a persons sexual preference. I approve of women spending time in the nurturing years of a child's life. But there becomes a time during adolescents when boys need role models of how men that take responsibility for their actions act. Forkie you can't pull my chain that easily.

I really like the pictures on MM of guys on this site teaching their boys how to be men.

I agree with Husker on this one. There are safeguards in the Boy Scouts Of America now to keep child molestation to hopefully 0. Now I know that every system has flaws, but if you are following the leadership rules in the BSA then everyone is safe and everyone has fun. Yes women should be allowed to be leaders up to a certain age of the scouts (Weblos should be the limit), in fact I believe they allow women to be merit badge counselors in Boy Scouts. We have women that serve on Diatrict staff, Roundtable staff, and Wood Badge staff. As far as the gay Scout leaders, I don't see an issue with it provided he has been checked out and as long as two deep leadership is being followed, then there is no cause for concern. Also normally gay men usually aren't pedophiles, so there is very little cause for alarm.
WVBOWAK

Amen. I am a part of this lame generation that the article is about. I have lost or am very distant from most of my high school/college buddies because all they want to do is sit on the couch, play video games, do a little drugs, be single. God forbid they have to get off the couch to go hike/hunt/camp/fish/enjoy God's wonderful creation...Most of them grew up doing these things and I'm sure their dad's are disappointed. I chose the normal route...marriage, kid, hunt as much as I can afford...Live what I consider the good/greatest life. Play a video game about once a year. Now I have to look one generation ahead to find somebody with something in common. Pretty lame.

I sure hope you change your mind in November.

I find it interesting that when we have elements of this generation addicted to video games, being in gangs, disrespecting society, women, elders, failing, failing and failing more, we also have big parts of the same generation who are voluntarily committed to service both public and military. So they are not all bad.

While I'm on it, there's no such thing as a 'gay' pedophile. A pedophile is a pedophile. Don't equate being gay with being a pedophile. (Law enforcement 101).

>Amen. I am a part
>of this lame generation that
>the article is about.
>I have lost or am
>very distant from most of
>my high school/college buddies because
>all they want to do
>is sit on the couch,
>play video games, do a
>little drugs, be single.
>God forbid they have to
>get off the couch to
>go hike/hunt/camp/fish/enjoy God's wonderful creation...Most
>of them grew up doing
>these things and I'm sure
>their dad's are disappointed.
>I chose the normal route...marriage,
>kid, hunt as much as
>I can afford...Live what I
>consider the good/greatest life.
>Play a video game about
>once a year. Now
>I have to look one
>generation ahead to find somebody
>with something in common.
>Pretty lame.
>
>I sure hope you change your
>mind in November.

+1000
being apart of this gereation it makes me wonder what happened to all of them dont get me wrong ill play a video game now and then but if i had the choice to go hang out with my wife and daughter, or hunt, or fish , or just spend time in the out doors you can bet your *** iam going that route every time. I guess iam just different i got married and dont live in my parents basement for one and all of my friends are older than me because I cant stand my old buddies from high school that want to play video games all day every day. I feel bad for them and always tried my best to get them to go hunting with me but they did nothing but complain about how cold it was or that we had not seen enough deer or whatever we were hunting.

Ive got your four basic food groups! Beans, Bacon, Whiskey, and Lard!

Although I don't have a stance on gay scout leaders I think the question of their being allowed was posed not for fear of pedophilia but instead a question of masculinity and how it may effect an impressionable teen's view of what it is to be a man. Not saying this is my stance just saying this is how I took the comment.

I do think there are kids who are doing quite well but must agree the numbers are down from my teen and twenty-something days.

I think the way the govt. has enabled leeches has created a lifestyle that allows for laziness and as parents do so will their kids. Make it difficult to live like a MOOCH (i.e. kill welfare and other govt. support) and people will be forced to live in the real world. Maybe? JMO

It doesn't surprise me a lib wouldn't be able to see this. JK conhusker.

Bill

Look out Forkie, FTW is watching us!

"It doesn't surprise me a lib wouldn't be able to see this. JK conhusker." (huntindad4) I guess I don't understand your meaning if this was directed at me.

I sure wouldn't assume that because a man is gay that he is limp wristed and acts feminine. I'm sure there a lot of gay guys out there that hunt fish and could kick my butt. They also can look more masculine, doesn't have much to do with their sexual preference. Do you think government entitlements just came about? They have been around a long time. I really don't understand a lot about your post huntindad4. I do agree some of this generation are doing very well. Both my kids 30=27 are doing better financially than I will ever do an enjoy their careers an do a lot with their free time other than video games. The point of the article is that many men 20's and 30's aren't.

Man up? Ok. I shave my chest stomach arms etc. I get my hair relaxed once a month. I hunt in designer jeans. I workout 6 days a week. I'm 6'4" 285lbs and as of yesterday I was 12.5% bodyfat. Am I metro sexual? I don't know. Am I gay? Heck no! I love video games and play them with my son as common ground. My kids watch DVD movies on long trips and I spoil my kids rotten.

I don't know what you would call me but what I call myself is someone who cares about their looks, loves his kids more than life itself and do things a little differently than the older generation. I do however require all my kids to learn how to lead and thats my only requirement. My son can play xbox for 4 days straight. If he ever makes less than a b on his report card or if my lawn doesn't look immaculate then his butt is mine and he is grounded for a week. No warnings are given at my house. Lead and enjoy life or be lazy and dads gonna take over.

Video games don't mean anything other than it's a new generation. Deal with it guys. Your parents thought heavy metal was satanic music remember? Scary to think that you are now one of those geezers stuck in the past.

Don't be surprised if he ends up in your basement at 35 playing video games for 4 days straight. A "B" on a report card means nothing is he actually learning a work ethic. We are forced to water grades down for the kids that play video games 4 days straight.

Do you work at the Pizza Pit drive an old Hyuandi and been featured in GQ.

Stinky, the fact that you play the games with him of course is great. Any time you spend time with your kids it is hard to go wrong.

About the DVD in the car. That time should be spent imparting the wisdom you have gained over lifetime. I spend that time telling my kids who to hate etc.... You could talk to your kids about your % of body fat, what you discussed at the hair dressers, and any juicy rumors that you heard lately, make fun of your elders moobs........
Well.... maybe it is better if they just watch the transformers when you drive. :)

Stinky learns his shooting skilz from XBox...

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom