Memories of Dad

eelgrass

Long Time Member
LAST EDITED ON Jan-15-09 AT 06:10PM (MST)[p]My dad passed away at the age of 85 on Dec. 24 2008. Among other things he was a veteran of WWII, and I thought it might be interesting and/or educational to some of you to recount some of his experiences during that period of his life.

I'm not a very eloquent writer like Roy or Predator but I'll do my best. Some of it is historic, some of it is humerous, some of it is informative, and some of it is down right ugly.

The specific accomplishments of his outfit are pretty much a matter of public record, so I don't want to delve too much into that part of it. What I would like to do is try to pass on a few of the personal stories that he shared with me over the years. And I would also like to share a few of his photographs during that time.

He was a member of the 373rd General Service Regement, an outfit that was activated during the war and was deactivated shortly after the war. This link is about all I can find, and I think it is not totally accurate (from what dad told me and from another member of his Company whom I have spoken with recently)

http://www.military.com/HomePage/UnitPageFullText/0,13476,714575,00.html

He was not your classic combat soldier. The engingers were mostly skilled people whos purpose was to provide support for the war effort. They cleared mines, built roads and bridges, set up communication lines, and other work as needed. He never killed anybody or fired his weapon at anyone. But I think they were a vital link to victory both in the Pacific and in Europe where dad served.

Dad was born in August 1923 in Haskell, Oklahoma (big turtle hunting country:)). At a young age his family left Oklahoma as part of the migration of people who were leaving the Dust Bowl areas and the Depression, seeking a new and better life in California. They settled in Hilmar, CA where he attended school and worked on the local farms as much as he could. While working and going to school he learned how to weld. A lot of farmers called on him because of his welding skills. When Japan attacked Pearl Harbor dad was too young to enlist, but he shortly heard of good welding jobs in the shipyards around Oakland, so he dropped out of school and landed a job there. He became very proficient at over head welding and was liked very much by his supervisor. They were making ships as fast as they could to aid the war effort. He was making good money and even bought himself a 1932 Ford coupe with a flat head V-8. He loved that car.

One day he got his draft notice in the mail. He showed it to his supervisor and his surervisor said "Give me that and I'll see that you get an exemption as I need you here." Dad said "No way, I'm going to join the Army and serve."

to be continued.......

EDIT:I can't get that link to work, sorry

twas a damn good man eel. condolensces to you and the family. look forward to reading more about him.

Ell sorry to hear about your dad passing away on X-Mas eve that would be a tough time. That's a good read, sounds like he was a stand up guy I like the part about him wanting to go and not stay at his current job. I look forward to the rest. Hope all is well with your family. Jason

Eel, thank you for sharing about your Dad. Keep it coming. And make sure you are keeping it and documenting as much as you can about him and his life. That family history stuff is the greatest gift you can give to future generations.

HOPE YOU'RE HANGIN IN THERE eel!!!

IT'S GOTTA BE TOUGH!!!

THIS IS INTERESTING STUFF!!!

KEEP IT COMMING!!!

"I'M NOT COMPLAINING,I'M TELLING IT THE WAY IT IS,SOME OF YOU MAY NOT LIKE IT,THATS O.K.,SOMETIMES THE TRUTH HURTS & YOU HAVE TO ACCEPT IT,OR YOU FIND OUT WHAT THE FACTS ARE,STAND UP & VOICE YOUR OWN OPINION,THIS IS STILL AMERICA THE LAST TIME I CHECKED"!!!

493c3bb236d04499.jpg

REMEMBER!!!

THERE'S ONLY ONE bobcat!!!

LAST EDITED ON Jan-15-09 AT 09:05PM (MST)[p]Eel, thanks for posting memories of your dad. My dad would have been 85 in '08 as well. We lost him in '06. Memories mean everything ... keep them comming. Dad went to Germany with the occupation troops. Army air corps.

He loved hunting deer.

Dad was 80 when he dropped the last buck.

RUS

Sorry to hear of your Dad's passing Eel! Seems like a good, as well as interesting, thing you're doing here.

Joey

I just now discovered that some photos are with my brother in Oregon so....

Dad did basic training in Camp Claiborn, Louisiana and when they found out he was a welder he was sent to Fort Leonard Wood Missouri, for further training and was assigned to the 373rd Engineers. One day they all loaded up on a train and headed North. Nobody knew where because everything was top secret. They kept going North until they reached Halifax, Nova Scotia. That night, about midnight, they were marched down to the pier and boarded a huge transport ship. It turned out to be the HMS Mauritania, a converted ocean liner. Still no word as to where they were headed. Only after they were well out to sea were they informed that England was their destination. It was part of the build up in preperation for D-Day and the invasion of France.

While on the ship they were each assigned a bunk. Dads bunk was down on one of the lower decks and just happened to be directly under a fresh air vent, a very desirable spot. The Mauritania was a British ship and was manned by British sailors. One sailor told dad, "I don't know where you're sleeping Yank, but it ain't in this bunk. This is where we play poker." Dad has always been an excellent poker player, so all he said was, "Can I play?" "Sure Yank, we'll take your money!"

It took about 6 days to get to Liverpool England and by the time they arrived he had a big wad of funny looking British money. He had no idea how much. After they got settled in he got a pass to go to town. He and several of his buddies went into a pub and dad told the bartender he wanted to buy some beer but didn't know how much money he had. One look and the bartender said "You're bloody rich mate!" Dad always laughed about that.

As a general rule the British civilians weren't too happy with all the Americans invading their country. Their gripe was that the Americans were "over paid, over sexed, and over here." There was the usual prostitution going on, on the QT of course. Dad said one night he was walking down the street and he could hear a GI negotiating with one of the local gals. All he heard was "Five pounds????? I wouldn't pay five pounds to F^&% the Queen!" That was another thing that he remembered over the years.

About the worst part of being in Liverpool was the V-2 rockets. A V-2 rocket was a crude rocket that the Germans launched from France. They were launched and only fell to the ground when they ran out of fuel. As long as you could hear them it was safe, but when they sputtered and ran out of fuel, you better look for cover.

His main assignment in England was to build invasion camps, really just big tent cities. He was pulled aside and spent quite a bit of time working on the British Mulberries, which was a floating dock that was towed over to France on D-Day.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mulberry_harbour

to be continued......

Nice stories Eel. I'm sorry for the loss of your dad, but those memories will live on richly for you, for a long time. I too lost my father on Christmas Eve, in 1980; so I know how difficult that can be.

It's funny, in a strange way, that you wrote this today. I was hosting Fishlakeelkhunter on my duck club this afternoon, and we got to talking about my father. I was telling Jason about him dying at the duck club on Christmas eve, and about some of our last duck hunts out there. Those are still some great memories, and I'm sure you have many great ones of your dad.

Sorry to hear about your father eel. Sounds like a damn fine man. Thanks for the stories, you seem to be able to hold your own when it comes to writing!! Keep them coming.

Sorry for your loss eel.My dad died when he was 47yrs.old.I dont know what I would do if I didnt have all the memories with me each and every day.Just remember,you can still talk to him.His voice is still there,just not as loud.Stay strong(ROD)

"Five pounds????? I wouldn't pay five pounds to F^&% the Queen!" Now there is a quote that is too funny to forget.

Thanks again Eel. Keep it up. My Dad passed away five years ago Feb 6. I still see him in everything I do around the ranch. I still miss him but this sort of thing, this talking about it, helps a lot.

>Eel,
>What happened to the 1932 Ford
>Coupe???
>
>Brian

LOL There's a classic car guy response for ya! I was wondering the same thing though, Brian.

Here is a photo of Dad right after basic training, and a photo of his Sharpshooter Certificate. He was very proud of that.

49713074590e9a22.jpg

497130a759ec0daa.jpg

Here is a photo he took of the V-2 rocket damage while in England.

497131075b319fb7.jpg

A few days after D-Day (June 6th, 1944) the 373rd landed on Utah Beach. and immediatly headed North to the port of La Harve. They were the first Americans into La Harve. Their assignment was to open the port for shipping and begin repairing the railroad to ship supplies to the future front lines. Prior to D-Day the British had bombed the German stronghold at La Harve and what was left the Germans destroyed before they retreated. The railroad was so heavily mined and so many men were lost that the order to abandon the railroad was given and they started work on a road that became known as the White Ball Highway.

As the Germans retreated they also destroyed or heavily damaged the bridges behind them. At this point the 373rd was working very close to the American and British combat troops. It would remain so until they reached Berlin over a year later.

One night dad and another welder were welding on a bridge and the guy with him was killed by a sniper. From then on, whenever they welded at night they were provided with a shield so the flash of the arc wouldn't be such an easy target.

The only time he got in trouble was one day they were on the move and they stopped to spend the night in a town in France. They noticed a bombed out church and decided to use it to sleep in. I guess it was a Catholic church because down in the basement they found that the bombs had uncovered some graves. I think it was custom to bury the priests under the church? Anyway they found some skulls and thought it would be fun to put candles in them for lighting. Some of the locals found out and they really raised heck. Dad and his buddies got a pretty stern talking to.

At that time there was a pretty steady stream of airplanes flying between England and Germany as the Allies were slowly gaining the upper hand. Bombers headed for Germany was a daily ritual, weather permitting. One day Dad was on the Rhine River and they had strung a communications cable over the river. As they were working they noticed a B-17 bomber flying down the river right above the water. They figured it was crippled or had some mechanical problem and was limping home to the nearest friendly base. As it got closer they could see the crew in the cockpit and the waist gunners were waving and everyone on the bank started cheering and waving back. The pilot didn't see the cable stretched across the river and flew right into it! The big plane cartwheeled and dropped into the river in a ball of flames. A boat was immediatly launched but it was futile. The entire plane and crew simply disappeared beneath the current.

truly a good post and thanks, you guys hang in there ,,,,, and by the way it looks to me that your a bona fideeee real oakie :)

Eel, Sometimes I wonder why I spend so much time here. Your old man sounds like he was a hell of a guy. Reminds me of my Grandfather. Thanks.

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

Dad said the winter of '44 was bitterly cold and they were ill prepared for it. The fighting slowed down and Hitler actually launched a counter offensive, known as the Battle of the Bulge. More Americans died (about 20,000) during the Battle of the Bulge, making it the bloodiest battle of WWII for Americans. The Germans threw everything they had into it, knowing it was the last chance to save the motherland. Dad didn't speak much about what he did specifically.

By Spring the tide had turned and it was evident that victory was eminent. He told the story about how some British infantry had routed some Germans out of a small village, and they had discovered a concentration camp. It was a forced labor camp made up entirely of Polish men. They were captured in Poland and brought to Germany. Since the 373rd was close by they were sent in to provide whatever assistance they could. (It was while he was there that he aquired a German P-38 pistol somehow. I remember seeing it as a kid but dad later traded it off for a shotgun.) He said these Polish men were pretty thin but nothing like you think about in other German concentration camps. The first thing they did was go out into this field and killed a horse that was there. They built a big fire and cooked and ate as much as they could, but most of them got sick and threw up. Dad said they had orders to help them but not to interfere. They spoke Polish so he couldn't understand them anyway, but he could tell they were pretty pissed. That night they went down into the little village and systematically burned down every building there, and by morning they had disappeared, presumably headed back to Poland.

Shortly after that the Germans were surrendering by the droves, so they were ordered to build POW enclosures, usually single or double strand barbed wire that was kind of a joke. They had no fight left in them. They were mostly looking for something to eat. Also at that time they were working on putting in some new water lines. One day he asked for volunteers. He needed 10 men to help dig a trench. He said if they helped they would get some K rations. He said about 50 German soldiers piled into the truck!

On May 8, 1945 Germany surrendered.

Within a few days their commanding officer infromed them that he had some good news and some bad news. The good news was that they were going home!!!! The bad news was that he had volunteered the 373rd Engineers for the invasion of Japan. They would go home, take a 30 leave and report back to begin training.

While he was home on leave, the two atomic bombs were dropped on Japan and the war was over!

Here is a photo taken somewhere in Europe right after the war. Dad is on the far right

4971699c1457c1d5.jpg

Oh by the way Brian and Jenn, when Dad got home the first thing he did was check on his 32 Ford. While he was gone his sister drove it and wrecked it beyond repair. He was sick about it for years!

To everyone, thanks for all the kind remarks. It means very much to me. I think it's important to remember all the heroes of all our nations wars. We owe them more than we can ever repay!

Eel

eelgrass-- just remember --- old hunters never die, they just have better camo.........................

Eel,

This past Sept 12th was the 50th year since my Dad's passing from a Heart Attack, back then there was no med/tech to help him. I still miss him and go to the cemetary where he and my Mom now are back together. It is hard and we will all go through this sooner or later and we will survive.

My Mom passed away almost 4 years ago so it only gets harder as time goes on. Keep the faith Steve and always remember them like they were.

Brian

P.S. If my sister had wrecked my car, they would have been barred from ever driving a car I owner. LOL

Sorry to hear about your pops Eel. Bet he would be tickled knowing your telling his story.

The loss is something we all go thru, lost both of mine a cpl years ago. hang in there.

That's a great read Steve and even more so since you are writing a tribute about your Dad. I can tell you two were very close which makes it even more special. I would say he must of been a heck of a Dad or as you called him Pops. I like yourself was very fortunate to have a Dad that always took the time with me when I was growing up and he was and always will be my hero and as I have said before the best buddy I have ever had and I have not used that term towards very many people in my entire life. I believe your Dad was a not only a father but a buddy to you also. Keep those memories alive as they are precious.
Thanks Steve for sharing some of your Dad's life.

Jim

Its obvious to me that most of the good things about him were passed on to you! It most definitely has to be a difficult time for you and your family, all my respect and regards.

48696fc97cd60c01.jpg

"chin up little soldier"

My condolences eelgrass. I lost my father to cancer 6 years ago when he was 53. It never goes away. Take care, mtmuley

Sorry to hear of your Dad's passing. My Dad has told me all kinds of his Navy experiences from the time I was a small boy- because of him I love to learn/read of stories of WWII- it was great reading of your fathers experiences. It is too late to do this, but I have a nephew that sat my Dad in front of a video camera to capture him relating these stories (or a lot of them) to preserve for posterity.There is also an on-line publishing company called Heritage Makers where you can put together storybooks with pictures, stories, graphics, etc. I retired from Nevada State Parks after a 35 yr. career; my wife did a 20 page photo-essay of my life entitled "Looking Back". You might want to consider doing one for yourself or your family as a tribute to your Dad.

NVPete, I'll check into that, thanks!

We now have a whole new generation of brave Americans fighting on our behalf. I hope that their history is preserved. If you have friends or relatives serving please take the time to talk to them about it. It will be good for them and you.

Eel

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom