meat processing

I

IDhunter

Just wondering how everyone else cut up their deer. How many take it to a butcher, or cut it up yourself? I cut mine up myself. I usually cut the loins into steaks and then roast the rest. That is faster and then if you want steaks you just cut the roast into steaks as you want them. This year we are going to try to bottle some of it and see how we like that. I am not a great butcher, so if any of you have any good tips I'm always glad to hear them. What do you all do with the ribs, I haven't found a good way to cut them and there is never very much meat on them. We are getting ready to cut up a deer my brother in law gave us, he likes to hunt, but don't like to eat them. We haven't been lucky enough to get one this year so my 12 year old was way excited to skin it. He did a good job and had lots of fun even if he hasn't got to shoot at one yet.

I do my own and have some butchered, depends on how many I have to do or how busy I am that week. As for the ribs it may sound funny but use a sawzall with a metal blade. Cuts clean and just make sure you wash it afterwards.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-24-09 AT 04:23PM (MST)[p]I just use a fillet knife to cut all the rib meat from between the bones, and turn that into burger. You can zip it all off with virtually no waste in less than 10 minutes.

Do you let is hang a couple of days or just start right in. I have seen hunters process it while still in camp. Some of us drive a while and it makes things easier. Some prefer to hand it in a cooler 2-3 days.

What do you find best?

Thanks

I usually let mine hang for about 3 days. I also don't skin them until I am ready to cut them up, that way you don't have all the dried outside meat to trim. If I get one thats big enough to cape, then I cut them up immediately after caping them.

I cut mine up myself after hanging for afew days.I leave the hide on mine also until ready cut it up. Then I have steaks,roasts and some jerky.

I process all of my own. I use the sawsall on hogs, but bone out all of the game meat. This year all front quarters have gone to jerky, except the sinewy lower legs which get ground. Neck meat goes to stew or ground. Rib meat gets ground, back straps and tenderloins to steaks, hind quarters to steaks, roasts, and stew. Scraps to ground.

As stated above, leave the hide on until your ready to butcher, unless boning it out in the field.

Most is vacuum sealed and frozen. I keep the jerky in the freezer as well to keep it fresh. I bottle a couple dozen quarts of stew meat from all the animals. Makes some nice quick meals.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom