MDF US 89 Pauns crossing

T

TFinalshot

Thoughts? Good idea, bad, wont know till we try? From MDF:

November 11, 2011

Mule Deer Foundation Supports US-89 Paunsaugunt Deer Crossing Project

SALT LAKE CITY, Utah ? In early November the Mule Deer Foundation
(MDF) took decisive steps to protect wildlife, while working across state lines and collaborating with state agencies and other groups.

MDF has ranked the US-89 Paunsaugunt Deer Crossing Project as a top priority for receiving funds from the Arizona Special Big Game License Program for Mule Deer. MDF has committed funds from this Program ? $25,000 per year, for the next four years ? to help pay for materials and installation of fencing and wildlife crossings on US-89 between the Arizona border to Kanab, Utah.

The Paunsaugunt deer herd, one of the premier mule deer herds in the Southwest, summers in Utah and winters in northern Arizona on the renowned Arizona Strip deer herd unit. The herd must cross US-89 twice each year during the spring and fall migration, and a significant number of deer are killed by vehicle collisions. Good solutions for the long stretch of highway seemed impractical. However, a recent review of accident data showed that onstructing fencing along an 11.5 mile section would be a major help to reducing accidents.

The goal of the US-89 Paunsaugunt Deer Crossing Project is to provide safe passage for mule deer and improve safety for motorists and wildlife on Highway 89. The plan is to fence the highest accident area, between MP 36.8 to 48.2. The ends of the fencing will tie into existing large bridges at each end, where animals can cross under the highway. Because of the limited distance deer are willing to travel to look for crossing opportunities, four wildlife passages will also be constructed.

MDF President and CEO Miles Moretti commented, ?What's unusual, and also special, about this project is that MDF volunteers and Utah dedicated hunters will help build escape ramps for deer that might still end up on the highway. These efforts will help save more deer, as well as $150,000 in construction costs.?

MDF is partnering on this $2.4 million endeavor with state agencies and other conservation groups. The Utah Dept. of Transportation has allotted Enhancement Funding dollars from both federal and state funds. Additional monies include up to $50,000 from Utah?s Conservation Permit Program and $15,000 per year for the first two years through the Arizona Game and Fish Department's Big Game Donation funds.

Ground work should begin on the US-89 Paunsaugunt Deer Crossing
Project next year.

Tel.: 719-221-0732
E-mail: [email protected]

www.tonybynum.com

"Roadless areas, in general, represent some of the best fish and wildlife habitat on public lands. The bad news is that there is nothing positive about a road where fish and wildlife habitat are concerned -- absolutely nothing." (B&C Professor, Jack Ward Thomas, Fair Chase, Fall 2005, p.10).

Seems like a good idea. Will the deer actually use the tunnels though? Or will they just go further down the road where they can cross in the 'wide open'? Rhetorical question I guess, as I assume there are some wildlife biologists that have some effectiveness studies to back this idea up.

I went to college in SLC and would frequently make road trips back here to Phoenix for the weekends (a LONG time ago). Never hit a deer, but had several close calls in the middle of the night on that stretch of road!

S.

:)

Interesting.. I wish they would build overpasses instead of underpasses though. I have watched deer use underpasses but the ones I've seen do it very reluctantly. They usually hesisitate for quite a while and then make a mad dash under the road. Here in southern utah a deer fence was constructed along I-15 between Anderson Junction and the top of the Black Ridge to decrease accidents along that stretch of road. It worked great but the problem now is some deer dont use the underpasses and travel south along the fence until they reach the end of the deer fence near Leeds and end up getting hit as they try to cross the interstate there.

I wonder if these "drift" fences lead to choke points for predators including hunters?

www.tonybynum.com

"Roadless areas, in general, represent some of the best fish and wildlife habitat on public lands. The bad news is that there is nothing positive about a road where fish and wildlife habitat are concerned -- absolutely nothing." (B&C Professor, Jack Ward Thomas, Fair Chase, Fall 2005, p.10).

They will definately be choke points. During the any weapon and management hunt there will be hunters congregated at every crossing.

Another meaning to "road hunter"!

Steve
Derkha derkha Muhammed jihad hakha sherpha sherpha abakhala- Gary of Team America World Police

Whatever they build,don't build any more Deer crossings like the ones they built by Jordanelle,them got every Big Game animal in the area killed.
I heard it was a School (collage) Boy that designed them?

Hot Dog,Hot Damn,I love this Ameri-can

The Migration there is a blood bath...Yes a choke point, the fish cops would have to have a 1 mile radius no shooting of each crossing! I never seen anything like it... when its on! cars pulled over every 100 yards..

It will save deer lives and probably human lives. There are many partners and people working on this. Seems like its on the fast track. Its a very good thing.

Fencing off the migration corridors creating forced bottle necks for them to migrate. Sounds like another type of human encroachment. These are wild animals not cattle or sheep. I believe this will have adverse affects to the herds more so than dodging vehicles.

"Courage is being scared to death but saddling
up anyway."

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom