MDF Dollars At Work

slamdunk

Tid bit off our Instagram page today....
Screenshot_20220216-144456_Instagram.jpg

Screenshot_20220216-144655_Instagram.jpg

Last edited:
Great job! I believe MDF does a lot of good for Utah's wildlife.

It would be nice to see how much of those funds came from the auctioning of Conservation Permits compared to the money from the $3.50 cut of Expo Tag proceeds or the profit from the Expo (admission, booth rental, sponsorship income, advertising income, etc), compared to which came from private funds raised not through the sale of public resources.

As I've said before, when a group takes public assets or funds, they have a high duty to account for the use of those funds.

A group can do whatever it wants with money raised from the sale of a cooler at a banquet, but we have a right to know what happens to the money raised from the sale of public property or that raised via an Expo that uses public property as the primary requisite inducement to attend.

An expense sheet (not even including operating expenses) isn't even half of the story.

Maybe MDF posts full audited financials like RMEF. Do you happen to know?

Last edited:
Great job! I believe MDF does a lot of good for Utah's wildlife.

It would be nice to see how much of those funds came from the auctioning of Conservation Permits compared to the money from the $3.50 cut of Expo Tag proceeds or the profit from the Expo (admission, booth rental, sponsorship income, advertising income, etc), compared to which came from private funds raised not through the sale of public resources.

As I've said before, when a group takes public assets or funds, they have a high duty to account for the use of those funds.

A group can do whatever it wants with money raised from the sale of a cooler at a banquet, but we have a right to know what happens to the money raised from the sale of public property or that raised via an Expo that uses public property as the primary requisite inducement to attend.

An expense sheet (not even including operating expenses) isn't even half of the story.

Maybe MDF posts full audited financials like RMEF. Do you happen to know?
Thanks Grizzly.
If you go the the General Forum and see my post titles "Expo Dollars", you'll see allocations there on each project throughout the regions.
I haven't seen anything that break down funds in an itemized fashion from Expo, but I'm sure there is such a thing above my pay grade ?

Thx. However, it's important to know the income side to compare against the expense side. The above graph shows ~$1.5MM in projects in 2021. There's obviously a difference if that's on $1.5MM in public revenue as compared to $3.5MM in public revenue.

The websites, pie charts, and oversized check photo-ops don't offer much of the picture without seeing the income gained via public assets.

Thx. However, it's important to know the income side to compare against the expense side. The above graph shows ~$1.5MM in projects in 2021. There's obviously a difference if that's on $1.5MM in public revenue as compared to $3.5MM in public revenue.

The websites, pie charts, and oversized check photo-ops don't offer much of the picture without seeing the income gained via public assets.
Go to their website and see "annual reporting"
2020 audit and older are right there.
I don't know what else I can offer ?‍♂️
Screenshot_20220216-205008_Chrome.jpg

Am I reading that correctly, 2.4 million in Salaries?
73K in Rent?
335K in Miscellaneous?

If I'm reading that correctly some heads should roll.

To put into more readable format, I see $11,700,000 in income and $8,900,000 in expenses classified as Tags, Convention, and Banquet. That leaves $2,800,000 net income from those items.

I'm seeing $4,300,000 spent on Projects. There is an income item called Project Revenue of $3,100,000. Is this offsetting income of the Project expense, or a separate item? I'm wondering if this is maybe something like grant funds used to supplement Projects?

Am I reading that correctly, 2.4 million in Salaries?
73K in Rent?
335K in Miscellaneous?

If I'm reading that correctly some heads should roll.
I can't break it down, it's over my head, all I can offer is what is public and obviously audited.
The corporate office must be rented, it's in South Jordan area of SLC.

I am not certain how many paid employees there are throughout the states involved, but 2.4 million is less than the wages at the company i work for with about 40 people.

If MDF employs 40 people then they aren’t getting paid much in “salary, wages and benefits” in that $2.4m. Your average government employee, not exactly the highest paid folks in the community, is likely to cost more than $75k per year when you factor salary and benefits. That would be more than the MDF folks if they employed 40 people. Now if that is 3 people, they’re making pretty good cheddar!

If MDF employs 40 people then they aren’t getting paid much in “salary, wages and benefits” in that $2.4m. Your average government employee, not exactly the highest paid folks in the community, is likely to cost more than $75k per year when you factor salary and benefits. That would be more than the MDF folks if they employed 40 people. Now if that is 3 people, they’re making pretty good cheddar!
Exactly. There's simply not enough information here, for example...

There's a substantial amount of money in Other, Miscellaneous, and Corporate.

We don't know the breakdown of wages.

We don't have line items of the big ticket categories... What if 2/3 of the money in Convention was paid to a consultant? * I 100% DO NOT THINK THAT IS THE CASE! * My point is just that there's just too much we don't know to infer much of anything.

What MDF has provided is much more than some other groups. It's up to each individual donor (including all residents of Utah) to decide if the reporting is adequate.

I personally have never gotten too wound up about MDF as I think there are better places to focus my attention and I do believe MDF has done a lot of good work throughout Utah.

The 40 employees are where I currently work, not MDF, I have no idea how many "paid employees" MDF has on their 2.4m payroll.

Either way, a 2.4m annual payroll is peanuts in comparison to the amount of money flowing through them and going into the ground by the salaried and thousands of volunteers involved to make it all happen.

I have offered all the financial information I can dig up which is far more clear than I have ever seen posted by anyone else or by any other organization.
I constantly post projects, funding and allocations, yet nothing is ever satisfactory.

I am waving the white flag on this topic and moving on.

I know the 40 came from your company, Slam. Was just using the number to illustrate that 2.4 may not be a big deal.

I’m not concerned about MDF. I feel like they’ve been open about what they do. I’m personally comfortable with the level of their accountability.

I know the 40 came from your company, Slam. Was just using the number to illustrate that 2.4 may not be a big deal.

I’m not concerned about MDF. I feel like they’ve been open about what they do. I’m personally comfortable with the level of their accountability.
Thank you Sir.
I am a lifetime member of this organization because I personally see the funding allocations and help put them into the ground myself.

I don't get lost in where "miscellaneous" funds go, I focus on the expense of that helicopter sitting at one of my hundreds of projects there to carry guzzler parts up the mountain and or the flight crew capturing deer for collaring studies or transplants.

We are an outstanding and very legitimate family dedicated to helping give back to a resource we all love, and 95% of us do it for free and for just the sense of pride that goes along with it ?

Im
Glad they got Cinnamon Creek, do you know if they will continue to overgraze it with sheep?
Slam
Thanks for your service
Im not familiar with that area at all, wish I had an answer for you, and for the rest of the state that seems to be overgrazed for that matter.
What those things don't eat, they trample and destroy.

Im
Im not familiar with that area at all, wish I had an answer for you, and for the rest of the state that seems to be overgrazed for that matter.
What those things don't eat, they trample and destroy.
Ya they turn it to dust a lot of water in there huge potential

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom