McGwire Fesses up!!

Roy

Well - we all knew he did it. Just a matter of time before the truth came out. Still I am saddened and disappointed yet glad he is telling the truth finally. He was one of my all time favorites!

Monday, January 11, 2010
McGwire apologizes to La Russa, Selig

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ESPN.com news services

NEW YORK -- Mark McGwire finally came clean Monday, admitting he used steroids when he broke baseball's home run record in 1998.

McGwire said in a statement sent to The Associated Press on Monday that he used steroids on and off for nearly a decade.

McGwire statement
Text of the statement Mark McGwire issued Monday, admitting he used steroids during his career:

"Now that I have become the hitting coach for the St. Louis Cardinals, I have the chance to do something that I wish I was able to do five years ago.

I never knew when, but I always knew this day would come. It's time for me to talk about the past and to confirm what people have suspected. I used steroids during my playing career and I apologize. I remember trying steroids very briefly in the 1989/1990 off season and then after I was injured in 1993, I used steroids again. I used them on occasion throughout the '90s, including during the 1998 season.

I wish I had never touched steroids. It was foolish and it was a mistake. I truly apologize. Looking back, I wish I had never played during the steroid era.

During the mid-'90s, I went on the DL seven times and missed 228 games over five years. I experienced a lot of injuries, including a ribcage strain, a torn left heel muscle, a stress fracture of the left heel, and a torn right heel muscle. It was definitely a miserable bunch of years and I told myself that steroids could help me recover faster. I thought they would help me heal and prevent injuries, too.

I'm sure people will wonder if I could have hit all those home runs had I never taken steroids. I had good years when I didn't take any and I had bad years when I didn't take any. I had good years when I took steroids and I had bad years when I took steroids. But no matter what, I shouldn't have done it and for that I'm truly sorry.

Baseball is really different now -- it's been cleaned up. The commissioner and the players' association implemented testing and they cracked down, and I'm glad they did.

I'm grateful to the Cardinals for bringing me back to baseball. I want to say thank you to Cardinals owner Mr. DeWitt, to my GM, John Mozeliak, and to my manager, Tony La Russa. I can't wait to put the uniform on again and to be back on the field in front of the great fans in Saint Louis. I've always appreciated their support and I intend to earn it again, this time as hitting coach. I'm going to pour myself into this job and do everything I can to help the Cardinals hitters become the best players for years to come.

After all this time, I want to come clean. I was not in a position to do that five years ago in my congressional testimony, but now I feel an obligation to discuss this and to answer questions about it. I'll do that, and then I just want to help my team."

"I wish I had never touched steroids," McGwire said in a statement. "It was foolish and it was a mistake. I truly apologize. Looking back, I wish I had never played during the steroid era."

During a 20-minute phone call with The AP on Monday, McGwire says he called commissioner Bud Selig and Cardinals manager Tony La Russa earlier in the day to personally apologize.

In an interview with ESPN's "Baseball Tonight", La Russa said he didn't know McGwire had used steroids until the slugger had admitted using performance-enhancing drugs in the phone call to the manager earlier Monday.

"I'm really encouraged that he would step forward," La Russa told ESPN. "As we go along his explanations will be well received."

McGwire also used human growth hormone, a person close to McGwire said, speaking on condition of anonymity because McGwire didn't include that detail in his statement.

McGwire's decision to admit using steroids was prompted by his decision to become hitting coach of the St. Louis Cardinals, his final big league team. La Russa, McGwire's manager in Oakland and St. Louis, has been among McGwire's biggest supporters and thinks returning to the field can restore the former slugger's reputation.

La Russa told ESPN that his feelings haven't changed about McGwire's joining the team as hitting coach.

"I never knew when, but I always knew this day would come," McGwire said. "It's time for me to talk about the past and to confirm what people have suspected."

He became the second major baseball star in less than a year to admit using illegal steroids, following the New York Yankees' Alex Rodriguez last February.

Others have been tainted but have denied knowingly using illegal drugs, including Barry Bonds, Roger Clemens, Sammy Sosa and David Ortiz.

Bonds has been indicted on charges he made false statements to a federal grand jury and obstructed justice. Clemens is under investigation by a federal grand jury trying to determine whether he lied to a congressional committee.

"I'm sure people will wonder if I could have hit all those home runs had I never taken steroids," McGwire said. "I had good years when I didn't take any, and I had bad years when I didn't take any. I had good years when I took steroids, and I had bad years when I took steroids. But no matter what, I shouldn't have done it and for that I'm truly sorry."

Big Mac's reputation has been in tatters since March 17, 2005, when he refused to answer questions at a congressional hearing. Instead, he repeatedly said "I'm not here to talk about the past" when asked whether he took illegal steroids when he hit a then-record 70 home runs in 1998 or at any other time.

"After all this time, I want to come clean," he said. "I was not in a position to do that five years ago in my congressional testimony, but now I feel an obligation to discuss this and to answer questions about it. I'll do that, and then I just want to help my team."

The person close to McGwire said McGwire made the decision not to answer questions at that hearing on the advice of his lawyers.

In the interview with ESPN, La Russa said of McGwire's testimony: "The one thing he did not do is lie. And I don't think he ever would."

McGwire disappeared from the public eye following his retirement as a player following the 2001 season. When the Cardinals hired the 47-year-old as coach on Oct. 26, they said he would address questions before spring training, and Monday's statement broke his silence.

"I remember trying steroids very briefly in the 1989/1990 offseason and then after I was injured in 1993, I used steroids again," McGwire said in his statement. "I used them on occasion throughout the '90s, including during the 1998 season."

McGwire said he took steroids to get back on the field, sounding much like the Yankees' Andy Pettitte two years ago when he admitted using HGH.

"During the mid-'90s, I went on the DL seven times and missed 228 games over five years," McGwire said in the statement. "I experienced a lot of injuries, including a ribcage strain, a torn left heel muscle, a stress fracture of the left heel, and a torn right heel muscle. It was definitely a miserable bunch of years, and I told myself that steroids could help me recover faster. I thought they would help me heal and prevent injuries, too."

Since the congressional hearing, baseball owners and players toughened their drug program twice, increasing the penalty for a first steroids offense from 10 days to 50 games in November 2005 and strengthening the power of the independent administrator in April 2008, following the publication of the Mitchell Report.

"Baseball is really different now -- it's been cleaned up," McGwire said. "The commissioner and the players' association implemented testing and they cracked down, and I'm glad they did."

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

UTROY
Proverbs 21:19 (why I hunt!)

kind of like darner huh?
anything to get their name in the book,admit it,this world is fony even more fony than we know.

soon the love in his heart will be the rage in his fist

Jesus is coming and boy is he pissed

4b4654d74c2d46ca.jpg

It doesn't mention which steroids he admitted too.
He already admitted to using "ANDRO" back then, which is now on the list of banned substances.
I still have numerous bottles of this same crap i got form Twinlab when it was on OTC testosterone booster.

Guess i shouldn't admit that or i could wind up in the pokey for having "steroids".

Hell i know a professional steer wrestler right now that uses steroids, when will they test the rodeo circuit??
You don't think even womens gymnatsics girls don't take some knind of something that gives them an edge over their competitors? Someday you'll hear whatever they take will be banned too, even if it's Flintstones vitamins.

As long as there is competitive sports there is ALWAYS going to be "performance enhancing designer drugs", i don't care what sport it is.

48288e6577d023b6.jpg

The irony is at the time I don't believe they were banned at the time-just that everyone is so freaky about it now.

BINGO cbeard!

Lets hear from the Armstrong fans.
How many Tour Defances did he win?
The man had testicular cancer and had testes removed, you don't think he was getting testosterone injections?
Even though prescribed by his doctor, i would bet my 401K that although his test levels fell well within the limit for what's considered "normal range" he was still at the very top of that range as compared to his competitors that were "clean".

48288e6577d023b6.jpg

Although i would never condone the use of performance enhancing drugs, i would NOT have a problem with athletes using them under the direction of their physicians as long as they stay within the "normal" ranges.

48288e6577d023b6.jpg

I'm shocked about McGwire! Who would have thought?

Well Slam, I agree with you, but I think any hunter who tests positive after taking a record book animal should have an asterisk by his or her name.:)

Eel

Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety.

Lol Eel!!
Ya i can see that i suppose.
It's just not fair that some guy with a higher test level can get into the back country where the big ones live faster than the guy who has a lower level.
Or the guy who can shoot further, he needs an asterisk as well.

Wait....Stinky can shoot milk jugs at 1200 yards all day long, but 15 shots at less than 500 to kill his bull.....It proves long range weapons are excluded in this rule. Lol

48288e6577d023b6.jpg

I say there should be no ban on "substances" These guys are professional athletes and they get paid to entertain & I want to see the best entertainment possible so I say if they are adults and they know what the risks are and feel like its worth the risk then let them juice it up!

Most athletes are already using something anyway.

I agree CS...other than it DOES need to be controlled and under a doctors guidance (IMO).

It won't be long and you'll see simple "Creatine" banned and considered a "controlled substance".....watch and see.

48288e6577d023b6.jpg

Yeah that would be great. Then you can tell the boy while playing catch out back, 'if you practice really hard on a daily basis, get good grades in school, get a college scholarship, and learn to juice up, you might have a shot at pro ball.'

Let's push to arrive at a place in time where the only sports figures are juicers and only juicers get to be sports figures. Wouldn't want to have any chance at all of clean players. In the mean time all the youth who hang their hat on a slim to none chance of ever playing pro ball can be encouraged to completely jack up their bodies doing whatever it takes to make that long shot happen.
4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

who would have thought that in the end, the most "honest" athlete was Jose Canseco?? [ or however his name is spelled]

"Now that I have become the hitting coach for the St. Louis Cardinals".

Smart move, waiting till your on the payroll to fess up.

"Yeah that would be great. Then you can tell the boy while playing catch out back, 'if you practice really hard on a daily basis, get good grades in school, get a college scholarship, and learn to juice up, you might have a shot at pro ball."

Geeez .45, that was a little harsh!

Of course i wouldn't want my own kid to juice and i did say above that i would never condone it ;-)
My point is that as an adult "under the supervision of a doctor" if one chooses or has a medical need to "rejuvenate" themselves in professional sports, i personally would not hold it against them as an athlete.
We teach our kids to grow up and make good decisions in life. But now we all know we didn't always do what daddy told us to once we flew the coop, did we?

Like i said earlier "Androstenedione" was an over the counter drug anyone could buy anywhere, even Wal-Mart.
The FDA banned anything that was a testosterone derivative and classified it as a steroid.
I'm not ashamed to openly admit i have used Andro and STILL have some that i had acquired prior to the ban about a year or two ago.
There come arrest me ;-) Lol

48288e6577d023b6.jpg

Everyone knew it, all those guys, probably 3/4 of the league was doing it.

I am a Cardinal fan, I am glad he came clean, good for all involved. He says he didn't want to be a distraction come spring training, and that I believe. I wouldn't be surprised if La Russa and him didn't have a good talk and decided for him to just tell it like it was. Then act surprised when the time came. As if he didn't know those A's teams were not in there shooting up.

You say everyone knew it, but apparantly Tony LaRussa didn't. Maybe he was too tanked to notice, but if you compare 1987 photos of mark (rookie year) it looks like he gained 100 pounds of pure muscle. Apparantly Tony must of thought that he was retaining water.

I love baseball but I get extremely tired of everyone, including Bud "I wasn't aware" Selig saying they knew nothing about steroids. They knew, ignored it due to revenue. Just don't keep telling me you didn't know when you had to be retarded not to know.

Rich

>Although i would never condone the
>use of performance enhancing drugs,
>i would NOT have a
>problem with athletes using them
>under the direction of their
>physicians as long as they
>stay within the "normal" ranges.
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
48288e6577d023b6.jpg

Agreed. I also feel that significant gains could be seen at far less dosage levels than what many athletes are taking. Legal...not legal....there will always be performance enhancers, and not just drugs/ergogenic aids.

Compromise, hell! ... If freedom is right and tyranny is wrong, why should those who believe in freedom treat it as if it were a roll of bologna to be bartered a slice at a time?

I have no problem with athletes, especially baseball players who have admitted to taking some form of performance enhancing substance... Reality is that these guys have a LONG season (160+ games, not including spring training, and off season workout routines) and that will take a toll on your body no matter who you are.

Back when all of these substances were being taken, the vast majority of the ones used were not banned at the time, and like Slam said, you get them at walmart! I could walk into golds gym or walmart when I was in High School and get a substance AS A MINOR that is now banned.

Another reality that people fail to look at is it wasn't only hitters taking these substances. There is a reason it has been given the nickname of the "Steroid Era"... Pitchers took those products as well! That means that no matter how you look at it, it was a fair match Pitcher vs Hitter or Hitter vs. Pitcher.

In the long run, the only people paying the price are the ones who used the substances improperly. They are the ones who will have to deal with it. That being said, why should I care what these guys put into their bodies? I enjoy watching what they accomplish, whether that be breaking home run records or winning the tour de france.

Lost In Oregon - I am totally with on Bud Selig man! Don't sit there and tell me he and all the other owners didn't know what was happening the whole time! They did, it was good for the game and for their pocketbooks and they purposefully turned a blind eye!

And come on - are you telling me that not one sports writer out there didn't know what was going on either? They didn't even try to investigate it in the late 80's and early 90's? Give me a freaking break! They either gave those guys a pass or weren't doing their jobs.

And you are absolutely right too Ozzman.

The whole era was so hypocritical about it. They created a culture that they are now trying to repent for and they all need to take a step back and accept their own role and responsibility.

That whole time period needs to be re-evaluated historically. I say put an asterisk by the whole freaking era and let the fans decide who to worship.

UTROY
Proverbs 21:19 (why I hunt!)

I still love McGwire. It doesn't change how I feel about him a bit. I love the Cardinals and I am happy to see him return to the organization. I think he's got a lot to offer as a hitting coach because steroids or not, he knew how to hit a baseball.

I lived in Missouri in 98' and I will NEVER forget that season in 1998 when the race between McGwire and Sosa was on. It was so good for baseball. I was lucky enough to be at Busch stadium the day McGwire tied Maris, too. They were playing the Cubs so Sammy Sosa was there and when McGwire jacked #61 out that hot, sticky Labor Day in 98' and it was the coolest thing I've ever been a part of. The whole stadium erupted. People were just going crazy. Sammy Sosa ran in from right field to hug McGwire as he crossed home plate, the Maris boys hugged him, The Blue Angels flew over...it was just SO COOL. It truly was a magical season.

As for the record...put an asterisk next to it and record it. He did hit 70 homers that season and broke Roger Maris' record and it was awesome. Maris' 61 homers record almost had an asterisk next to it. 1961, the year he hit 61 homers, was the first year the league played 162 games instead of 154. Also, they had just added new teams and people say the pitching was "watered down". People will argue that McGwire probably hit against juiced up hitters..etc. etc.

Bottom line- there is always someone who will complain about stuff in the record books. Just record it, asterisk it and as Roy said, let the fans decide who to worship.

I am one of the biggest McGwire fans you are likely to run in to, since his rookie year in Oakland. I dont care what he did, Im happy for him that he finally came clean, that has to be a load off of your shoulders after all of these years of duck and run for cover when questioned. I cant wait to see him pinch hit towards the end of the season, hopefully he gets 13 more and breaks the 600 mark.

>Back when all of these substances
>were being taken, the vast
>majority of the ones used
>were not banned at the
>time,

Not banned by MLB at the time, but a felony to posess.

The Anabolic Steroid Control Act of 1990

The Anabolic Steroid Control Act of 1990 added anabolic steroids to the federal schedule of controlled substances, thereby criminalizing their non-medical use by those seeking muscle growth for athletic or cosmetic enhancement. It places steroids in the same legal class as barbiturates, ketamine and LSD precursors. Those caught illegally possessing anabolic steroids even for purely personal use face arrest and prosecution. Under the Control Act, it is unlawful for any person knowingly or intentionally to possess an anabolic steroid unless it was obtained directly, or pursuant to a valid prescription or order, from a practitioner, while acting in the course of his professional practice (or except as otherwise authorized). A first offense simple possession conviction is punishable by a term of imprisonment of up to one year and/or a minimum fine of $1,000. Simple possession by a person with a previous conviction for certain offenses, including any drug or narcotic crimes, must get imprisonment of at least 15 days and up to two years, and a minimum fine of $2,500, and individuals with two or more such previous convictions face imprisonment of not less than 90 days but not more than three years, and a minimum fine of $5,000. Distributing anabolic steroids, or possessing them with intent to distribute, is a federal felony. An individual who distributes or dispenses steroids, or possesses with intent to distribute or dispense, is punishable by up to five years in prison (with at least two additional years of supervised release) and/or a $250,000 fine ($1,000,000 if the defendant is other than an individual). Penalties are higher for repeat offenders

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom