Mapping programs

H

hornhunter247

What are some good mapping programs that you guys like? I use google earth quite a bit but I'd like to do more than just zoom. Thanks for any input

I just call em as I see em!

I typically use Google Earth for almost everything. I also use arcGIS explorer some as it has a lot of options for basemaps as well as online data, but the 3d view on google earth sets it apart for general scouting purposes. And I feel like it responds better and is a bit more user friendly. But that could be because I'm more accustomed to it.

WYmoose

ArcGIS Explorer for desktop should come with ArcScene, which is a 3D viewer. I like that. You can view all the same data that you can see in ArcView or ArcInfo, but in 3D with ArcScene. Because so many people use shapefiles, it makes it much easier for me to get and share information on maps.

I also like the analyst options in ArcGIS like viewshed, etc.

mapasolution.blogspot.com

Thanks for the feed back guys! Wapiti I've seen your maps and overlays on here before and was very impressed with them! I'm going to try it out and see how it goes.

I just call em as I see em!

Are you sure ArcScene comes with ArcGIS explorer? I do GIS all day for work and always thought that it was only available with ArcGIS desktop ($1500 yearly license) - arcGIS explorer is their free program. I'm interested if this is true though.

WYmoose

Sweet Video WapatiBob! That works pretty slick. It took me a minute to figure it out - I just had to zoom out and back in as you mentioned at the end of your video.

WYmoose

ArcScene isn't included with Explorer Desktop.

If the state you are scouting has the info available in KMZ format, GE is a good choice. It's quicker and the 3d is better, easier to use. If most of the info is in shape format or FS maps are NAD83 geo referenced, ArcGis Explorer will make it easier. So far, over 3 states I have looked at this year, Bing basemaps are much clearer that the their GE equivalent. Unfortunately, native Bing support is leaving ArcGis Explorer but can be added for no cost.
I have both on my box but end up using ArcGis because of the available datasets. Use what gives you the best results.

My mistake. You guys are right. ArcScene does not come with ArcGIS explorer.

mapasolution.blogspot.com

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom