Map of Wildfires

It's shocking the number and size of some of these fires. And that the fire season has a way to go.
sad.gif

Eldorado

I hope alot of the Conservation money can go to reseeding these places with good feed. The Book Cliffs fire is burning some major wintering grounds

I agree. Big fires.
Thanks for the link, pretty cool to look at all of them. The news does a poor job of describing where they actually are.
Zeke

Fires can restore the health of the land when they're not hot and prolonged. When they are, the soil is burned to the point of being unable to support nutritious grasses. Cheatgrass and other noxious weeds have a better affinity for these types of fire damaged soils.

Eldorado

Here is a different map where i've overlayed hunt boundaries for Utah with the fire areas. You can see the fire perimeters (not just a dot), and hunt boundaries at the same time. From what I understand, the fire information is updated daily.

If you click within a fire area you will first see the hunt unit in the pop-up (if the hunt boundaries layer is turned on). Click the little arrow in the top right of the pop-up to see a little more info about that fire.

http://www.arcgis.com/apps/OnePane/basicviewer/index.html?appid=37c14b3463e949b4b4e1036548846f04

>Fires can restore the health of
>the land when they're not
>hot and prolonged. When they
>are, the soil is burned
>to the point of being
>unable to support nutritious grasses.
>Cheatgrass and other noxious weeds
>have a better affinity for
>these types of fire damaged
>soils.
>
>Eldorado

Exactly! Not only do these hot, prolonged fires burn the minerals out of the soil, they also kill all the symbiotic (mycorrhizal) fungi that 90%+ of the earth's plants need to grow. Without these fungi, reseeding does very little to renew the forage. But cheatgrass is also called cheatgrass because it thrives without these mycorrihizal fungi. It's nasty stuff!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom