Man cave/ guy room pics needed for new remodeling job.

C

chas

just got the "ok" from the wife to remodel the basement any way I wish. She said it's all for me and my "outdoor crap". I would love to get a few ideas of some finished guy rooms/MAN CAVES. Thanks.

"Outdoor Crap" now that's offensive. Where does she keep all of her "Girly Crap"? I know, all over the place. Just kiddin Chas.

I'm in the mortgage bussiness. One time I got an appraisal report back on a house that I was refinancing up in the Bitteroots in MT. Holy Cow this guy's whole house was full of hunting trophies. I mean even the bathrooms had animals hanging off the wall. I wish I could share some of the pics because it was truly amazing, but it's against the law. I just thought that I'd bring that up because it's the only appraisal report that I remember so vividly and I did it several years ago.

"Vegetarians are cool. All I eat are vegetarians - except for the occasional mountain lion steak."
-Ted Nugent-

build a vault with a poured concrete wall, floor and ceiling and make sure it has vented duct work.

flyingbrass
cold dead hands
NRA Life Member

it's a trick......this is where I spent 5 years after one of those offers.....
dungeon2.JPG

great post/pic, thanks for sharing

JB
497fc2397b939f19.jpg

My wife lovingly refers to them as my dead heads, but she does like them. I think she just likes teasing me! Doesn't complain about the taxidermy costs, either, so she pretty much gets to buy whatever she wants also. I have the entire basement to myself and she helps arrange it so it is at least balanced. Two trophy rooms, a full reloading room, two guest bedrooms, and a bath for my friends who come to hunt sometimes.

Upstairs I have managed to get a 16# brown trout, 4x4 mule deer antlers on a plague, and two antelope but I don't push my luck. The rest of the wildlife there is just waterfowl artwork that she picks out, and frames which accent the furniture.

Here's a sample.

4b08cd497708c6de.jpg

4b08cdbe7835b057.jpg

4b08ce447a37e5b1.jpg

>What the hell are we supposed
>to do after that?
>Thanks alot.
>
>Damn, nice place. Thanks.
This is why I don't post pics of mine anymore lol....

2a0fcsk.gif

All we need now is for HH to post his man cave and really rub it in. As always, awesome Saskman.

Holy maccaroni Saskman! I knew you had to have one rediculous trophy room but you surpassed my expectations! Where would I find those hooks that you have your european mounted whitetails on?

Thanks,
That the theme I'm looking for. GREAT MOUNTS! I need to hunt more. Nice home, Thanks again.

>Holy maccaroni Saskman! I knew you
>had to have one rediculous
>trophy room but you surpassed
>my expectations! Where would I
>find those hooks that you
>have your european mounted whitetails
>on?

I would also like to know where you got the wrought iron work to mount the European mounts.

>>Holy maccaroni Saskman! I knew you
>>had to have one rediculous
>>trophy room but you surpassed
>>my expectations! Where would I
>>find those hooks that you
>>have your european mounted whitetails
>>on?
>
>
>I would also like to know
>where you got the wrought
>iron work to mount the
>European mounts.

A buddy up here in Saskatchewan makes them. He does sell them. He has a webpage: www.euromounter.com

I just spent the last year completing my man room. A couple tips for you:

Lighting: Plan your lighting accordingly. In my room, I put recessed eyeball lights that focus on the walls where mounts go or will go in the future and have multiple switches for various rows of lights.

Walls: put 3/4 inch plywood (the good stuff)up before you put the rock up. This will allow you you to hang anything, anywhere whichout fear of needing a stud. Some people put blocks of 2x4 in certain spots around the room but I am glad I did the plywood

TV: plan ahead where you will hang a tv (if you will). Then run all the wires behind the wall to a designated whole in the wall behind the tv. Also, put an outlet up there as well. Both will be covered by the tv and you wont have any cords running down. I get a lot of compliments on that. I don't have 1/10th the trophies of saskman but I am proud of the way my man room is shaping up. I'll get some pics up of the finished product. If you're interested, I'll post some before pics showing the tips I described above.

"Whatever you are, be a good one."
- Abraham Lincoln

My grandfather had the original man cave in his basement. I spent alot of time there when I was growing up in the '60s. He had a wall on hinges in his den that would open so we could shoot .22 from one end of the basement to the other!

MN, I would be interesting in some pics of the wiring for the flat screen. I am in the studwall phase of the man-cave over a shop. I will be watching this thread. Keep adding everyone, Saskman has an awesome setup no question, but you might have some other neat things as well, so don't be shy.
I would like some people to put up some ideas or something you would like but don't have as well. Pool tables, wet bars, fridge, reloading/work bench, living room area, TV, anyting, what would be your dream man cave.

>MN, I would be interesting in
>some pics of the wiring
>for the flat screen.
>I am in the studwall
>phase of the man-cave over
>a shop. I will
>be watching this thread.
>Keep adding everyone, Saskman has
>an awesome setup no question,
>but you might have some
>other neat things as well,
>so don't be shy.
>I would like some people to
>put up some ideas or
>something you would like but
>don't have as well.
>Pool tables, wet bars, fridge,
>reloading/work bench, living room area,
>TV, anyting, what would be
>your dream man cave.

I would love to have an area in my basement where I could have a small archery shooting range. A 20 yard range would suffice that is wide enough for about 3 people to shoot comfortably at the same time. If I ever get a house big enough this will be desined into it. I have seen a guys on archery talk and if I can find photos I will post it.

First off Saskman that is a sweet place. I just did my basement this summer and finished an office/trophy room. I only have a cell phone picture of one wall but you can see it ok. It is not fully decorated yet and I have not furnished it, but it is a work in progress. The other walls have some other mounts but I haven't got pictures of them here at work. I think track lighting does a good job of highlighting your animals. It is hard to see in the picture but the bottom of the walls are painted and glazed and it looks pretty nice.

4b0acd0614844755.jpg

Jason Yates
Basin Archery Shop
http://www.basinarcheryshop.com
5% OFF to all MonsterMuleys.com Members!!!
Discount code = monstermuleys

That's on the lines of what I'm considering. Nice room I like the lighting. Do you like the track lights? I was considering small recessed lights on the perimeter and larger ones in the center, all on dimmers.

I like the track lights because it allows you to add more lights easily and also allows you to point them where ever you want. If you cast light only from above you don't get the cool shadows on the wall. Track lights can shine at the animal and give cool shadows of your horns on the wall. I would recommend putting the track at least 36" from the wall. (and then pointing them back towards the animal) On bigger animals maybe more. I also put about 15 can lights in the room and use the track lights on a different switch.

Jason Yates
Basin Archery Shop
http://www.basinarcheryshop.com
5% OFF to all MonsterMuleys.com Members!!!
Discount code = monstermuleys

Here are a couple pictures of my "ManCave". Nothing fancy but it is my "Sanctuary". Basement room with low ceiling but it works.

4b0bfee660f12185.jpg

4b0bff03613cc50f.jpg

4b0bff2761a45ebd.jpg

4b0bff426204db78.jpg

Good grief, what kind of backing or support in the wall do you guys have to put these full body lions on the wall?

>MN, I would be interesting in
>some pics of the wiring
>for the flat screen.
>I am in the studwall
>phase of the man-cave over
>a shop. I will
>be watching this thread.
>Keep adding everyone, Saskman has
>an awesome setup no question,
>but you might have some
>other neat things as well,
>so don't be shy.
>I would like some people to
>put up some ideas or
>something you would like but
>don't have as well.
>Pool tables, wet bars, fridge,
>reloading/work bench, living room area,
>TV, anyting, what would be
>your dream man cave.

Here is what I did:

In this first picture you will see a blue box up high for the outlet. The lower blue box is an outlet. I ran the wires directly to those boxes. On the right side of the image you'll see an upper and lower 2 gang boxes with a 4" pvc pipe between the two. An internet connection is right next to the lower box. I ran the coax to the lower box up and out of the room. I ran hdmi, coax, component video, and regular a/v lines from bottom to top. The bottom are connected to a plate (picture below) and the top ran out of a hole I put in a standard 2 gang cover plate. Those all plugged directly into the tv. The benefit to the pvc pipe is that I can fish a new wire from top to bottom without having the wires get caught up in insulation. I put up extra blocking as you can see to hang the tv, this is the one wall I did not put plywood up on.

4b0c1f7f258b3ce7.jpg

The plates shown here can be purchased on ebay in about as many cominations as you want. I chose HDMI, coax, component & standard av (yellow/white/red). I can plug anything into the ports at the base of the wall and they will feed the signal to the tv without any wires showing. Yes, I did have to essentially buy cables to stay behind the wall (they can be removed easily because of the pvc pipe) but with ebay, I got most the cables very cheap.

4b0c1fce273b3ce7.jpg

Here is the final product. I moved the entertainment center so you can see. I am very happy they way it has worked out.

4b0c1fe827b0267e.jpg

- Abraham Lincoln

MN, thanks a ton!! that is the kind of stuff I need to know. I am severely behind on "new" electronics, HDMI this that and the other. But the tip of putting the pvc pipe there is priceless. Blocking... check. Plywood (3/4?)check.

BigMass, great, HUGE room there. Looks like you have more hunting to do with all that wall space. Absolutely love the Bobcat. What wood is that flooring?

>MN, thanks a ton!! that is
>the kind of stuff I
>need to know. I
>am severely behind on "new"
>electronics, HDMI this that and
>the other. But the
>tip of putting the pvc
>pipe there is priceless.
>Blocking... check. Plywood (3/4?)check.
>
>
>BigMass, great, HUGE room there.
>Looks like you have more
>hunting to do with all
>that wall space. Absolutely
>love the Bobcat. What
>wood is that flooring?

No problem. 3/4" is the right thickness. Be mindful that you will need to use different electrical boxes because of the the plywood. You will want the box like below to fasten over the plywood into the stud. Anything else and you'll have a big gap between the drywall and the box.

4b0c47022fc87b4d.jpg

- Abraham Lincoln

That fire place is GREAT. I like the hardwoods, they match well. Nice mounts also. Hey how do you change those lights. Rent a lift???

The floor and trim around the doors and windows is hickory, the wains cotting, chair rail, base board, and ceiling are clear cedar.
I know some guys on here are saying 3/4 inch plywood, I used 1/2 inch and it is very solid.

The inserts above the mantle on the fireplace are exact replicas of cave paintings found in France depicting ancient hunters. I have a loooooong collapsible pole with a cage on the end to change the bulbs.I used scaffolding to put the tongue and groove on the ceiling. I have one whole wall opposite the fireplace without any mounts yet. Hopefully I will be using it soon. I do have a fifteen and a half inch pronghorn at the taxidermist from this years Wyoming trip. I would really like to add a moose and a full body mount goat and sheep if I can save enough money.

I can't get over ALL the mounts. Are the guys who posted all married cause if you are ya got pretty cool wifes. Mine is to a point but not that degree. Thanks for the tips love the ideas. Keep them coming and thanks.

>The inserts above the mantle on
>the fireplace are exact replicas
>of cave paintings found in
>France depicting ancient hunters.

That is really cool. Very unique, I really like that. Do you have any close up photos of those?

>Here are some photos of mine.
>
>
>>
>
IMG_7616.jpg

sorry just noticed, are you tired of those bi-fold not closing with the pull knob?

if you'll move those knobs center of the raised panel, same elevation they are now, they will both open AND close without using 2 hands.

just a simple fix to a common problem.

My Man cave consists of most of the rear portion of the house -- a separate trophy room, a 15'x 34' ft. addition to the family room and part of the dinning area.

These are some older pix before I did some rearranging.

First, the addition:

familyroom1.jpg

familyroom2.jpg

new1.jpg

new2.jpg

new3.jpg

new4.jpg

new5.jpg

new6.jpg

Dinning area and new bear location:

zebrarug2opt.jpg

bear1opt.jpg

wallaby1opt.jpg

This is my old trophy room:

TrophyR2.jpg

TrophyR0.jpg

TrophyR6.jpg

TrophyR9.jpg

TrophyR7.jpg

TONY MANDILE
48e63dfa482a34a9.jpg

How To Hunt Coues Deer

Spen,

I think you're referring to the one with the chamois at the upper left and a tahr at the lower right. Both are from New Zealand. The red stag in the center of the upper wall and the wallaby on the table in the dinning area are also from NZ.

Everything else in that room other than the bear from BC is from Africa.

TONY MANDILE
48e63dfa482a34a9.jpg

How To Hunt Coues Deer

Tony,

Is that an Arapawa Ram on the coffee table? I would like to see a close up picture of those horns.

BT

LAST EDITED ON Nov-25-09 AT 10:33AM (MST)[p]Norby,

No, that's a Merino from Santa Cruz Island before they wiped them out there. I have a close-up but it's on my desktop, which is at HP for repairs.

Here's a pic of an Arapawa I killed in NZ, though. The horns are sitting in the alcove in my old trophy room. I need to make a base for them like the one I did for the Merino.

TonyMArapawa.jpg

TONY MANDILE
48e63dfa482a34a9.jpg

How To Hunt Coues Deer

That's a big bear. Great room The built in room looks like somthing you'd see at the zoo. Impressive mounts and home. South western theme?? Nice thanks.

>Tried to do a panoramic view.
>Not to good but you
>can see my room.

This is more in my league. The others are all GREAT but I'll never get on some of those exotic hunts. I like the ideas for lighting and hanging mounts. Colors are also what I'm considering. Thanks again to everyone who answered and keep it coming. Happy Thanksgiving.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-28-09 AT 09:16AM (MST)[p]Norby,

Here's a close-up of the Merino horns. I turned the wooden base on my lathe. The base of the horns is formed from plaster of Paris and then covered with tanned deer hide I had laying around. Pardon the dust in the crevices. :)

4b1148977da95e83.jpg

Chas,

Yes, most of the house is a southwestern style with lots of Mexican thrown. There's plenty of Talavera tile thoughout, including the backsplash in the kitchen area.

I have remodeled every room in the house except one of the four bedrooms, which I'll likely do over the winter.
These are a few pix of the kitchen.

A couple years ago, I razed the kitchen and separate formal dinning room down to the studs and rafters, combining both into what my wife now calls her 'kitchen to kill for.'

I made all the cabinets in my shop from 50-yr. old 3/4" pine paneling that was removed from a downtown historic landmark to build the home of the AZ D'backs, Bank One Ballpark -- now called Chase Field. All the lower cabinets have slide out shelves while the ones up top are adjustible for spacing.

The boards, which had one molded edge, were anywhere from 8" to 12" wide and 6' to 12' long. I bought a pile that was about 3' high and 6' wide at a nearby salvage yard for $300!

I also used it for all of the baseboard trim --further milled from the molded edges -- in the house, several window sills, two end tables (in m y old trophy room), cabinet doors in the hallway and the vanity and upper cabinets in the master bath. The base of the lifesize bear mount, which I built, is also made from the same wood.

The only outside labor for the kitchen was making the counter tops. I installed them, however. For the family room addition, I had someone else pour the concrete slab because it was too large for me to finish on my own.

The pot rack is copper plumbing pipe and heavy ground wire for the hooks.

152.jpg

205.jpg

213.jpg

217.jpg

25628.jpg

215.jpg

216.jpg

TONY MANDILE
48e63dfa482a34a9.jpg

How To Hunt Coues Deer

OutdoorWriter,
Nice woodworking skills! Built a few items in my shop as well I like it alot thanks.

Who gives a rip about the animal heads. Anyone who has a pole in their basement is my hero. Been offering to build the little woman a pole for years and she keeps rejecting the offer. If we had one, I'd keep a stack of crisp dollar bills right next to the beer cooler. Ya baby!!!

LAST EDITED ON Dec-06-09 AT 08:56AM (MST)[p]Chas,

Adding a bathroom and/or wet bar can be a chore if your house is built on a concrete slab. Getting water to either shouldn't be a problem as most times, the supply pipes are overhead and in the walls.

The major problem is running the drain to the sewer line because it's usually buried beneath the slab until it leaves the slab area on its way to the main line. That said, if you have a nearby bathroom/kitchen, it's possible to tap into the line that comes up into the wall. Also, if either is added on an outside wall near the line that's merely buried in the dirt of the yard, the connection becomes quite simple.

RE: woodworking

I have a 25'X 30' shop connected to my office with most of the necessary woodworking tools such as a 14" planer, 8" joiner, radial arm, miter & table saws, lathe, drill press, disk/belt and orbital sanders, 1/2" shaper plus a full complement of air and electric hand tools. My compressor is based in a separate attached storage room with the air piped into my workshop. So I don't have to listen to the compressor running.

Spen,

Here's what the tahr looked like in the field -- the Southern Alps of NZ.

4b1bd3fd1ba5593d.jpg

TONY MANDILE
48e63dfa482a34a9.jpg

How To Hunt Coues Deer

>
bar2.jpg

>
>
gameroom4.jpg

>
>
gameroom1.jpg

>
>
goat.jpg

Thanks for the post this was the type of design I was considering in my head with a few alterations.

Can anyone on here assist me with house plan ideas? I'll be building a new home this spring and I will have a "Man Cave"! Complete with large flat screen T.V., wet bar, pool table, and of course plenty of room for all my current and future critters.

I've been searching the web for house plans for over a year, and still haven't found the perfect one. The house will most likely be a walk out basement.

If you can offer any assistance, please send me a PM.

Thanks!

Sean

"Windage & Elevation Pilgrim, Windage & Elevation"

The worst mistake made is low ceilings. You should have at least 10' if you have anything more than whitetails. A reknown taxidermist once told me, "you never want to look down on a trophy".

These are great pictures guys. I plan on doing a room soon- great dream ideas thx.

To all,
When I started this post I just figured I'd get a few responses. Thanks for all the GREAT pics and advice. I have used a few and been thankful for all of them. If there are more (and I know there is), keep them coming because these rooms are awesome.

Ditto Chas,
Here are some shots from the Man Cave at my last home.

room15dg.jpg

black10mv.jpg

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d63/HunterHarry/gr.jpg

[IMG]http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d63/HunterHarry/bear3.jpg

[IMG]http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/2614/bobcat13ho.jpg

lynx55go.jpg

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d63/HunterHarry/wf.jpg

[IMG]http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d63/HunterHarry/home.jpg

[IMG]http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d63/HunterHarry/md.jpg

The old place had lots of room, but was kind of plain.
I want a more rustic look this time.

I have the contractor coming out this afternoon to start the building process on my new trophy room at my new place.
Will be approx 20'x30' want 9-10' walls a big pitched roof, a nice rock fireplace and good lighting.
New room will feature quite a number of new animals (Mostly the Kid's!)
Pics when finished.
HH

OK, looks like i am going to have to wait till the grand daughter gets home from kindergarden to help me out with posting pictures again, lol

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom