Making salami

eelgrass

Long Time Member
ForkWest asked about making salami in another thread, so rather than hijack that I'll post here, although there's not much specifically I can tell you.:)

Humboldt County is big ranching and dairy country (along with pot), and the recipe came from the early settlers who immigrated here from Sweden and Finland in the 1880's. The ingredients are secret. I have no idea what's in it, except I did see some empty red wine bottles in the back room once. Not positive wine is in the recipe though.:)

About 25-30 of us get together once a year in the winter to make it, and when we get there the meat is all mixed up and ground. We use the back room of the Ferndale Meat Co. They've been doing it forever, but this is about my 10th year. Someone has to drop out before someone else gets invited.

The price varies every year depending on meat prices, but we're only charged for actual costs. Nobody makes any money. It's all about friendship and tradition, although modern machinery is used now. It used to take two days.

We start stuffing and tying about 8 am and the "bar maid" starts serving Bloody Mary's about 8:30. Having at least one Bloody Mary is one of the requirements to join, I think.:)

We make three varieties. Start out making breakfast sausage, then switch to dry salami, large and small. We usually make about 2,000 lbs. and finish up around noon.

4784salami2016003.jpg

Getting ready to load the sausage stuffer. It works on water pressure to force the meat into the casings. They use natural casings from pigs, or maybe sheep.

1761salami2016002.jpg

This is Pam. She keeps telling us she likes the long thick salami.:)

4769salami2016001.jpg

Tying them up.

8168salami2016006.jpg

Hang them in a barn or garage. The more cool air you can get to them the better. It takes about 6 weeks. They get white mold on them most of the time but it depends on the weather. The longer it hangs the drier it gets. After about 6 weeks I take them down and put a few in bags, vacuum seal and freeze. It's better than any salami I've ever eaten.

Eel, you better get your gun and start guarding your garage. I am going to get hold of my Cuz and Kilo and we will make a night raid on your stash of salami. We just might invite Bess to play lookout and pay him off in salami if he brings the cheese. If you see us, do not engage as Bess will bring his 50 cal tune up rifle to cover our backsides.
Make sure some of that breakfast sausage is there, we want that also.

RELH

Eel and i have decided to buddy up and take turns guarding the outstanding looking treasure he has hanging in the shop. Generally, we like folks and it is our sincere hope that nobody gets hurt over here on his part of the State.

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

Sharing with a good friend really enhances friendship. Taking a little along on a hunting trip and doling it out to the right people keep you in really good stay.
Looks delicious!

Eel, my feuding family left many a bounty hunter hidden in the woods to never be seen again. There is even some dopers in this area that have spread rumors that I have done that also with some of their doper friends that seemed to have packed up and left the country.
With old Sage and you taking turns guarding the stash, I guess we better make new plans other then a raid. Might have to send a health inspector to your garage and have him confiscate the evidence showing a violation of health laws. Then we waylay him and take the evidence.

RELH

Eel, with all these guys threatening to take your salami, you had better find a good place to hide it.

The old, "hide the salami" bit, eh Fed? lol

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

Joey that was a darn good one. Still laughing. Have not heard that one for many years.

RELH

lol, Thanks. feddoc did all the work. i just pointed out the meaning, what i thought he was getting to all along.

Eel, once again, you amaze me. Seems like a heck of a group to be associated with, pride and lots of history there in them fine meats.

I really wish that i was helping to guard those beauties. Maybe if you threw in a few dungeness crab dinners a week i might not be able to resist! Ha!

Joey

It's been a week since I hung them in the garage. Starting to get some mold on them, right on schedule. The weather has been perfect so far.

75541week001.jpg

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom