Makes me want to SCREAM !

caelkhnter

Very Active Member
5082vernal-falls-big.jpg

Vernal Falls Yosimite. The National Park service has signs posted warning visitors to be careful and not stay on the path and not to go around the Guard Rail!

Well a few day ago, 3 visitors ignored these instructions, fell into the river and presumably died when they went over the falls. (the bodies have not yet been recovered.) see story:
5082vernal-falls-big.jpg

Now reports are coming out that the surviving relatives are demanding further investigations be pursued because the Park Service did not do enough to make the place safe! In fact it now appears these demands are getting traction.

I just want to scream. Yes I feel bad that people died and their family and friends losts loved ones. But come on, this was not the Park Service's fault. The people who died were in their 20s and could read. This tragic event was the result of these individuals not follwing the posted signs and going around a guard rail, that was put there for the very purpose of making sure people understood they should not get any closer to the dangerous river and falls.

The extent to which our society attempts to avoid any sense of personal responsibility makes me crazy!

5082vernal-falls-big.jpg

Vernal Falls Yosimite. The National Park service has signs posted warning visitors to be careful and not stay on the path and not to go around the Guard Rail!

Well a few day ago, 3 visitors ignored these instructions, fell into the river and presumably died when they went over the falls. (the bodies have not yet been recovered.) see story:
5082vernal-falls-big.jpg

Now reports are coming out that the surviving relatives are demanding further investigations be pursued because the Park Service did not do enough to make the place safe! In fact it now appears these demands are getting traction.

I just want to scream. Yes I feel bad that people died and their family and friends losts loved ones. But come on, this was not the Park Service's fault. The people who died were in their 20s and could read. This tragic event was the result of these individuals not follwing the posted signs and going around a guard rail, that was put there for the very purpose of making sure people understood they should not get any closer to the dangerous river and falls.

The extent to which our society attempts to avoid any sense of personal responsibility makes me crazy!

They will probably sue and win. I for one don't feel as sorry for the loved ones left behind ?IF? they are going to pursue anyone for any reason for their loss. Stupidity breeds stupidity!! Signs or no signs it was plain stupid to get that close to those falls. They did so at their own risk and after going by a posted sign to boot! If anything their parents ought to be ashamed of themselves for not teaching their kids a little better of the dangers in life, or at least be embarrassed about it.

Now on the other hand, if they do not pursue a lawsuit or the forest service for neglect then I would feel extremely horrible for them. But people who have to sue because of stupidity just pi$$ me off.

GBA

They will probably sue and win. I for one don't feel as sorry for the loved ones left behind ?IF? they are going to pursue anyone for any reason for their loss. Stupidity breeds stupidity!! Signs or no signs it was plain stupid to get that close to those falls. They did so at their own risk and after going by a posted sign to boot! If anything their parents ought to be ashamed of themselves for not teaching their kids a little better of the dangers in life, or at least be embarrassed about it.

Now on the other hand, if they do not pursue a lawsuit or the forest service for neglect then I would feel extremely horrible for them. But people who have to sue because of stupidity just pi$$ me off.

GBA

I feel bad for the families involved but.................
I can't believe that there even needs to be signs!!! We sure are turning into a Nanny Country.

I feel bad for the families involved but.................
I can't believe that there even needs to be signs!!! We sure are turning into a Nanny Country.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-28-11 AT 11:35AM (MST)[p]The sad part is that when they sue they get paid. The judge here in Utah paid that family $2 million in that lawsuit for the bear killing there son. As long as judges keep paying, idiots will keep suing.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-28-11 AT 11:35AM (MST)[p]The sad part is that when they sue they get paid. The judge here in Utah paid that family $2 million in that lawsuit for the bear killing there son. As long as judges keep paying, idiots will keep suing.

What more can the Park Service do other than closing the site to the public. That would be a shame if it came to that. If people choose to intentionally ignore posted warnings and physical barriers and still put themselves at risk, then the fault clearly lies with their irresponsible and reckless actions. Common sense dictates that even without the warnings, that nearing the falls could be dangerous and most of us would heed our better judgment. Society can set helpful guidelines to make our lives better and safer, but in the end, it is up to the individual whether those guidelines are observed and respected.

Eldorado

What more can the Park Service do other than closing the site to the public. That would be a shame if it came to that. If people choose to intentionally ignore posted warnings and physical barriers and still put themselves at risk, then the fault clearly lies with their irresponsible and reckless actions. Common sense dictates that even without the warnings, that nearing the falls could be dangerous and most of us would heed our better judgment. Society can set helpful guidelines to make our lives better and safer, but in the end, it is up to the individual whether those guidelines are observed and respected.

Eldorado

we will all suffer for these idiots ! but almost every action movie the stars go down the falls and swim to the bank.......you mean it's imposible in REAL life. oh my

we will all suffer for these idiots ! but almost every action movie the stars go down the falls and swim to the bank.......you mean it's imposible in REAL life. oh my

Gotta go !!!! Just promised my Wife she could hold one of those giant surfing kites on the edge of the Grand Canyon.

Gotta go !!!! Just promised my Wife she could hold one of those giant surfing kites on the edge of the Grand Canyon.

Since they haven't found any bodies yet.....maybe they made it ok. They're probably hiding out somewhere laughing their a$$ off.

Eel

Since they haven't found any bodies yet.....maybe they made it ok. They're probably hiding out somewhere laughing their a$$ off.

Eel

Its all about the $$$$$$$$
And stupid people always seam to have more of It

Its all about the $$$$$$$$
And stupid people always seam to have more of It

...This is not the first time someone has fallen in the area. Ten people have died in and around the waterfall over the past decade....

And yet they still want to challenge the forces of water and gravity.

I say at the view area, they put a billboard with the faces of those that lost their lives and have extra spaces labeled "for the next victims"

Or some video cameras to record from 3 different angles and then playback on a little kiosk screen the sight of people going over!
Charge people a quarter to watch it, and use that money to offse the costs of the lawsuits.

I mean if the family wants to profit off of their dead kins stupidity the park service should be able to make some money off their stupidity too.

48696fc97cd60c01.jpg

...This is not the first time someone has fallen in the area. Ten people have died in and around the waterfall over the past decade....

And yet they still want to challenge the forces of water and gravity.

I say at the view area, they put a billboard with the faces of those that lost their lives and have extra spaces labeled "for the next victims"

Or some video cameras to record from 3 different angles and then playback on a little kiosk screen the sight of people going over!
Charge people a quarter to watch it, and use that money to offse the costs of the lawsuits.

I mean if the family wants to profit off of their dead kins stupidity the park service should be able to make some money off their stupidity too.

48696fc97cd60c01.jpg

I say the Park Service should sue the families of the victims. Signs were posted, and railing put up. These idiots clearly violated the area they were supposed to stay in to be safe, and therefore you could argue they were trespassing.

I say the Park Service should sue the families of the victims. Signs were posted, and railing put up. These idiots clearly violated the area they were supposed to stay in to be safe, and therefore you could argue they were trespassing.

"The victims, all California residents, were identified as Hormiz David, 22, of Modesto; Ramina Badal, 21, of Manteca; and Ninos Yacoub, 27, of Turlock."

I suspect these folks were of Mexican/Polish decent. When is our government going to wake up and post warning signs that the average citizen can read?

Slick

"The Road goes on forever & the Party never Ends"

"The victims, all California residents, were identified as Hormiz David, 22, of Modesto; Ramina Badal, 21, of Manteca; and Ninos Yacoub, 27, of Turlock."

I suspect these folks were of Mexican/Polish decent. When is our government going to wake up and post warning signs that the average citizen can read?

Slick

"The Road goes on forever & the Party never Ends"

>I suspect these folks were of
>Mexican/Polish decent. When is our
>government going to wake up
>and post warning signs that
>the average citizen can read?
>
>
>Slick

Nah, They were Base Jumpers...

>I suspect these folks were of
>Mexican/Polish decent. When is our
>government going to wake up
>and post warning signs that
>the average citizen can read?
>
>
>Slick

Nah, They were Base Jumpers...

Oh, my bad.....I labeled them as "carpet pilots".....racist azz that I am.

".....but by God, I never said a word to a pig!"

Oh, my bad.....I labeled them as "carpet pilots".....racist azz that I am.

".....but by God, I never said a word to a pig!"

People will alway do stupid stuff, can't help it. It is human nature.
WVBOWAK

People will alway do stupid stuff, can't help it. It is human nature.
WVBOWAK

LAST EDITED ON Jul-28-11 AT 11:18PM (MST)[p]Darwin was right! No doubt any death is a tragedy but F! Come on you look for trouble or tempt fate your asking to meet with jesus before your hopefully projected time. Wait maybe it was a mass suicide?

Or maybe Kawboy was right and it was Sasquach? A Jacks Link commercial gone wrong?

LAST EDITED ON Jul-28-11 AT 11:18PM (MST)[p]Darwin was right! No doubt any death is a tragedy but F! Come on you look for trouble or tempt fate your asking to meet with jesus before your hopefully projected time. Wait maybe it was a mass suicide?

Or maybe Kawboy was right and it was Sasquach? A Jacks Link commercial gone wrong?

Better yet- put a basketball goal at the bottom. The only way the family can collect a dime is IF they go through it!

48696fc97cd60c01.jpg

Better yet- put a basketball goal at the bottom. The only way the family can collect a dime is IF they go through it!

48696fc97cd60c01.jpg

Everybody is so sue happy im sure theyll get a couple mil. Ya I feel bad for there family and friends but they failed to give a damn about what they were doin so it is there fault.

Everybody is so sue happy im sure theyll get a couple mil. Ya I feel bad for there family and friends but they failed to give a damn about what they were doin so it is there fault.

Tag, I like your thinking on post 14. I think that's a great idea, seriously. I bet it would make a lot of people at least think about the dangers involved and take heed to it. But then again, You just cant fix stupid!!

GBA

Tag, I like your thinking on post 14. I think that's a great idea, seriously. I bet it would make a lot of people at least think about the dangers involved and take heed to it. But then again, You just cant fix stupid!!

GBA

Fact is the families just see a way they might get some money out of it. Total liberalist way of thinking. Somebody owes them something. I hate the fact this country thinks everybody is entitled!

Tag, this is one of the few times I agree with your posts.

Mass suicide might not be far off. How does 3 people end up all going over? You would think that at least one would survive. And by survive I mean not fall in or jump in. Not to mention what are they suing for? Is it all speculation? Do they even know what happened? Where there any eye witnesses (I didn't read the article)? With no bodies found how can they claim they lost their lives?

Fact is the families just see a way they might get some money out of it. Total liberalist way of thinking. Somebody owes them something. I hate the fact this country thinks everybody is entitled!

Tag, this is one of the few times I agree with your posts.

Mass suicide might not be far off. How does 3 people end up all going over? You would think that at least one would survive. And by survive I mean not fall in or jump in. Not to mention what are they suing for? Is it all speculation? Do they even know what happened? Where there any eye witnesses (I didn't read the article)? With no bodies found how can they claim they lost their lives?

>>>>I can see one person falling, but three at the same time???????
What the hell??? <<<<

they went around the rail to take a picture, the lady slipped one guy tried to save her he slipped and the other guy tried to save them both and he slipped,,,,,, took them 5 or 6 seconds to go over,,,,,, dont know if any of you have ever been there or not but if you have its scary enough BEHIND the guard rail ,,,,, one of the same group held a little girl (who was apparently screaming the whole time) OVER the rail for a picture he needed to go over himself,,,,,,,,,,once in awhile being stupid kills you

>>>>I can see one person falling, but three at the same time???????
What the hell??? <<<<

they went around the rail to take a picture, the lady slipped one guy tried to save her he slipped and the other guy tried to save them both and he slipped,,,,,, took them 5 or 6 seconds to go over,,,,,, dont know if any of you have ever been there or not but if you have its scary enough BEHIND the guard rail ,,,,, one of the same group held a little girl (who was apparently screaming the whole time) OVER the rail for a picture he needed to go over himself,,,,,,,,,,once in awhile being stupid kills you

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom