Lost my duck hunting partner today.

CAelknuts

LAST EDITED ON Jun-28-10 AT 07:29PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Jun-28-10 AT 07:28?PM (MST)

Today was a rough day, as my 13 year old Black Lab, Cody, passed away this morning. She'd been failing physically for some time now, her vision was going with cataracts, her hearing was shot, and she didn't breath very well anymore, but her nose was still strong, her tail still wagged all the time and she always wanted her ears scratched every day.

When I went to select a new dog back then, she picked me out, as she came over and kept untying my shoes while I was looking at the other pups in her litter. After she wouldn't leave me alone, I figured that we were meant to be together, or at least that she thought so. Anyway, we had a lot of great years of duck hunting together and my son grew up with her in the blind about the time he got his first hunting license. They sort of drew up together from a duck hunting standpoint. We knew her time was short, as her health had been failing for a whille, and my son was home for this weekend for the first time in a long time, before having to fly back to LA for his job. When I called him this morning to tell him we'd lost our partner, his first words were how glad he was to be home last weekend and spend time with her one last time. I took her to the duck club this morning to lay her to rest on a little island that sticks up out of the pond where she'd retrieved more birds than from any of our other blinds. I guess it's my little way of getting to keep my labs close to me, as my lab that preceeded her, Zach, is also buried up there.

Her she is after one of her last hunts.
1006cody_and_mallards.jpg

You are fortunate to have had such a great companion. Its never easy to loose such a great friend. fatrooster.

Sorry to hear that. I just gave my dog a bite of my pizza, in your dog's honor. You may have seen this before...

"He is my other eyes that can see above
the clouds; my other ears that hear above
the winds. He is the part of me that can
reach out into the sea.

He has told me a thousand times over that
I am his reason for being: by the way he
rests against my leg; by the way he thumps
his tail at my smallest smile; by the way he
shows his hurt when I leave without taking him.
(I think it makes him sick with worry when he
is not along to care for me.)

When I am wrong, he is delighted to forgive.
When I am angry, he clowns to make me smile.
When I am happy, he is joy unbounded.
When I am a fool, he ignores it.
When I succeed, he brags.
Without him, I am only another man. With him,
I am all-powerful.
He is loyalty itself.
He has taught me the meaning of devotion.
With him, I know a secret comfort and a
private peace. He has brought me understanding
where before I was ignorant.
His head on my knee can heal my human hurts.
His presence by my side is protection against
my fears of dark and unknown things.
He has promised to wait for me...
henever...wherever--in case I need him.
And I expect I will--as I always have.

He is just my dog.

Sorry to hear about the loss of your beloved lab.

My chocolate lab just turned 14 and is experiencing many of the symptoms you mentioned so I think her days may unfortunately be short as well. My son, like your son, grew up hunting with her, and it will be hard when the time comes to lay her to rest...

Take care...

Horniac

I had the honor of meeting Cody last November when Dan so graciously invited me to hunt his place. Right away I knew Dan and Cody had a special friendship. They both knew what the other was doing and thinking at all times. It was wonderful to observe and be a part of. I understand the sorrow you must feel Dan.

Thanks Cody for retreiving my birds and allowing me to be a small part of a great partnership!

Eel

sorry to hear that, i cant imagine the day i will be in your shoes. my lab is 7, has had a very well used 7 yrs under him. he will never stop until he just cant go anymore. it'll be the death of him i'm sure. and that will be a bad day

i once heard a man ask: do dogs go to heaven?

ANSWER: it really wouldn't be heaven with out them , would it?

One of the things that binds EVERY guy on this site is this enevitable situation.

Regardless of all the things we argue about, the loss of a good dog is painful......to anybody with a pulse.

I have gone thru this 4 times in the last 40 years and have a 13 year old lab layong on my feet as I type.

My best advice.....get a new puppy right away. You could have him-her ready to go by October......that will probably start an arguement right there, with that group that says you can't hunt a dog for 2 years.

So sorry for your loss. I currently am having to find my hunting buddy a new home because i had to move for work and can't afford a place that i can have a dog and that kills me as well, mostly the not knowing what kind of life he will have.

that sucks Dan.

Sorry for ya man.

I lost my Great Prynessee after 13 + years and I still get emotional about her being gone.

I have thought about it-----------but still have not replaced her after 2 1/2 years now.

Be strong,

Robb

sorry you lost your friend!!
we can always get new puppy and as much fun as there are the pup will never make you forget that special friend!
I lost my choclate Axle 2yrs ago he was very specail even held points on ditch chickens and never lost a duck .....even in the chit (thick tules or catails)....but I have a 9yrs black lab "Bart" and hes my last when hes gone am done for a few sasons and I'll hunt with my partners female Chessi(just pick her up at 9 weeks) for a few season.. then we will see
jack
4a2c3c3419e430ad.jpg

rackmaster

I'm sorry for your loss. I almost lost my chocolate Lab about three weeks ago. Leaving him at the vet was sure tough but, picking him up was the best,the house just was'nt the same without him. Again sorry for your loss.

Very sorry to see your post about losing your duck hunting partner. They start off as a puppy / pet and before you know it they become a member of your family.
They add so much happiness and fun to our lives and want so little in return. It's very difficult and really hurts when we loose them, I know there is not a day that goes by that I don't miss mine.
That's really nice you took her to your duck club to bury her..
I'm sure that was her favorite place to be with you.

Hey Dan sad to here that, they sure do take a peice of your heart don't they.

I feel your you. I have been waiting for that day myself. My lab is only 11 but came down with canser a year ago. We had it removed but we were told she most likely wouldn't last too much longer. She been doing good but in the last week or so she just hasn't seemed herself.

Sorry Dan I feel for ya.

Sorry to here about your loss.i have a yellow lab and he is goin on ten,he doesn't move they way he use too but his just my riding around bud now,cowboy57.

CAelknuts, I'm very sorry to hear about your hunting buddy. I've been there and it's no fun. It sounds like you gave Cody a great life and I commend you for that. Too many people just cage the poor things up and don't spend the time they should.

I currently have a litter of chocolate lab pups for sale that are VERY well bred. If you're interested in one I will get one to you at just the cost to transport the little feller. Just knowing that he will go to a good home and won't just be tied to a tree somewhere is payment enough and I can tell from your post that you'll definitely take good care of him. Let me know if you're interested and we'll get the details worked out.

NvrEnuf

>CAelknuts, I'm very sorry to hear
>about your hunting buddy.
>I've been there and it's
>no fun. It sounds
>like you gave Cody a
>great life and I commend
>you for that. Too
>many people just cage the
>poor things up and don't
>spend the time they should.
>
>
>I currently have a litter of
>chocolate lab pups for sale
>that are VERY well bred.
> If you're interested in
>one I will get one
>to you at just the
>cost to transport the little
>feller. Just knowing that
>he will go to a
>good home and won't just
>be tied to a tree
>somewhere is payment enough and
>I can tell from your
>post that you'll definitely take
>good care of him.
>Let me know if you're
>interested and we'll get the
>details worked out.
>
>NvrEnuf

.................Now that my friends, is a HUGE slice of CLASS! You get a tip of my hat!

Sorry for your loss! I feel your pain, I put down a good one a few months ago myself. If you get looking for a pup let me know and I'll ask around.

Dan.....SOOOO sorry for you loss.

Myself, like Eelgrass had the FANTASTIC opportunity to hunt with Dan and Cody a few times over the last few years! Dan is a TRUE sportsman in every sense of the word..and Cody was a great dog and you could tell there was a mutual respect and love between dog and owner...RIP Cody...you will be missed. I will pay my respects FOR SURE on my next trip to the club (if I get invited again?)

The offer of a new dog by NvrEnuf is why I keep coming back to this site and enjoy MOST of the posts here!! Well done my friend....that is what being "blood brothers" as good ole Uncle Ted Nugent calls us is all about!!!!!

Dan I know how much you and Danny loved that dog!!! My respects to both of you!!!! Take care man!!

My condolences...Lost my buddy over 2 years ago and it still hurts me from time to time. You may have seen this before as well but they are great words. Now your two buddies are together.

IF IT SHOULD BE
If it should be that I grow frail and weak
And pain prevents my peaceful sleep
Then you must do what must be done
When this final battle can't be won.
You will be sad, I understand
Selfishness may stay your hand
But on this day, more than the rest
Your love and friendship will take the test.
We?ve had so many happy years
That what's to come can hold no fears
You?d not want me to suffer, so,
When the time comes, let me go.
Take me where my needs they'll tend
Only- stay with me til? the end.
Hold me firm and speak to me
Until my eyes no longer see.
I know in time you too will see
This is a kindness that you do for me.
Although my tail its last has waved
From pain and suffering I've been saved.
Do not grieve. It should be you
Who must decide this thing to do.
We?ve been so close, we two, these years,
Don?t let your heart hold any tears.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-30-10 AT 08:31AM (MST)[p]Dan,
Sorry to hear about your loss.. After meeting you I know the passion you have for hunting and I'm sure that your relationship with your dog shared that passion.
One of the hardest things I have ever had to do was to put my last yellow lab to sleep after he got sick. I just couldn't bear to sit and watch him suffer so I made the decision to put him to sleep peacefully.
I cried the full 20 miles as I drove to the vet.
It is tough to lose a great friend and companion like that!
My thoughts are with you!
Rick

Sorry to hear of the passing to the happy hunting grounds of your beloved Cody. While I never did hunt with Labs, while I was in high school almost 15 years ago I used to hunt raccoons with a Treeing Walker named Pete. He was what you would call a once in a lifetime animal, and I remember when he passed away. I was living in Texas while I was in the Air Force, and my Dad called me. Told me that Pete passed away while Dad was getting another cup of coffee. First words out of my mouth were, " I wonder if Uncle Jake and Missy were waiting at the entrance of the happy hunting grounds for him to get there?" Uncle Jake was my Dad's youngest brother who lost his battle with cancer a few years prior and Missy was a little Walker female that my uncle owned. Missy passed away a couple years prior to my Uncle Jake, from what we could tell a couple of stray dogs came into the yard and attacked Missy, for her food bowl or some other reason we don't know. She lost too much blood and basically died at her doghouse at the end of her chain. She had killed a couple of possums and a rat or two in her pen before that probably were coming for her food. I figured she had fought these dogs in the same manner and had lost. We raised a couple of litters of pups out of her and Pete, several of the pups turned out to be fine coonhounds. Get yourself another pup and while you may always compare this one to Cody, remember like humans dogs have their own personality, don't judge too harshly. Who knows this next puppy might become the new measuring stick you judge Labs by.
WVBOWAK

LAST EDITED ON Jun-30-10 AT 09:18AM (MST)[p]Sorry to hear the news. I have 2 labs, one is a year and a half the other is 8. My 8 year old is all but blind but gets around the house ok. I know her time is coming soon with other health issues.

Sounds like you had a lot of great times together. Quality time spent for sure.

Sorry to hear about your buddy and family member. Dogs can be very special. NvrEnuf that was a very nice gesture. Not very many people would make such an offer. It feels good to read/hear about acts of kindness like that these days.

JR

LAST EDITED ON Jul-02-10 AT 00:05AM (MST)[p]To all of you on here,

First of all, thank you for the very kind words and thoughts. I can't believe how rough this last few days has been, I don't remember it ever being like this in the past when I've lost other dogs. Nvrenuf, your kind and generous offer is beyond my ability to say "Thank you" well enough, and you'll be able to read my private response to you that I just sent. All I care to say here is that you, sir, are a class act, truly the kind of sportsman I like to know and consider a friend. To the rest of you, your words of support have been much appreciated, more than you can probably realize. Hunters really do have a better understanding of the relationships we build with our dogs, much more so than other people understand.

The last time I lost a hunting partner was about 10 years ago, when my then nearly 18 year old lab, Zach, died in the backyard one evening. At that time, Cody was 3, and I just kept right on with her. Zach had been failing for a few years, so I got Cody as a puppy right after she opened her eyes, and Zach ended up living much longer than we expected. During his last year of life, we were still taking him out to the duck blind, and I affectionately said he'd earned 'retreiver emeritus' status. Zach could barely see, was nearly deaf and couldn't walk more than a few hundred yards in his last year, but we never left him home when we went hunting. We'd walk out to the boat dock, always had to keep an eye on him to make sure he'd get there, and lift him down into the boat. Once at the blind, I'd lift him out of the boat and into the blind, where he'd go to sleep after about 10 minutes, leaving Cody to do all the dog's work. When we'd see birds and I'd start calling, Zach would wake up and pay attention, then watch as Cody would go out and retrieve the birds we downed. She'd come back, and actually let him take a bird from her mouth, then turn and give it to me, that was how he 'retrieved' birds his final couple years. After giving me a bird or two, he'd usually spend the rest of the morning sleeping until it was time to load him back up for the ride to the dock. It was great having the two of them, and when Zach died, it left a huge hole, but I had Cody at 3 years old and we kept right on going.

This time has been so much different, in ways I never imagined. You don't really appreciate all the little things you do with them until you can't any longer. Every morning, we had a routine. I'd get up and she's almost always be waiting at the door for her dog bisquit. After that, I'd open a cup of yogurt and share the last of it with her. If I was having a banana, strawberries or grapes, we'd share that every morning too. That dog absolutely loved things like yogurt, bananas, strawberries and grapes. After you do all those little things daily for years, it is surreal to do them differently after your dog is gone. I've probably looked in the backyard a hundred times since Monday, but I can't go back there just yet. I keep looking at her doghouse, and remember how she was laying in her familiar sleeping positon when I last found her.

Here's a photo of my two best hunting partners, my son Danny and Cody.
3509sanborn_slough__042.jpg

>My condolences...Lost my buddy over 2
>years ago and it still
>hurts me from time to
>time. You may have
>seen this before as well
>but they are great words.
> Now your two buddies
>are together.
>
>IF IT SHOULD BE
>If it should be that I
>grow frail and weak
>And pain prevents my peaceful sleep
>
>Then you must do what must
>be done
>When this final battle can't be
>won.
>You will be sad, I understand
>
>Selfishness may stay your hand
>But on this day, more than
>the rest
>Your love and friendship will take
>the test.
>We?ve had so many happy years
>
>That what's to come can hold
>no fears
>You?d not want me to suffer,
>so,
>When the time comes, let me
>go.
>Take me where my needs they'll
>tend
>Only- stay with me til? the
>end.
>Hold me firm and speak to
>me
>Until my eyes no longer see.
>
>I know in time you too
>will see
>This is a kindness that you
>do for me.
>Although my tail its last has
>waved
>From pain and suffering I've been
>saved.
>Do not grieve. It should be
>you
>Who must decide this thing to
>do.
>We?ve been so close, we two,
>these years,
>Don?t let your heart hold any
>tears.

Mike, I have seen that poem before, and it is so right with it's message. I guess I'm glad that it never came to that point for me, as both of my dogs were still relatively healthy, even if suffering the inevitable infirmities of age, when they passed. What was so stunning about Monday was that she seemed fine on Sunday evening, ate all her food and wanted more, kept pestering me to pet her more when I let her into the living room to be with me while I watched a ballgame. I've read that poem before, and while it is so true I've dreaded that type of moment with every dog I've ever owned. I guess I'm fortunate that they spared me the pain that putting them down would have caused me.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom