Lopes in Idaho vs crappy hunter!!

I

idaho_grizz

As some of you know, the kid and me drew some tags in idaho this year. The first hunt was for lopes, what is happening in unit 40? seen a total of 5 lopes in 3 days. Talked to a warden late opening day and the one we got was the second one he had checked that day. Maybe I am just becoming a crapping hunter in my old years, but I do know where to hunt lopes. Talked to lots of ranchers and every one said to go to where we had just came from, one said the wolves had moved. Come on, seen lots of yotes, killed two , but wolves. Sounds like a story to me . Something is happen out there, west nile, yotes or just poor management. I know that the birds have been taking a hit because of weather and west nile. Will west niles kill lopes. Hoping to hear from some of you telling me I was just in the wrong spots. Is there a problem or am I just a crappy hunter? Did see one nice deer buck that got us going a little

Probably seen over 200 antelope during the archery season in 40, and killed a small buck with my bow. Also saw some toads that would have gone down with a rifle tag. I also know 4 other archers that killed within a couple of days on 40. There were antelope all over the place.

Adam
Ridgeline Outdoors Hunt Staff.

Actually not seeing very many pronghorn IMHO does not make you a crappy hunter. I have drawn the 42 rifle tag twice. In preseason scouting in July and August I saw a lot of pronghorn. Come September 98% of them seemed to disappear. Both times I drew the tag it was like that. Last year I did the archery hunt. On opening day they were all over, by the next weekend I saw half as many. From talking to Fish and Game they say the archery and sage chicken hunters scatter them. They are there somewhere they just don't stand their waiting for you to shoot them from the side of the road like they do in Wyoming. Look for areas on your maps where you can get off the road a little bit and glass and I bet you will find them. Good luck with all of your tags...apparently luck is on your side and hopefully you fill those tags!

Fowladdict
Thanks, thats what I was looking for. We are close to the Oregon line so I am sure that a lot cross the line. We have been getting off the road as far as you can in the area we are hunting. Might change area. I am glad to hear that they are out there. Would hate to be a crappy hunter after all these year. LOL

I've bowhunted alot of the area your talking about and the numbers on the idaho side down there have dropped dramatically, the goat numbers are down a bit but the biggest problem ..close to the line is their in oregon and staying there. several large ranches have been bought further west towards Rome that are not letting any hunting go on and alot of goats have stayed over there instead of coming back in the spring. The rut is alos going and they are really on the move I had a tag this year in another unit and alot of the goats we were watching disappeared while others showed up....the goat I took traveled....chased by hunters 8.7 miles one way!! He did come back to the area about 5 hours later and a few hours after that I smacked him. I watched him the day before it opened and he never hardly moved the whole day but an hour before dark he and a doe took off and i found them right at dark 2.5 miles away...crazy.. There out there they will herd up and be easier to find in a couple of weeks when we get a little weather coming in... pic of the goat I took is in the antelope bighorn section

That is a great goat, got a score on him yet. Glad there are some goats like that down there. I am really mad at myself this year for not spending more time on the goats. Been trying to get the deer found out there and being new to the area, didn't understand the movement that take place. Am animal like that makes a great year to remenber! Good luck with the rest of the year Grizz

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom