Lope hunting help.

W

wyoarcher

Drew a lope tag for the first time and this really is the first time i have delt with them other than passing on the hwy and saying "there is an antelope"! Will be archery hunting on water out of a blind, and am wondering if there is any time better than another to sit the water. Figured as it gets warmer in the mid-late afternoon that, that might be a good time? Also I am trying to learn how to judge a nice buck from an average buck. Any pointers? All info will be greatly appretiated!

Your comments brought up some questions in my mind. You said you're hunting archery. Is your tag archery only, or is it a general tag, where you can hunt later with a rifle if necessary? You also said you plan on sitting water. Are you hunting private ground, or have a spot located on public ground? I know people who are already placing parts of blinds to claim water holes. It's becoming very competitive. Some people come in and set up their blinds right next, and I mean "next" to someone else's blind. If you do have a spot, be in your blind before daylight and sit at least till mid day. If antelope are in the area, stay as long as you can stand it. Be aware of the prevailing breeze in the area and try to keep the sun from shining into the blind. Try to find "the buck" you are after, and keep track of it as much as you can, all summer. It is much more fun to hunt "an antelope" than it is to hunt antelope. Picking one out before season, helps eliminate the worry that your brains are going to fall out when the moment of truth hits. You don't have to worry about "is he big enough" if you've already decided on him. Good Luck and start studying your area from a distance. The antelope will tell you when to be in your blind.

bucklover, thanks a ton for the info. very helpful. My area is nearly all blm, and a large area as well. I do have a general tag, so will have the change to go rifle if archery doesn't work out. I have started scouting area to find water, and have seen lots of antelope. trying to find something off the beaten path right now to try and avoid any "neighbors" at the hunt. i will try your suggestion of finding and hunting "the one" buck and see how it goes! Thanks again for your help!

Some basic tips for archery hunting from a blind. Set them up well before the season so the antelope have a chance to acclimate. If you allow time to acclimate you don't need to dig a pit unless you want a bunch of extra exercise and a cooler place to sit. Look for a small waterhole that doesn't have many other water sources for a 2 mile radius and has lots of antelope sign. If you are trophy hunting you may want to find a buck that meets your standard first and then figure out where he waters.

If you have the freedom of hunting dates pick dates where the forecast is for multiple hot, dry days in a row to sit in your blind rather than cool and wet days. Antelope often drink out of potholes and puddles after rainstorms and may not water at their "usual" waterholes. If a particular buck doesn't water 1 day he'll likely be there the next day or 2 unless you or other hunters have spooked him, there are other water sources close, you didn't allow time for the buck to acclimate, it rains...etc.

There are 8 total mass measurements in a pronghorn score....mass makes up the largest chunk of the total score. Decent prongs and length add to the score but mass is what you want if you are looking for a fairly high scoring buck. A super massive buck will have 7" or heavier bases and a small to mediocre buck will have 6" bases. Some horns are round and others spayed-oval shaped at the bases so it helps to view horns from different angles. I would invest in the best optics you can afford to help judge. Also, take as many photos and videos of bucks as possible. Take these home, study them, and figure out each bucks scores. You will likely see things on film you didn't see while in the field.

Thanks jims! The blind I will be using is a double bull blind. If i find a water source that is well out off the roads I would feel comfortable leaving it. Not sure I trust folks now days!:) would you leave it? I do agree that would be a good idea to let the antelope get used to it being there. I will be out there scouting again tomorrow afternoon possibly and will be trying to find a nice buck. Your insite is helpful on scoring. I talked to another guy and asked him how to tell a trophy vs average. He tells me "if it looks like it has towers on its head, then it is big"! :) So the mass info will be a huge help. I did see one the last time out that looked very thick from the side, but really didn't get a good front view. Will look for him again and try to get more angles.

I will get some pics and post them up and you guys can see whats out there!

Thanks again jims!

LAST EDITED ON Jul-03-11 AT 08:54AM (MST)[p]I would have a tough time leaving a double bull on public land for several weeks! The wind may shred it plus who knows if it may disappear! One thing you may want to consider is pounding some t posts and putting up a "mock" blind with a tarp or some sort of material. This way you can "reserve" your blind on a waterhole plus acclimate the antelope. You can replace the tarp with your double bull when hunting. I'm looking forward to seeing some photos!

When field judging look for mass, mass and more mass. Don't get caught up with the length of the horn. That is only one measurement, whereas mass has four. "Size is Everything" is a great field judging DVD, or do a google search on how to field judge and you will most likely come up with something.
Maybe even check the archives. I posted something under "off season fun" a couple of months ago with some video of an antelope, and had a lot of other people post pics as well under the post of various size bucks.

"Half of being smart, is knowing what you're dumb about."

As far as blinds go here in idaho the earliest we can set blinds up is 10 days before the opener and this leaves more than enough time for them to grow accustomed to especially since they'll probably be watching it from a distance all day every day. Parking trucks normally don't bug um if its atleast 300 yards away. All antelope our whole family have ever shot was between dawn and 11am. 0 activity from 11am-4pm and some activity from 4pm to dusk. Try to be in your blind a couple minutes before first light. 2 KEYS!!!: 1 BRING YOIR LIGHT WEIGHT SAGE CAMO WITH YOU IN THE BLIND INCASE OF A LAST MINUTE EFFORT STOCK/ WEAR *BLACK* WHILE YOUR IN THE BLIND SINCE YOUR BACK GROUND INSIDE IS BLACK, IT DOES MAKE A DIFFERENCE, COUNTLESS TIMES DOE HAVE COME RIGHT UP AND HAVE PIERED INSIDE CAUSE I MOVED OR MADE A SOUND. 2 *12"X12" WHITE FLAG IN YOUR BLIND, IF THEY ARE BEING STUBBORN and Leary one day but you can see them WAVE THE WHITE FLAG OUT THE WINDOW A LITTLE BIT ALSO LIKE DONE IN COYOTE HUNTING, once you've caught the lead does attention prepare for a close range short at your Buck, they think the white flag is another antelopes butt, on the same ironic note no decoys have ever worked for us so recommend sticking to your light weight pocket size white flag. As far as judging it kind of like deer hunting, try to find width with the largest width Wider than the ears, thick mass close to fist size, curls that make a 180 degree curl turn and diggers that are deep. Usually a smaller Buck in the herd to judge off of, also find some pics of some scores or unique trates you like on the website and print them out and make a couple flash cards to bring with you as aid. GOOD LUCK!!! FEEL FREE TO PM ME FOR MORE INFO OR IF YOUVE GOT QUESTIONS

Hey thanks huntfish! Great info. And thanks again to everyone else that has helped! I have been out a couple times and there is lots of water! There are several cattle watering tanks scattered around, as well as good sized water holes. So hopefully some dry up in the next month. The area has lots of ridges, hills, valleys, draws, ect, so a stalk hunt is quite practical. Haven't seen any bucks yet that have mad me excited, but have lots more country to cover. I have heard of wearing black in the blind, but never thought of taking my sage camo with! Great idea. I am getting excited already just going out! Have taken the whole family out with once and they had a good time. Thanks again for the help! Much appreciated!

Great to hear and anytime hope it pays off. GOOD LUCK!!! and send me a pm if you remember after you tag one I like reading stories in my inbox : )

Some excellant advice for you so far. I'll just repeat, MASS, MASS & MASS. It really makes a bucks score and use your time before the hunt. I always like to arrive a few days before the hunt and know as said before the top few bucks in the area that you want to hunt and try to get it done on opening day before everything is stired up and ran out of the area!!!

Best of luck and enjoy. Look forward to photos.

From experience I can say listen to what JIMS has to say. He is a good hunter and knows his stuff.

There is lots of good advise above, but as in all opinions, one needs to take some, of what has been said, with a grain of salt.

I spend a great amount of time in blinds, with my cameras, taking photographs and have also hunted with my bow for over 40 years and I can say the statement made that 0 activity between 11am and 4 pm is not good or valid information. It would be better to say, and much more accurate, that antelope sightings fall off after 11am and pick back up later in the afternoon.

There is a period of lull in that window, but by no means does it shut down totally. Through the years I have seen some very nice bucks water during that time frame, and have even shot a few with my bow during that period of time.

One thing I would like to remind all bowhunters is to respect the land and the waterhole. If you dig a pit blind, be sure to backfill it when you are done. I hope all hunters will avoid cutting or pulling any live vegetation in which to hide their blind. It is much better to do it early like JIMS says and leave the area undamaged.

And then all of us need to pick up the area we hunted and leave it better for our being there. If we do that we will always be welcome back. But if we dig holes, cut live vegetation, leave old pieces of plywood, pallets, carpets etc. lying around, we will soon loose our right to place a blind at all.

And always remember, there is a better waterhole out there some place, that has never been found, so put in the work and your efforts will pay big dividends.

Here are a few photos I took just last week.

88.jpg

106.jpg

101.jpg

107.jpg

108.jpg

89-1.jpg

94-1.jpg

Have a great bowhunt. BB

Thanks buglinbilly! I have learned quite a bit already just from the few posts here and other pics that have been posted. That buck looks like a good buck in your fourth picture! Thanks for the info!

And your pictures are great! I enjoy going through the photograghy forum and looking at yours and a few others pics! Keep them coming!!

BB,your pics are nothing short of fantastic!What type of camera and other equipment do you use(if you don't mind my asking)?wyoarcher-You are receiving some excellent advice!

Mostly great advice above. I don't agree with nothing showing up during the 11-4 advice. If you are going to make a commitment to hunt an antelope out of a blind on a waterhole, be prepared for 3-5 days of sitting the whole day. I see antelope regularly during the more non-productive 11-4 hours, and have taken antelope then.
As to some of the comments about "reserving" a waterhole by staking your blind (and your claim) to the waterhole, I urge people to be considerate and use good hunting ettiquette/ethics/honor regarding a public land waterhole. I know of many units in Wyoming that have very few permanent waterholes on public land and I can guarantee that no single individual owns that waterhole. If you think you need to stake a claim to a waterhole as your own personal property, go buy private ground with a waterhole in which you actually "own" the waterhole.
If someone beat you to the waterhole on a particular day, don't ruin their hunt by trying to jointly claim the waterhole.
If this happens, try spot and stalk with a bow...infinitely satisfying when it all comes together.

Sorry I didn't clarify, in my experience of my antelope area is the 11a-4p dead time true and didn't mean to employ that all antelope are like that, also it benifits me due to the blind only being 10 short miles from the house and allows me to still do household stuff during the season. I will agree with respecting the land, for many years here in idaho hunters have abused the lands with blinds and therefore now we have very strict guidelines on blm ground. Such as no perminent structures no digging no modifying vegetation ect, pretty much limited to a popup blind within 10days of the hunt only. Good luck. Pics didn't show up but will check later they sound awesome!!!

I shoot with several different cameras. For years I used a point and shoot, mostly Olympus or Panasonics. About the last 3 or 4 years I have been using a DSLR some of the time and they too are Olympus cameras (E-3 and the E-5) All the photos posted above were shot with my E-5, and its the first time I ever used a tripod. It helps a lot, but boy did I miss a lot of good opportunties. There is a big learning curve on a tripod out of a blind. But I learned a lot and some of the photos I got were as good as any I have ever shot of antelope.

And those photos were shot with my new (expensive lens. I still have a lot to learn about getting the focus correct, but when I do it sure takes a good photo.

Boy is Wyoming ever green this year and the there is water every where. I sure hope it dries out a bit.

I plan to be back up there next week for a day or more and hopefully get some more photos. I sure do enjoy it. I wish I would have started this when I was young and had my good eyes!

Have a good one. BB

109a.jpg

96-1.jpg

97-1.jpg

118.jpg

98.jpg

nontypical, being nearly green as they get to antelope hunting, I have learned quite a bit already from above posts! Great guys and great help!

There is another thread in general talking about the "claiming" of water holes and such, and it really ticks me off to think that people would think that they have that special right over the rest of us that paid the same amount for the tag! I took the above info from jims about presetting up to be strictly for getting the animals comfortable to the "new addition". :) I think I should have no problem getting a water hole of my own opening day. There has been lots of water in the area i have, and am actually thinking more about spot and stalk, unless it dries up considerably! Either way I am excited to go after my first lope!

Thanks again guys!

Yes it is digital. And there's lots of country throughout Wyoming that has a very similar look. The wind blows so hard in Wyoming it blow off the tops of many of its hills and mountains. Ha Ha.

38-3.jpg

33-4.jpg

Have a good one. BB

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom