Lope around Sheridan

3DXRING

Hey Guys
A friend and myself will be comeing out Elk & Mule deer hunting the first of archery season. We will have a couple of extra days before season starts and i see there's a walkin area north of Sheridan. Unit 15 i think. There's a bunch of doe tags left in that area and i was wondering if anybody has any info on it. Thought we might chase a lope for a couple of days before we chase Elk. Thanks L. Triplett
Old Farts Hunting Club
We're slow but we eat good!

LAST EDITED ON Jul-22-11 AT 08:27AM (MST)[p]I only see one property in the WIHA and it's 1865 acrs. You may want to take a look at unit 109, which starts just a few miles north of Lake DeSmet and runs north to Montana and west over to the NF. It has several tracts covering over 6,000 acres that are enrolled in the program and there is also quite a bit of state land in several chunks that have public road access. Units 109 and 15 both have a lot of buck and doe tags left over.

TOPGUN
Thanks for the reply. Have you ever huntied these areas?
I finally drew my unit 38 archery elk tag and won't have
but a couple of days before i go after elk and muleys.
I have been hunting area y for several years now but i
have not spent to much time down off the mountain. Got
any ideal where i could get a little info on 15 or 109?
Thanks
Triplett

I really haven't been into 109, but tried unit 15 years ago and there just wasn't enough public land to make it worthwhile. I'm just going off my CD ROM map & the F&G WIHA maps as far as what I mentioned, but you shouldn't have any trouble filling a tag or two on a goat hunt almost anywhere out there nowadays because they are basically at an all time high. I have a buddy in Sheridan that I hunt with every year, but he just moved there from Gillette last November. I'll drop him an email and see if he's been in 109 and if he can help any I'll get back to you. In the meantime, I'd call the F&G Office in Sheridan and try to talk to the GW & Biologist that work that area.

A little farther to drive but unit 20 has some land you can hunt and find a doe no problem. South end is worth a look.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom