Looks like might have a heckofa pinion nut harvest fall of 2025.

Dumdum

We had heavy wet winter snows this year and now the pinion trees are bursting with male/female buds and we get covered in yellow pollen when disturbing branches. My past experience has led me to expect a good pinion nut harvest in fall of 2025 (not 2024). The last time we got a big harvest was around 2018.

My question here is how does this effect elk, deer, turkey hunting?

We had heavy wet winter snows this year and now the pinion trees are bursting with male/female buds and we get covered in yellow pollen when disturbing branches. My past experience has led me to expect a good pinion nut harvest in fall of 2025 (not 2024). The last time we got a big harvest was around 2018.

My question here is how does this affect elk, deer, turkey hunting?
Personally, it ruins it. I stop everything and gather piñón nuts.

So you're saying the wet weather doesn't necessarily help this fall, but the following one?

And regarding how does it affect hunting (good one 2lumpy), my experience is where you find a bunch of pinons would be a good area to look for bears.

So you're saying the wet weather doesn't necessarily help this fall, but the following one?

And regarding how does it affect hunting (good one 2lumpy), my experience is where you find a bunch of pinons would be a good area to look for bears.
The piñon trees form green “pine cones” the first year, which then mature and dry out opening the cone's petals gradually to drop the nuts in the second year.
Yeah people go crazy when the nuts are dropping. No Trespassing signs are ignored and in our neighborhood we’ve had multiple instances of people cutting barb wire fences to get access! The last big harvest they were selling pinion nuts for $40/lb !

Dang, I've never gathered nuts except to occasionally eat some as I'm hunting. Didn't realize it was a full-contact sport, including poaching/trespassing.
But I have a particular spot in mind I'll keep an eye on for bear sign next fall!

The piñon trees form green “pine cones” the first year, which then mature and dry out opening the cone's petals gradually to drop the nuts in the second year.

Yeah people go crazy when the nuts are dropping. No Trespassing signs are ignored and in our neighborhood we’ve had multiple instances of people cutting barb wire fences to get access! The last big harvest they were selling pinion nuts for $40/lb !
I gather strictly on public land…..🙂↔️🙂↔️. That’s no joke…. Really. No joke.

When I was a kid we would stop hunting midday and pick them. Usually a long drive home after that because we used our shirts to hold them all. That and having sap all over you. 🤣🤣

Oh! I’ve never considered the bears! We’ve got bears here and now that I think about it the sight of me crawling around on all fours pawing the ground for nuts might appear pretty appetizing to a bear … kinda like a feral pig but with more fat.

I didn’t know you could trespass for em. They got any of them nuts up in Utah or Idaho? #pinonfreak #gamechanger #onebadnutcop

When I was a kid we would stop hunting midday and pick them. Usually a long drive home after that because we used our shirts to hold them all. That and having sap all over you. 🤣🤣
Yeah the pinion tree sap makes a mess. I don’t wear long sleeve shirts or good hats when working with piñon firewood or collecting nuts. I’d rather scrub my arms and hands (and scalp) raw then ruin even my work shirts. I will wear an old ratty work coat if cold, it’s already messed up.

I didn’t know you could trespass for em. They got any of them nuts up in Utah or Idaho? #pinonfreak #gamechanger #onebadnutcop
People shouldn’t trespass if signs are posted. A number of them do anyway.

Pretty sure piñóns are in Utah, dunno about Idaho. They’re definitely in Colorado. They don’t seem to grow above 7200 ft altitude.

The piñon nuts in my part of Utah are smaller than a dry pea……. Usually just an empty shell.

Dumdum……. May I have permission to ruin my deer hunt, this fall, on your property? Asking for myself and 8 or 10 very nice other people.

Yikes!

(Robot voice): You have exposed my ruse. I am an AI bot purposed to entertain hunters to distract them from the fact globalists are taking over the world. Do not adjust your horizontal. Do not adjust your vertical. Look into my pen while I flash a light to wipe your memory.

Yikes!

(Robot voice): You have exposed my ruse. I am an AI bot purposed to entertain hunters to distract them from the fact globalists are taking over the world. Do not adjust your horizontal. Do not adjust your vertical. Look into my pen while I flash a light to wipe your memory.
Before you flash, does that mean yes, apparently I’ll need it in writing.

It’s a freaking circus at our place when the piñon comes! People give absolutely no 🖕🏿’s about private property! We have to patrol on horse back and the highway! Clean up everything from diapers to beer bottles! Found one group 2 miles off the highway!
They twist the barb wire and leave so the calves get out it’s just a disaster! The people who ask permission are always granted it from us because there’s plenty to go around, the nuts aren’t the issue it’s the filthy pigs .

It’s a freaking circus at our place when the piñon comes! People give absolutely no 🖕🏿’s about private property! We have to patrol on horse back and the highway! Clean up everything from diapers to beer bottles! Found one group 2 miles off the highway!
They twist the barb wire and leave so the calves get out it’s just a disaster! The people who ask permission are always granted it from us because there’s plenty to go around, the nuts aren’t the issue it’s the filthy pigs .
Then everyone wonders why LO’s can be assholes. Reality is most are good people as long as you respect their land.

Your place is a lot bigger than ours!

Your description of piñon mania sums it up nicely!

Twice I’ve found fresh human poop with stained tissues back in the trees, they didn’t even try to bury it!

I’ve found broken branches cause they shake them hard to cause more nuts to fall.

One problem with letting some groups collect nuts is other people driving by see the people and cars and join in thinking it’s a free for all.

We just lock our highway gate. Stops most of them.

Then everyone wonders why LO’s can be assholes. Reality is most are good people as long as you respect their land.
Yessir! All we ask is if you want to pick piñon pull in and ask permission!
One group pulled into the yard and started picking and when confronted they decided to act like 🍆🍆a so I took their 5 gallon bucket of nuts !
How do you literally park in someone’s driveway and proceed to pick while the property owners are on the porch watching and don’t even have the decency to come come talk? 🖕🏿’n people!!!

Last edited:
Your place is a lot bigger than ours!

Your description of piñon mania sums it up nicely!

Twice I’ve found fresh human poop with stained tissues back in the trees, they didn’t even try to bury it!

I’ve found broken branches cause they shake them hard to cause more nuts to fall.

One problem with letting some groups collect nuts is other people driving by see the people and cars and join in thinking it’s a free for all.

We just lock our highway gate. Stops most of them.
We don’t have a gate off the highway only to headquarters. Reason being if someone has the respect to ask permission well more than likely gladly give it. Even to hunt.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom