Looks like it could be a bad one

B

Burnsscout

Anybody else a little worried about how this winter is starting? I hate to say it but if the weather don't let up, the deer #'s are gonna get alot worse.

I agree, it's been a while since we've seen this much snow in November and the long term forecast looks bad. to make it worse hay is in short supply and expensive if feeding were to become an issue. on that note I have lots to say about ODFW's ignorant nonsense cop out on feeding but that's a whole other can of snakes.

If we have another winter like 92/93 look out, we won't be hunting deer in some units for years. well, knowing ODFW we might be hunting you just won't see anything.

Just because we have snow now doesn't mean we'll have snow later. Kinda like calling a bad fire season in April. Is the snow in EO crusting over?

No it doesn't mean you throw in the towel, but it means the sooner winter sets in the longer the animals stress. this is not a good start, that's all we're saying.

The snow level is about 3200 feet here in Crook county this morning. up high there is about 16" most places, I recall many years we didn't have 16" to ride in all winter. the snow isn't crusted yet but as wet as it is iy's probably going to become an ice pack in a week or so.

I'm as worried about the chuckar if this holds as anything else right now. they better be ready and have the nuts to close season if it comes to that.

maybe they should outlaw "riding" in the snow so we dont stress the deer anymore than they already are?

:) :)

Responsible sleders really don't do the game any harm. but I've seen some crap that made me want to shoot some people.

It's not often that sledders ride on deer winter ground. Not enough snow normally. There are some coyote and cat hunters that use the low country. The ones that are the hardest on the animals are shed hunters in the spring when the deer are in there worst condition, and some areas in the country get hammered with traffic. Quads with tracks can now get just about anywhere in spring conditions.
Not really a problem in SE Oregon as we don't have anymore animals to shed.

Back
Top Bottom