Lookout Mt, Whitehorse,Keating, Owyhee?

P

pronghorn2

My wife and I are planning to apply in one of these units for this fall. We have no idea what the area are like as far as how rough they are to hunt ? We are in good shape but not able to backpack in several miles to camp either. So I am just wondering what to expect in any of these units? Any info would be great!
Thank You
Darryl

Deer with rifle, I guess being a flatlander how bad are the mountains in these areas?
Darryl

LAST EDITED ON Apr-24-10 AT 08:09AM (MST)[p]Whitehore unit, Owyhee unit Big Country. A very slim chance of seeing a 180 class buck. No mountains to speak off, but a big canyon to the owyhee river. Looks like great deer country but very few deer. Mahogany mtn in the Owyhees has very limited access.

Lookout mtn. Big hills (at least to me). Has a lot more deer than the whitehorse. bucks will go into the 170's

Are you able to hunt these units by hiking in from roads for the day? Can a person camp in these units? Thanks for the info so far!

Yes, you can absolutely hunt from the road, hiking a couple of miles. Camping is not a problem. lots of country in these units to glass. Not a hard hunt, enough road access to get you close. Lots of remote stuff, but when you get into the remote there aren't any other hunters and deer seem to disappear as well. What a bummer to get to some of those places and feel good that no one is there but you, and the game vanishes. It's not always the case. They call it hunting for a reason.

Good luck

htnfool
Thanks for your help, We started getting points several years ago and now when they raised the price so high just to apply, I think its time to go!

Back
Top Bottom