Looking to buy high end spotting scope

C

ClorideRUS

I'm looking to buy a high end spotting scope but don't have much experience with them. Angled vs straight, Swarovski vs Leica, best lens size etc. I'll want to use them with video - camera equipment but mostly dragging it around the hills hunting. I have a pair of Swarovski EL's & just love them.

Any input would be appreciated.

RUS

cloriderus, in my opinion the angled scope is sure good on the neck although it takes a little getting used too when it comes to putting your scope on something you found with your binos. But I feel that it is well worth the extra trouble and once you get used to it you get pretty good at finding anything. Less fatigue on the neck means more time looking through the spotter.
Also, you cannot go wrong with Leica or Swarovski when it comes to quality and it all depends on personal preference. When it comes to warranty Swarovski has a better reputation by far than Leica which prompted me to go with Swarovski.
If you are going to take video through your spotter then I suggest getting the Swarovski HD or the Leica APO which is the high quality spotters. I personally do not like filming through the spotter because of all of the extra headache involved with set up of the camera on the spotter. You must have a heavy duty tripod head that can handle the extra weight of the camera without moving when you let go of the head after you adjust the view finder. Also I have found that you cannot adjust your zoom when the camera to spotter adapter is being used and when you do get your zoom adjusted I also found that the video camera does not work well when using higher power like over 40x. Recently I bought a tripler for my video camera and I am much happier with the results. I hope I have given you some good info. Goodluck, fatrooster.

Zeiss makes a 40power video camera lens that takes the place of the regular lens looks very nice and it is pretty compact, but a little pricy.Don't overlook the new Kowa 88 Kowa makes as good or better scopes than yhe so called big 3, read the bird guys ratings on the new Kowas says there is no comparison between all of these. I have several of the old Kowas and they are very nice scopes.

BIGOLMULEY, a friend of mine was using a Sony VCL-ST30 which I found on ebay at several places one being Crutchfield.com.
The cheapest place I found it was at Newworldvideodirect.com but when I tried to order it the sales man called me several days later and told me that the Sony unit was very hard to get and suggested another brand which is Sakar and is in the same price range. He felt that the quality was better and the availability of the product was much better. So I got the Sakar which cost me $280.00 and it seems to work great. I really haven't taken a lot of footage with it so I cannot give a great review but it sure is a lot easier to deal with than putting the camcorder on the spotting scope. Goodluck, fatrooster.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom