Looking to buy a new rifle - which one?

elkhunterUT

Long Time Member
I am looking to get a new .270WSM and have around $600 - $700 in the budget to work with. What are the best rifles in your opinion to consider in this range?

Thanks,

Cory

A lot of guys really like the Tikka T3. It very lightweight and has a reputation for being very accurate also.And it is in your price range too.

I don't own one but my brother in law swears by his.

Good luck in your search!

I have a Browning white gold in the 270wsm and love it ..its a tack driver, but you will need more than 600 to 700 dollars to budget... this gunn will be 900 to 1000 than you need a good scope if you want a nice set up.

Check out some savages imo they make some of the best rifles around, very accurate.

4b0d51d266944161.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Nov-25-09 AT 10:43AM (MST)[p]Can't go wrong with a Remington 700. Rugar makes an excellent rifle too, the new hawkeye is definitely one to look in to.

I like savage rifles, very accurate but the finished product is not the nicest. Also very light, great for carrying around but tend to kick harder.

Not sure about the prices on those rifles but they should be right in your price range. Or they were last time I looked at guns anyways.

Can I ask why you chose the short mag over the regular 270 the ballistics gains don't justify cost to me.

+1 for the tikka t3. very lightweight, extremely accurate, and a very smooth action. I have one in the 270 wsm and love it.

It's easy to jump on the bandwagon with people who don't like Savage. But I would dare say they are the most accurate out of the box factory rifles you can buy. They have even won a few recent long range competitions... If you were to put a factory savage up against a factory remington I'd put my money on the savage.

Id also consider the rem 700. Cant go wrong with them. For a real budget Ive heard the Marlin XL7 is a very accurate rifle for around 350!

Don't limit your options. A couple years ago I went into a Pawn Shop to see if I could find a piece of chain to wrap around a stump that I was pulling, and came out with a nice walnut Remington Model 700 ADL with a Tasco scope for $450.

cory,
I have been toying with that same caliber in either SPS Rem 700 or Tikka T3.
I have handled them both and I have to say I favor the Tikka based on feel of the gun and action alone.
Good luck and let me know what you decide.
Ryan

I think Tikka and Savage are a very good choice. For a little more money I would pick up an X-Bolt. Love those guns.

I would look into a weatherby vanguard. The synthetic stainless would be nice. I saw them at walmart for 400 bucks. You could get a decent scope to go with it and be around 700.

Buy a .270 WBY mag. Should be able to get one in your price range no problem. My wife has shot one for years. LOTS of dead critters on the wall and in the photo album. You won't ever look back or be sorry!! Good luck.

Thanks everyone for the input- much appreciated!! I am going to look at several of the guns you guys have suggested and do some more research before pulling the trigger.

Thanks,

Cory

Try the Weatherby Vanguard Sub Moa it comes in the 270 wsm. i think its in that 600 to 700 dollar range.

"Let's keep things in perspective.I mean for Peet's sake there are kids in Africa that don't even hunt....hello" Jimmy Big Time

I bought a Remington 715 Sportsman in a 243 but I know it comes in 270 as well. Sythetic Stock delivered from Buds Guns for $315. I went less exspensive so I would have more funds for a better scope.

>I bought a Remington 715 Sportsman
>in a 243 but I
>know it comes in 270
>as well. Sythetic Stock delivered
>from Buds Guns for $315.
>I went less exspensive so
>I would have more funds
>for a better scope.

Dude....

All 3 of my huntin rifles are Browning BUT I bought my wife a Savage 116 2 years ago and WOW!!!!! Sweetest trigger I own, as accurate as any rifle in the safe. The 116 is the lsft hand stainless model. I think the 110 is the right hand stainless model but don't quote me on that.

Hers is a 7mm-08 and is very light and doesn't kick much. Can't believe the 270wsm recoil will be bad contrary to previous posts.

My next rifle, probably strictly a deer gun, will be a Savage if offered in the caliber I want. JUST SAYING

STAY AWAY FROM A KIMBER!! I bought a Kimber Montana 3 years ago in a 7WSM. I have returned it every year after the season to Kimber and this year I am done with it. It wont pick up the shell and put it in the chamber. Save you self and buy a 700 or Sako. I am sure Kimber makes some good guns but not in a shor mag.

Bought a Savage 25.06 Rem almost two years ago and used it this year on three Lopes, smoothest shooter I have. Really like their trigger and it is acturate, can't ask for anything else.

Brian

Thanks for the input from everyone on this thread.

I ended up going with the Savage Model 16 .270 WSM. It is the stainless Weather Warrior model with the Accustock and Accutrigger. I read a lot of great reviews and heard from a lot of guys that they are real happy with this gun, so we will see.

I have not shot it yet, but excited to get it out and see how it performs. I have not put a scope on it yet, so that is the next step.

Any suggestions on scopes? Anyone used the Vortex scopes (Viper or Diamondback) before?

Thanks again,

Cory

>Thanks for the input from everyone
>on this thread.
>
>I ended up going with the
>Savage Model 16 .270 WSM.
> It is the stainless
>Weather Warrior model with the
>Accustock and Accutrigger. I
>read a lot of great
>reviews and heard from a
>lot of guys that they
>are real happy with this
>gun, so we will see.
>
>
>I have not shot it yet,
>but excited to get it
>out and see how it
>performs. I have not
>put a scope on it
>yet, so that is the
>next step.
>
>Any suggestions on scopes? Anyone
>used the Vortex scopes (Viper
>or Diamondback) before?
>
>Thanks again,
>
>Cory

I've heard great things about the Vortex scopes. I bought a Vortex spotting scope last year and love it. You can also look at Nikon and Leupold. They both have scopes that will fit in most budgets. A good mid-range scope is the Nikon Buckmaster line.

I bought a Savage Weather Warroir in 270WSM a couple years ago and really like the gun. I ended up putting a Sightron 3x9 with Burris signature rings/mounts and have been very pleased.

Mark

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom