Longbow6360-How about an update? :-)

2lumpy

Long Time Member
I've been watching the Adventure Challenge threads since mid August for an update on your Kodiak longbow hunt. Hope all is well and you've just been too busy fleshing a hide to share your hunt with us.

DC

We've been so busy with Coho and Pink eggtake that I haven't been out lately. The wife and I took off to Crab Lagoon to fish for Coho and check out a couple beaches at the effluence of a couple creeks and saw 11 brown bears that evening. Only two were without cubs. Both were "no question" shooters. I plan on setting some trailcams here pretty quick. I'll keep posting my progress. COME ON OCT 25th!!!

Can't wait to see how things go. You've got a lot more juice in the tank than I do, be darn careful. I hope your son has a cannon on hand if things get toolumpy. Your arrows appear to be made with cedar shafts, just how close do you need to be to get it done with those wood shafts?

I posted this picture on my adventure challenge. I took this after I walked up on her at six paces!
3715dsc00451.jpg

My son is going to use my 300 Weatherby Accumark with 180grn Noslers. He's proved himself competent under pressure with bears in Idaho, Montana and Alaska. He shot a wounded, charging bear and turned and looked at us like "what? why are you guys running? wern't nothin." I have no problem with him shooting over my shoulder.

I'm shooting Port Orford Cedar shafts with four-point Cocobolo footing that I made myself. Here's a picture of one of my shafts from a pictorial I did for a instructional on making four-points for an Alaska bowhunting forum.
7171dsc00085.jpg

How close do I need to get??? Well.... I'm not as competent with my longbow as Lisa and I are with our longrange .338 competition rifles or even most bowhunters with their new fancy bows. If an animal is 25 yards (maybe 30), he's dead. I know that's not far but I know my limit and I stick with it, especially with bears.
I have no worries shooting a Kodiak brown bear through the ribs. I've skinned a few and I'm amazed at how wispy and thin their ribs are. On the other hand, I can't believe how massive and tough their shoulders are. They're big blocks of muscle, bone and sinew.
I've run into many, many Kodiaks up here and they normally don't want anything to do with people. But if you nudge into their personal/attack zone they can be pretty aggressive if not very, very dangerous. 25 yards is pushing them to aggression especially if they have cubs or are guarding food.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-20-14 AT 09:00AM (MST)[p]I'm over the top impressed. Anyone thats got the snickers to hunt griz, of any kind, with archery equipment gets my upmost respect. With cedar shafts.........I don't even know where to go with that. I guess the old timers we're into it but i'd have the same attitude about them. Longbow, we guys keep the wind in your face and your minds on your business.

I won't wish you good luck, (don't be relying on that) but I hope your hunt is a raging success!

DC

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom