Load

H

hi_lohunter

I realize it is best to shoot, shoot, shoot, then shoot some more to determine the best load for your muzzleloader. I've had a hectic year and at this point with a little more than a month to opening day, a full time job, family, and plenty to do on the weekends I do not have the time practice as much as needed. So if txhunter or someone else can advise please do so.

I have not used my muzzleloader in years and hopefully can hit the range once or twice before my hunt. I have a Remington ml700 inline .50 caliber. In the past I shot approx 100 grains of Pyrodex and had decent accuracy with power belts. I have reviewed this forum to try to determine what might be best today, almost 10 years after my last muzzleloader hunt.

I really don't have time to convert to 209 and sounds like that might be iffy anyway in a Remington ML. So I will be using #11 caps.

First question as I was unable to locate new caps today, will my older caps work? I realize I could probably test a few to determine the answer but figure a more experienced muzzleloader hunter might know the answer.

Second will my older Pyrodex work?

I purchased some Triple 7 and understand it burns a bit hotter than Pyrodex so I should load a bit lighter. I've also read it is harder to ignite. Will a #11 cap work on triple 7? or should I just stick to the Pyrodex?

What I am thinking is shooting #11 caps at about 85 grains of triple 7, and using Hornady FPB in 300 grains. BTW does FBP stand for F&$% power belt?

My hunt is in Colorado, I have a buck tag and either sex elk. Is the 300 grain FBP enough?

Ok enough questions, Any help is appreciated.

My Remington 700 ML & a Worthless F'N Cap Cost me a 30" Buck when it was New!

Had a Guy back East build me my first 209 Conversion & never looked back nor ever had another Mis-Fire Since!

You Keep Screwin with Caps & You'll Regret it!

[font color="red"]From My Smokin Cherry Red Hot Barrel & My Dead Cold Hands I Shall go down Fighting for American Pride & Rights!
I Know I'm Out Numbered by Pusssies & Brainwashed Democrats that'll Throw Their Hands in the air & I know I can't Lick the U.S. Military by Myself when they Turn on us but I'll make
you one Guarantee,They'll be Enduring a Situation where I Hope to Hell All Americans become True Americans once again & Stand up for their Rights!

I had great luck in my Remington 700 ML with 110 of Pyrodex Select shooting 300 grn Hornady HP XTP with both caps and musket caps. My gun seemed to like those a lot. I could easily hold a 2-3 inch group at 100 yards with a lyman peep sight. I wish I still has that gun.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom