LLWS

Oh, they played the Rockies?
I haven't followed LL a lot for many years now. It seems the top teams always have the best pitchers -- normally an over-developed 12 yr. old, that is 6'1" & 180 lbs.

In my youthful days in the '50s, I made the All-Star team each year as a pitcher. In one game, I struck out 17 of 21 outs & gave up 1 hit. I wasn't very big but had perfected a wicked sidearm motion that I mixed in about 1/2 & 1/2 with a conventional overhand delivery. The kids that were right-handed didn't much like seeing the ball released almost behind them and often bailed out long before it got to the plate.

I played Babe Ruth ball for a year, then got disinterested when I started high school. Then when baseball season was in swing, I was running relays on the track team.

It wouldn't be until I was in my 30s that I got back on the diamond playing AAA slow-picth softball as an infielder/outfielder. I did that well into the 1980s as I've mentioned here re: the Eagles, etc. .

I haven't followed LL a lot for many years now. It seems the top teams always have the best pitchers -- normally an over-developed 12 yr. old, that is 6'1" & 180 lbs.

In my youthful days in the '50s, I made the All-Star team each year as a pitcher. In one game, I struck out 17 of 21 outs & gave up 1 hit. I wasn't very big but had perfected a wicked sidearm motion that I mixed in about 1/2 & 1/2 with a conventional overhand delivery. The kids that were right-handed didn't much like seeing the ball released almost behind them and often bailed out long before it got to the plate.

I played Babe Ruth ball for a year, then got disinterested when I started high school. Then when baseball season was in swing, I was running relays on the track team.

It wouldn't be until I was in my 30s that I got back on the diamond playing AAA slow-picth softball as an infielder/outfielder. I did that well into the 1980s as I've mentioned here re: the Eagles, etc. .
Your baseball career was much more illustrious than mine. Mine consisted of 1 day, when I tried out for a LL team and didn't get picked. The End.

My two brothers both played. One brother went on the be the Commissioner of American Legion baseball in Oregon. He retired a few years ago.

Your baseball career was much more illustrious than mine. Mine consisted of 1 day, when I tried out for a LL team and didn't get picked. The End.

My two brothers both played. One brother went on the be the Commissioner of American Legion baseball in Oregon. He retired a few years ago.
My last tour in the Navy, we had a kid who was a walk on at Oregon State and ended up starting at Center Field. He was one of my divers. Great kid and super attitude; and he was taking care of his mom.

Anyway, we got together a base softball team. After the first 3-4 games, they started walking him every single time. DEEP home runs were routine. One hop throws home from deep CF were routine.

That's weird. In our town, any kid who wanted to play got picked & even HAD to play at least one inning each game. Most times he played right field late in the game, where he would do the least harm.

My last tour in the Navy, we had a kid who was a walk on at Oregon State and ended up starting at Center Field. He was one of my divers. Great kid and super attitude; and he was taking care of his mom.

Anyway, we got together a base softball team. After the first 3-4 games, they started walking him every single time. DEEP home runs were routine. One hop throws home from deep CF were routine.
There was a guy like that when I played for Bob's Sporting Goods in the most prestigious league in the Valley during the early '70s. His name was Elbie Bushong & he had played minor league ball with the Dodgers in the 60s. After his try at baseball, he became a Phoenix fireman & started playing AAA softball with the Kerr's Sporting Goods team, our biggest rivals over a couple years. He was a big dude & hit some prodigious homers.

We had a similar hitter on our team by the name of Jerry Johnson who was a hair dresser back then. He went on to have a very successful company that marketed hair care products for the trade.

Bushong was a couple years younger than me but died in 2017. I seem to recall that he eventually became like the 2nd in command of the Phx fire dept. This from his online obit:

At that point, he had started playing what became a very illustrious slo-pitch softball career. He played all over the United States, and was a member of at least 7 National Championship Teams and 7 All American Teams. He was elected to the United States Slo-Pitch Softball Association (USSSA) "Hall of Fame" in 1982. He is also a member of the Arizona Sports "Hall of Fame".

That's weird. In our town, any kid who wanted to play got picked & even HAD to play at least one inning each game. Most times he played right field late in the game, where he would do the least harm.
At some point they implemented that rule here but it was after my time.

I remember it like it was yesterday. Dad asked me if I wanted to try out? I said I guess. Up to that point I'd never held a baseball or a bat. I had to borrow a glove. My Dad was always working and had little time for sports.

They put me at shortstop and hit me a couple grounders that went between my legs. I got 1 at bat and got a hit to right field so I thought there was hope.

We hung around until they posted the names of those who got picked. Dad sent me over to check. I didn't see my name on any list and I was so embarrassed I took off running for home which was a couple miles away. Dad showed up later and we never spoke about it. Never. It was like it never happened.

I remember it like it was yesterday. Dad asked me if I wanted to try out? I said I guess. Up to that point I'd never held a baseball or a bat. I had to borrow a glove. My Dad was always working and had little time for sports.
Sounds like my illustrious high school baskeball stint.

I was a member of the first freshman class in our HS, which consisted of 120 warm bodies. So when they decided to put a basketball team together, I tried out even though I was only 5'6" at the time. I had spent my younger days playing baseball, pick-up football & ice hockey. As a result I didn't know how to even dribble a basketball, much less shoot a jump shot. I didn't make it past the 1st cut a day after try-outs began.

That effectively ended my basketball career for then but I started playing a bit more. In my senior year, I had grown all the way to a 5'8" monster & was a member of the senior class intramural champs. Even got a picture in the year book with me in the middle holding the ball. If I ever get my broke 'puter operating, I'll scan it to provoke some giggles here. ?

Last edited:
Sounds like my illustrious high school baskeball stint.

I was a member of the first freshman class in our HS, which consisted of 120 warm bodies. So when they decided to put a basketball team together, I tried out even though I was only 5'6" at the time. I had spent my younger days playing baseball, pick-up football & ice hockey. As a result I didn't know how to even dribble a basketball, much less shoot a jump shot. I didn't make it past the 1st cut a day after try-outs began.

That effectively ended my basketball career for then but I started playing a bit more. In my senior year, I had grown all the way to a 5'8" monster & was a member of the senior class intramural champs. Even got a picture in the year book with me in the middle holding the ball. If I ever get my broke 'puter operating, I'll scan it to provoke some giggles here. ?
We did gymnastics in PE one year and the coach asked me to be on the team. I loved gymnastics but all the practices were after school so that only lasted for about a week. I had to ride the bus to get home and had no ride so I quit. I was on the tennis team too and the same thing happened.

About then I picked up a gun and a fishing pole and that ended the organized sports for me.

I didn't get into hunting & fishing until after HS a bit in Joisey. But it wasn't until we moved to AZ in Jan.'62 that I became more engrossed in both. And as our family grew, so did our outdoor outings together.

Circa 1967-8 -- Big Lake, AZ

Kids2.jpg

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom