Little speed goat help guys?

elkhuntn247

Ok so I have got max points in WY for a lope. I have just been buying a point every year and now its time to cash in. I live in northere UT so I was kinda lookin at some of the SW units 90-100 ect. but ill go where I need to go. public land would be nice. My Christensen 300WSM is hungry for a 75"+ goat.

sounds like there are really no secrets and I cant find any units that are classified as a trophy unit. any info would be great I dont plan on applying tell close to the deadline just so i can rebound from Christmas lol

If a 75 will satisfy then it really doesn't matter which unit you pick. (Unless they all die from this long nasty winter. Lots of snow) If you plan on using the 300 and want to hunt this sw corner, you need to stick with 93,94, or 95. You can look on the net for % chance to draw. They all have decent bucks. 93 and 95 has had great bucks but it can get very frustrating if you get caught up in areas with oil roads. They spider web everywhere and it's tough to find your way out of them. If you spend the time, there are pockets in every unit that hold good goats. Good Luck. If you need more info maybe we can talk later.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-06-11 AT 08:02AM (MST)[p]+1 to what bucklover said. Also, ''Trophy'' is in the eye of the beholder. A 75'' goat is a darn nice one. From what I've seen the average antelope taken in the units most people consider to be the best trophy units in the state is about 75''. The units you mentioned also produce 80 inchers every year. So, the bottom line is get a tag and go kill one ! GOOD LUCK. Chip

I have hunted antelope in several Wyoming units and I really can't tell the difference in quallity.The biggest thing with antelope is know what you are looking at.They can be very hard to judge in the field.
all antelope units produce some good animals every year.

thanks a ton guys! Im gonna hunt hard and try to break the 80" mark. but wont pass a 75" goat. I heard 92 has some very nice goats

I have taken a few good goats in both 94 and 93. It just might take some time scouting, and don't count on finding the same goat twice during September.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-07-11 AT 05:13PM (MST)[p]Don't overlook unit 114 from Worland east and north. The area has few tags issued and there are some bruiser goats shot there every year. A retired Army Sgt. took an 85" one from there last year and there is so much public land I can guarantee you will take one in the upper 70s with no problem!!! I took this 14 1/2" one (app. 76" B&C score) in 115 to the east of 114 in 2009 and was picking and choosing what to shoot, but it doesn't have as much public land to hunt.

http://www.monstermuleys.info/photos/user_photos/7325ndwyoming_2009_031.jpg

Do not put in for 92 if you want a trophy.Probably the worst unit out of all those you mentioned for a 75+.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-07-11 AT 09:04PM (MST)[p]elkhuntn247---If you put in for 114 and draw the tag, please let me know. I have the maps of the unit I made with my computer CD ROM program when I hunted that area for mulies a couple years ago and can get that to you and help you with where to start, etc, Here's my goat on the wall over my computer desk. The name is Mike Stephenson and my email addy is: [email protected]

5735lm_015.jpg

I would suggest 90 type 1 if you can get it we took a 74 and a 78 this year with bows out of this area and they weren't the biggest we saw. My buddy took a 82 out of this area a few years back just go all the way to the south border and hunt the muddy river you'll turn them up no problem

I'm gonna throw 96 in as well. We killed a couple goats over 80" this year the big one went 85 7/8". You'll need 4 points at least.

TICK
TALL, WIDE, AND HANDSOME

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom