lions killing sheep??

jcmuleys

I started hunting lions this year. I found an area that the state will not let anyone hunt lions because of it is an area that the Bighorns winter. The problem is there are several lions killing sheep all winter long and the only shot a guy has is waiting for the lions to come out. The other day a friend found a 202 muley that the female lion with kittens had killed.
I like hunting lions and i like to hunt lions that are killed bighorns. Would it be a good idea to talk to the Sheep Foundation and tell them what is going on? Or the Mule Deer Foundation? I know the DOW hates it that the lions are killing the sheep. And with all the money they have invested in the sheep you would think that they actually would give a dang about what was going on.
Just your thoughts??
JC
Colorado Hunting Consultants LLC
www.cohunthelp.com

What state?
Whatever state, it is a silly policy to close off an area like that based on the assumption that humans might disturb some sheep while letting the lions have a banquet table of sheep all to themselves all winter.
Hopefully access will be given to remove the offending lions or at the very least, Wildlife services can go in and remove them and protect the sheep.

----------------------------------------
Measure wealth by the things you have,, for which you would not take money.

Well to be honest I could think of one reason. There are a few studys done on it. One of them had a large male killing the sheep. They removed the tom, and found that it resulted in more sheep kills due to the fact that move immature lions moved into the area the large male was defending. Just a thought. Also that does stink the cats killed a big buck like that. But i bet it would suprise you the amount of big bucks that get killed by cats every year. The big boys are usually more vunerable because they hang out up high in small groups. But i would ten time rather a cat kill them than wolves.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-08-10 AT 06:47AM (MST)[p]I still feel that having lion hunters in an area is much better for the longterm health of the sheep than lions. Spooked sheep live to reproduce, sheep killed by lions are well,,, dead :)
Female lions with young kill as much or more than single males. I think things are waaaaay over thought sometimes.

----------------------------------------
Measure wealth by the things you have,, for which you would not take money.

Pooner, i won't suprise me a bit how many bucks get killed by lions i see it all the time. The fact of the matter is not just dealing with one big tom we are dealing with a bunch of lions and there are some big toms and young toms and lots of females with kittens. There just needs to be some hunting done in there.
JC
Colorado Hunting Consultants LLC
www.cohunthelp.com

thats just not right, even though they are a resource they need to be keeped in check and managed, one thing is for sure they can do some damage to sheep in a hurry, you can always come to NM to help out with our population. nmbighorn

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom