Lion Import

grizzly

Long Time Member
Is there an updated resource for import regulations somewhere? I'm looking to book for 2026 and am considering a lion, but I want to make sure I won't have any import issues. I've seen some articles about import being okay from S.A. as long as they're wild lions (not captive-bred), is that still the law?

What I can find are dated articles from DSC & SCI, so I don't know if the info is current.

There is no lions at this time you will get back from SA. There is some that were released and breeding and fall under a different category then the regular cbl of SA. They sell for over 50,000 dollars and no one knows for sure if they will be imported or not yet.There is no true wild lions on quota in SA as well as no elephant or leopards either. There is only a few places that do the paperwork our goverment wants to be imported. Tanz .one or 2 places in Moz a few areas in zim and namibia and zamibia. There is a guy cant rmemeber his fill name but last name is jackson and he is the guy who knows and helps some get elephat and lions back here.

There is no lions at this time you will get back from SA. There is some that were released and breeding and fall under a different category then the regular cbl of SA. They sell for over 50,000 dollars and no one knows for sure if they will be imported or not yet.There is no true wild lions on quota in SA as well as no elephant or leopards either. There is only a few places that do the paperwork our goverment wants to be imported. Tanz .one or 2 places in Moz a few areas in zim and namibia and zamibia. There is a guy cant rmemeber his fill name but last name is jackson and he is the guy who knows and helps some get elephat and lions back here.
Thanks, I figured if anybody would know, you would. Thanks again

the rules and laws change yearly sometimes on lions and elephant it seems. So always be sure to ask who ever is selling the hunt if the right paperwork is in place to export lion

Yes, John Jackson of Conservation Force is who you want to talk to about importable lions. There are a few areas where lions can be imported from, but it takes time and is expensive. You might also contact Wyatt Fetner of Safari Specialty Importers, he’s also working on lion imports.

Tanzania, most of the traditional areas like Rungwa, Ugalla, Maswa, Selous, Moyowasi and some other areas I can’t recall at the moment. I’m not sure if you can import a Masailand lion or not. Not even sure who may have lion on quota in Masailand.

Mozambique, only the Niassa Reserve.

Zambia, I believe both the Luangwa Valley (Upper Lupande is a good one) and Kafue Plateau concessions (Kasonso Busanga) and a few other areas.

Zimbabwe , the Conservancies such as Bubye (best lions), Save & Nuanetsi and possibly also Matetsi for importable lions.

Namibia, I’m not sure if you can import a Namibian lion or not, but I know a hunter who is going to Namibia for lion next month, so will find out.

South Africa - none that I’m aware of.

Keep this in mind when looking for a lion hunt…
1; it’s about as expensive as an African hunt gets for a quality hunt with high success in good 6+ lions.
2; if you want a big mane, look for areas that are colder and higher elevation as those areas tend to produce better manes in general. Areas like Matetsi (3,500 ft elevation), Kafue (4,000 ft.), Rungwa (5,00 ft.) and Masailand (6,000+ ft.) tend to produce better manes than places like the Selous or Zambezi Valley. That said, you can be lucky and kill a good mane in unlikely areas.
3; a proper lion hunt, either baited or tracking on foot (I am excluding high fenced lions in Northwest of South Africa) are one of Africa’s great hunts.
4; the best areas for wild lion hunting have success rates of 50-70%. High success areas boasting near 100% success are ALL high fence, and too often, canned hunts.
5; if you’re going to do a wild lion hunt in a good area, be prepared to spend $100,000 or more.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom