Limited Entry Elk

BenHuntn

Well I'm going into the draw with 9 points and was wondering if I am getting closer to drawing one of the better units. I would like to draw a tag within the next couple of years. What are you thoughts. Also it will be an any weapon hunt. I was thinking of the Wasatch unit.

Julius

Right now you need 14 points to draw a rifle tag for the wasatch. YOu are a few years away, plus point creep. OR if they ruin that tag, which the dwr is very close in doing, then you couldnt give that tag to someone. Way too many tags and cow tags to sustain any type of quality hunt. I hope I am wrong.

Got to have cows to make bulls, Wasatch is going to be hurting in a few years when the lack of bull calf's shows up. The bulls in this unit have not shown the effects of the slaughter, but they will. Numbers of spikes have dwindled. You do the math, I bet the Wasatch unit falls off a lot of guys radar in the near future. Just like fishlake, only bigger. 9 points huh? Yep your still a few years away. Bow in hand would change everything. I know kinda sucks, it would be a lot more interesting if the division would pull there heads out and have the archery hunt during the damn rut. I'm sorry guys/gals I need to quit my sniveling, seems like every time I am on here I start ranting about what a pathetic job the division is doing managing our herds. I cant help it, just frickin amazes me!

+1 to all four posts above.

1- You're not close on points for any weapon hunts.
2- Wasatch has a ton of bulls currently but the REDUCED cow numbers will really damage the unit in the next few years.
3- Good luck, you're not the only one who is 5-10 year out!
Zeke

If you want to hunt with a rifle, unless you are lucky, you won't be hunting in the next couple years. In 2014 it took 12 points to be in the guaranteed point pool on the Wasatch late rifle tag, and 15 for the early rifle tag. Point creep might extend those numbers over the next 4-5 years as well.

With 9 points this year you would be likely to draw the Wasatch muzzy tag. It's a tough hunt in that those elk have been chased literally every day for the previous 5 weeks. And you will need to be closer to be able to kill a bull with a muzzy than a rifle, obviously. Harvest rates for the last few years are as follows: 2014- 63%; 2013- 63%; 2012- 68.3%. But it is in the rut, and it is a VERY fun hunt! If I was down lower in points like that, I would be looking for a muzzy hunt rather than waiting for a rifle hunt. But that might not work for you or for others.

With 9 points you should do archery or muzzleloader. Remember that the muzzleloader hunt should be right during the rut this year and the season is a few days longer than normal. Do not do archery this year since the archery hunt ends about a week before the rut really starts.

+1 for Wasatch muzzleloader.

I have 13 points, but as a non-resident. I am putting in for a muzzleloader elk tag in southern Utah closer to family. Mostly because I don't have a truck this year and my Toyota Camry does not have the best off-roading features.

Dillon
www.dillonhoyt.com

Looks like you could snag a LaSal LaSal Late Rifle tag...

You could get a Nebo Muzzy Tag

You could get a North Slope/Three Corners Muzzy Tag

You could get a Paunsy Muzzy Tag

You could get a South Slope Diamond Mtn Tag

And finally, the 2014 Draw Results would indicate that you could get the Wasatch Muzzy tag, if nobody puts in with higher points that didn't put in last year. But that is doubtful. The Wasatch is a unit that people jump into after building points and not putting in. I would not guarantee you a tag in that unit, for that hunt. But with so many tags, I'd guarantee you are in the bonus tag pool at the top.

"Therefore, wo be unto him that is at ease in Zion!" 2 Ne. 28: 24

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom