Lima Montana Elk

D

dwayneb

Hello,

Got a question, I have been invited to hunt my buddies ranch in Lima, im active duty military so dont know when exactly this will happen but should i buy a preference point or something to help draw another yr? Does anyone know what unit Lima is in? I cant bring up the guide book to answer these questions myself, the afghanistan internet is terrible...thanks in advance.

dwayne

dwayne,
That area is Region 3 and here is a map link for you hope that you can print it out to read it. Unit 325 and 327 are east of Lima.
I got my first Bull in that 325 unit and have hunted there only twice.
Hope that this helps you and as far as buying the point....I won't but that is my choice and have went round and round years ago over this MT point buying so don't agree to what some will say but that is MY DECISION and not someone elses.

http://fwpiis.mt.gov/content/getItem.aspx?id=42212 Look up and click for the 2nd page button and it will show the right map for that area.

And thanks for your service to this country and stay safe and a speedy return home.

Brian
http://i25.tinypic.com/fxbjgy.jpg[/IMG]

thanks to everyone for your input..i appreciate the advice if you ever need any tips for South Dakota give me a shout, ive hunted there for the past 12 yrs.

You have 2 optoins, neither will allow you to get a prefrence point with out applying.

IF your buddy has a big enough ranch and IF you plan on hunting it with him and no other area... you can get a land owner permit for his place, but he has to sponsor you and his ranch has to qualify.

The other option is to apply for a combo tag, and spend the $20 for a prefrence point. If you draw, you can return the tag if you can't hunt. If you don't draw you get a point. MT points are not really a good deal, but statistically they improve your chance of drawing the following year.

I know Kilowatt is afraid of being a statistic ;-) but personally you arn't out much if you buy a point. I think I'm 6 for 6 with no points.

Good luck, and thanks for your service.

Hunted twice near Lima and got two elk, but that was years ago. Are there many elk left being so close to ground Zero Wolf central?

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

I have hunted the Lima area for years... There is a lot of people that run around those hills. Some of the scariest hunts i've been on were there, due to crossfire on large herds of elk. It's been a couple years since I hunted in that area, but when I did, I wasn't to impressed with the area, which is why I have given it up. There are areas to "get away" from crowds. but you better be ready to pack your meat some miles. good luck

"Like a midget at the urinal, always be on your toes!"
www.Anacondatreasure.com
www.rwmurals.com
http://www.themontanagallery.com/

What is your buddys name? Or what ranch? I know the area like the back side of my hand. Are you looking for meat or some horn? If you are looking for just having a good hunt, then you might want to go somewhere that you can get away from the crazy hunters. I personally am not a fan of the crowds but if all you want is to get some meat and there is a fresh foot of snow you could see hundreds of elk. last year unit 302 went to elk via draw only, and that include bulls. so if your buddys ranch is there you will want to put in. it is a 100% draw but you do have to put in.

My family has a big ranch around Lima. My experience has been its a crap shoot pending the weather/migration. If you need help let me know.

Also, does anybody know when the landowners need to apply for landowner tags? In the past we haven't done this but I'm considering.

Thanks

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Montana Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Mule deer, whitetail, antelope, buffalo, and prairie dogs on private ranch leases totaling about 100,000 acres.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail and antelope and manage our ranches for top quality.

Vargo Hunting

Top quality bear, antelope and free range bison hunts on the Crow Indian Res. Turkey and cougar as well.

Back
Top Bottom