Lightweigt tripod and head recommendations needed

S

slammer

I am looking to purchase a tripod and head for a 2 pound spotting scope. Looking for something stable, well built and lightweight as it will see backpacking activity. I have some models in mind but would like to hear what others say. Budget is $300 or less.

Thanks

I use a Slik Sprint Pro Tripod with a Jim White Pan Head. I have $300 into the package, with $250 in the head itself. I was able to pick up the Tripod on EBAY for $50. The setup is lightweight and works great with heavier binocs, I have used Swarovski 15x56's, Zeiss 8x56's and Leica Geovid 15's on it with no issues.

Lightweight and stable are mutually exclusive traits when discussing tripods for optics, unless you are willing to lay in the prone position to view.

I bought a little Vortex tripod I believe is called the High Country. Very light and compact. Works just fine with my little Nikon Spotter

Bought it from Cameraland for less than $100.00 a couple years back.

the artist formerly known as "gemstatejake".

I went with a Rocketfish, from Best Buy, for ?$80.

Carbon fiber legs, twist leg locks, a hook stability, rated for around 15lbs, ball head WITH pan feature (and is removable) and 21in long closed and 46in fully raised.

I really like it and consider it worth the time of looking at.

hope this helps..

I too went with the Rocketfish tripod which I picked up on eBay for like 60 bux, so far it seems like a nice tripod (haven't had it in the field yet though) Seems pretty well built, I like the twist leg locks as opposed to the clamps... I also went with a Promaster 3 way pan head (didn't like the stock head), might be switching to something a little different although I like that it is purdy light weight... Ill try and post some pics of my setup a little later tonight.

>I use a Slik Sprint Pro
>Tripod with a Jim White
>Pan Head. I have
>$300 into the package, with
>$250 in the head itself.
> I was able to
>pick up the Tripod on
>EBAY for $50. The
>setup is lightweight and works
>great with heavier binocs, I
>have used Swarovski 15x56's, Zeiss
>8x56's and Leica Geovid 15's
>on it with no issues.
>

I also use the slik sprint pro--you can get this tripod and sliks panhead for around $100 and the entire set up only weighs 2 lbs. works great with my Swaro 15's and ATS 80.

Save up a few hundred more dollars and bite the bullet on a nice tri pod. I would only consider buying a Gitzo mountaineering tri pod. They make a number of tri pods to fit what you are after, back packing light weight tri-pods(GT-1541 series) to a little larger Ttri-pods such as the GT-531 series. They are THEE best tri pods on the market bar none. If you are looking for stability and light weight they are the ticket. I have burned $$ on inferior tri-pods that break down over 1 or 2 years and finally bought into the mantra of buy nice or buy twice! They have a life time warranty are one of my favorite pieces of hunting gear I own. Hope that helps.

Fever

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom