lightweight spotter

O

OldMan

I've been considering upgrading my spotting scope a bit. I'm comparing the Nikon Fieldscope 13X30 to the Leupold 15X30. Both are 50 mm and weigh about 1.5 lbs. Do any of you guys have experience with either or know of another one I may want to think about getting. The Nikon is about 200 bucks more and weighs a few onces less. Both have lifetime warranties. I think either would make a great lightweight setup with my Slik carbon fiber legs. The whole combination would weigh in around 4.5 lbs. I might need to tie a rock to it in high wind, but at least it will be in the field with me.

I believe the Nikon has a lifetime unconditional warranty. I'm not sure about leupold. If it was me I would pay the extra dough to have the better warranty.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-31-10 AT 11:57AM (MST)[p]Had both. the Nikon is quite a bit better IMO.

(the old fixed power Leupold was my favorite spotter. Unfortuneatley mine has been laying somewhere on a mountain in northern Nevada for five years. I'll bet it would stlii work fine too. No longer make them but if you ever came across one for sale I'd buy it.)

the artist formerly known as "gemstatejake".

I've had both and the Nikon is great but the Leupold isn't worth crap. It was worth than the 100 dollar winchester scope from sportsmans guide. Really. You might get the Nikon with the 13-40 lens if you do lots of looking.
flyingbrass
cold dead hands
NRA Life Member

Hey GSJ I have a used fixed powered Leupold. Got it about five years ago in northern nevada its a little dirty but all sell it cheap! ;)

A friend of mine has a old fixed power leupold. He won't part with it for anything. Good call on the XL as it is in the size class I'm looking at. I'll likely end up paying the extra 200 since with glass it is usually worth it. I hope to be able to get some of them side by side to compare.

>Hey GSJ I have a used
>fixed powered Leupold. Got it
>about five years ago in
>northern nevada its a little
>dirty but all sell it
>cheap! ;)

If your selling, I'm buying...... The good news is that I lost it running down the hill to a big buck I had just shot. Spent the next day scouring that brushy hillside...No dice. Keep meaning to go back and look again someday. I'll bet it's still there!

the artist formerly known as "gemstatejake".

Well if you ever go back to the spot to look I hope you find it. It sucks losing your belongings. I once set my 22-250 down in some oak brush, got up and hiked about another mile when I realized I left it on the ground. Took a good three hours or so to find it.

I have the Leupold 15-30x50 compact. I don't know why people are saying this scope is crap. I love it. I was on a budget, so that's what I went with. I have looked at the nikon as well and if the 200 bucks isn't an issue I would go with it. It is a little bit lighter, and you can change out eyepieces with their other scopes. As far as the optical quality, I didn't have the Nikon out in the field next the the leupold, but I would say they are fairly similar.

WYmoose

I have the Nikon and really like it. I do a lot of backpack hunting, and the light weight, compact size is so nice. I did buy the 13x40 eyepiece as well, to get a little more range out of it. The eye relief is not the best, but I'll take the trade-off for being so light weight.

copple2

I have the Leupold 15x30 and love it. I had the fixed 25 power but the carry case zipper scatched the lens after having it 20 years. They replaced it with the 15x30 about 5 years ago. I really like the belt looped soft carry case it comes with too.

My buddy has the older [15yrs] Leopold and the newer Nikon 50mm compact and the Nikon is the clear winner

If you compared new to new the difference may not be as significant

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom