Leupold RX-IV

mtmuley

Long Time Member
I'm getting close to replacing my lost rangefinder. I've heard from some guys here at MM that the Leupolds are not very high quality as of yet. I thought I read that the higher end models were re-designed. Is the RX-IV a decent product? I like the style better than the thin vertically held models from other makers,but if it is junk, the Leica LRF 900 isn't much more money. What do you guys think? Thanks, mtmuley

I have the RX-2 and absolutely love it. Leica glass is probably better quality but since your not looking through a rangefinder all day long like you would be with bino's or a spotting scope then I feel the Leupold is very sufficient. Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but I do not think Leica makes a rangefinder with angle compensation. fatrooster.

I've also read a lot of negative reviews on Leupold's range finders. However, my experience for the last 3 years with my RX-IV has been all positive. Since I hunt steep stuff, the angle compensation was my deciding factor.

muley, my buddy has them, and IMO they struggle to read anything beyond 500 yards. also, we found out they were no good in low light. It was light enough to shoot, but he could not get a reading? my Leica's and another buddy's swaro's gave instant readings.

From what I have seen, I haven't been impressed, and I know you aint afraid of a longish shot, especially practicing so I really think you will be disappointed. I like all of my Leupold products, but I simply think they have a ways to go yet in the rangefinder market.

I really have liked my LRF 1200, and can recommend them. I have seen them going for 300 bucks and less on a few forums. If you want, I will notify you if I see another deal like that.

REDDOG, Thanks for the info. I would like to be able to read the longer yardages, shot or not. I was leaning towards the Leica, as I want this to be my last rangefinder. (unless I do a bonehead move and lose another one) pm me if you see a good deal like you mentioned. Thanks guys, mtmuley

My RX-IV is supposed to range out to 1500 yds. In the real world I usually get around half of that.

Dad has a Leupold and I have the Leica, no comparison. First, the Leupold is confusing with all the extra things it can do/settings. I can get ranges quicker and more consistent with my Leica. Pay the extra money, you won't have any regrets.

Rich

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom