Leupold reticle change

muleyhunter413

I initially put this in the wrong forum and so I am now putting it in the correct spot, (thanks Kilo). I am thinking of having leupold put a new and diff. reticle in my VXIII. If any of you have done this please let me know how it worked out for you and also the cost. Also if you have any knowledge of the custom reticle they do to match your ballistics would be great as well, thanks.

On your questions asked in the other forum, if you should buy a new scope or a rangefinder and i now see you already have a VXIII in possession, helps to make a easy reply. With that info and your comment of only being able to buy one or the other, i'd highly recommend that you stick with your existing scope and buy a good quality rangefinder. A rangefinder allows to to measure your bullet drops at any given distance. Not as easy as the turrets yet it has advantages, the needed practice in finding out what those drops exactly are, being chief among them.

Regardless what you do with the scope, IMO, in today's hunting world, a rangefinder is a "must have" piece of equipment. Being you're talking turrets, even more so. Leica makes a great quality, good value glass that is not cheap but you probably will never regret buying it. Good luck!

Joey

Thanks for your input. I am really liking the idea of getting a new reticle from leupold. I would really like the custom, but just worrried about the cost. The only things I want to change about my scope are the reticle and if I did get a new one I would go a little higher power. Currently i have the 4.5-14. I also am leaning toward the leica rangefinder (crf 1200). I found it on ebay for under 500.
Thanks again for your advice.

LAST EDITED ON May-10-09 AT 01:48PM (MST)[p]I've had them do 2 of my VX3 3.5x10x40 scopes just before last hunting season. I'm lucky, I live about 20 minutes away from the Leupold factory so just drove over and got to talk with the Tech that did the work. On both scopes, they came with a regualr duplex reticle, and I had them install their Custom Shop caliber specific reticle with the dots - it ends up looking almost exactly like their Long Range Duplex (LRD)reticle but it has 1 more dot and is specific to a caliber and bullet. I had one done for my 280Rem for 140 grain Corelokts, and another one for my 7mm-08 also for 140 grain. I think it was around $70.00 for each and the work was completed in about a week. I like the reticle, but really I almost prefer the standard LRD better since its not specific to a particular caliber or bullet weight. I've since switched to their Mark 2 Hunter scope in 3x9x40 with the LRD reticle. But, it does work great its just that if you have it done, you can't really change out that scope to another gun unless the ballistics are a close enough match, otherwise the dots don't work out. The LRD or even the B&C reticle might be better. Talk to someone in the Custom Shop though, they are great to deal with.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom