Leupold rebuild

slamdunk

I'm looking into sending in my VXIII to have target turrets and finer crosshairs put in it.

Anyone done this and what was your experience?

48288e6577d023b6.jpg

They have a pretty decent turnaround time and they do a good job. One thing about leupold is that they have great customer service. Call or email ahead and get the quotes for the shipping and services. I usually drop in a check.

I have never done the crosshairs but have had the turrets done, you thinkin custom, cut for your load? i recomend it! you will love it and wonder why it took you so long! i think the turn around time was about 3 weeks, but they will give you an estimate.

REDDOG-
Thanks for the advice guys, i'll make a decision and send it in for work.
I am not sure i like the idea of having the scope set up for a particular load for my .300wby in case i want to change loads again someday.
I was thinking more of the lines of the tacticle turrets where i sight it in and set it up my self for what i'm currently shooting.

I want to push my long range limits with my rifle and go from a 180gr Nosler ballistic tip shooting at 3250, down to a Swift Scirocco shooting at 3420 and want a scope to help me with the guesswork out past 300yds.

48288e6577d023b6.jpg

I'M shipping an M8 6x42 today to Leupy for an M1 elevation turret only. I've got a rebarred .308 (22" SS 3-groove 10" twisty) waiting for a new stock.

45 DAYS TILL DEER SEASON OPENS IN ALASKA!!!

New Mex results tomorrow . . . . . . . . . .

I haven't heard great things about the Stoney Points, but I've never personally tried them.

the thing i like about the custom cut turrets, they are simple. you dont have to carry a chart and worry about how many revulutions you'v made or number of clicks, if you want to dial in for a 750 yard shot, turn the knob to 750, your done! and fwiw, these turrets are by no means permenant, have two cut for your differnt bullets, they come off with a simple allen head set screw.

It's no replacement for the real thing. Plus it's too much of a hassle when swapping loads or swapping scopes. There's other things you can't adjust for. Say for example the a lot of powder gives you a different velocity, or you live at a low elevation and go into higher elevations to hunt. If you have time to range an animal and twist a turret, a glance at chart taped to your stock isn't going to slow you down none.

daniel, how much do you adjust for elevation and temp.? for me it is a mute point while hunting. i do carry a chart, but its for somthing much mor important then the temp. Wind, at long range is just as important as elevation (not the sea level kind either), i am sure you know this however.

REDDOG, it isn't much I'll agree. But every little bit of potential accuracy/correction is worth it to me. With the rising costs of tags/fuel/ammo/everything, if I fail on a hunt, I would like to know the limiting factor was myself and not my equipment.

My main point is, I like to maximize the uses of my scope and putting the range adjusted "turret" on one is more like a BDC to me than a true turret. Why limit the use of your equipment?

Of course wind is anyone's game and separates true shooters from the rest of us. I unfortunately suck at it (but getting better) Anyone can compensate for range, that is just physics. But reading and dialing/holding for wind is black magic in itself. I usually dial for ele, and hold for wind when hunting.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-02-08 AT 01:49PM (MST)[p]
Reddog?
I good rule of thumb to remember for distance over 600 yards is for every 20 degrees of temperature change & any altitude change of 1000 feet you should add ? min or subtract ? min from your established data. This is good for most bullets leaving the muzzle over 2900fps with a BC of .500 or higher.

Completesportsman..
The main thing I don't not like about the stonypont turret set up is, if you get off one revolution you have no way of knowing where your zero is + you only have 15MOA to work with before loosing track of your zero

Slamdunk...
When you get your scope back come up for a day to shoot the 1600yrd range.

Justin Richins
R&K Hunting Company Inc.
www.thehuntingcompany.com

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom