Lets talk Tires

nfh

Long Time Member
What do you guys like for tires. i pull heavy trailers and i have a ton of mods on my cummins so that rear tourqe eats up tires pretty quick..

i just tried some yokohama's and i wasnt impressed.
Toyos make a good all terrain tire but they are super pricey.

i have the same problem. i tow heavy on a lot of steep gravel roads. i have tried most of the load range e mud terrains. toyo, nitto, hercules, cooper, hankook, bfg.

the nittos were good looking and not too expensive. the bfg mud terrains were the most expensive and worth every penny.

the rest wore out quickly, just got chewed up with the heavy trailers on the gravel

LAST EDITED ON Jul-18-12 AT 10:05PM (MST)[p]Michelin LTX M/S2

[http://www.4wheelparts.com/Tires/Michelin-Tires-LTX-M-S.aspx?t_c=13&t_s=458&t_pt=100900&t_pl=100278]

These tires have the proper load rating and a 70,000 mile tread wear warranty.

A buddy of mine got nearly 100k miles out of them on his Dodge.

They were all back ordered when I needed new tires so I ended up with the LTX A/T2, but they are wearing out rather quickly, but only because I can't seem to keep my foot out of the throttle in my Ford. Over 1000 ft lbs of torque makes it nearly impossible NOT to smoke the tires unless you drive like a 'ol blue hair all the time. yea.. my truck has a few mods too :)

Bfg km2 stands up the best out of any tires I've tried... My boss doesn't like them because they're expensive.... I get between 10-160s out of everything else...

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

I am glad to see this post. I am about to purchase a tuire and have been waiting for weeks just trying to decise what to do. I have always used BFG all terrains but switched last set of tires and was DISSAPOINTED. So I am going back to BFG but was curious what people think of the KM2. I think I might go with those. At my local Big O tires, only 1$ difference. So why not, Right?

All this info is on my 04 cummins 285/70/17 {33x11.5x17R)
which I run at 50 PSI and rotate every 7500 miles

The BFG All-Terrain I got 41,000 miles out of but they don't clean out worth a crap so in my opinion are worthless

The Toyos All-Terrain got 43,000 miles out of clean out good but are the most expensive tire out there

The Nittos All-Terrain I get 31,000 miles out of they clean out good and where even and are one of the cheapest tires on the market

>LAST EDITED ON Jul-18-12
>AT 10:05?PM (MST)

>
>Michelin LTX M/S2
>
>[http://www.4wheelparts.com/Tires/Michelin-Tires-LTX-M-S.aspx?t_c=13&t_s=458&t_pt=100900&t_pl=100278]
>
>These tires have the proper load
>rating and a 70,000 mile
>tread wear warranty.
>
>A buddy of mine got nearly
>100k miles out of them
>on his Dodge.
>
>They were all back ordered when
>I needed new tires so
>I ended up with the
>LTX A/T2, but they are
>wearing out rather quickly, but
>only because I can't seem
>to keep my foot out
>of the throttle in my
>Ford. Over 1000 ft lbs
>of torque makes it nearly
>impossible NOT to smoke the
>tires unless you drive like
>a 'ol blue hair all
>the time. yea.. my
>truck has a few mods
>too :)
>
>

1Fast is Right!

I run several sets of the Michelins 50K on a Truck that Weighed 12,000 lbs!

This Work Truck I have now is the Tire Eatinest SOB I've ever seen!

Lots of Tires on the market now days boasting a 50,000 Guarantee!

Very few of them will go that far!

You want good wearing Tires?

You talk to kilo!

He run a set 97,000 miles and they still had 35% Tread left!:D

But remember,you gotta rotate them every 500 miles!:D

Right kilo?:D

[font color=red size=redsize=18"face"]SHOW THEM TO ME![/font]
If You Love Your Country,SHOW THEM TO ME!

I've got Wild Honey Tree's and Crazy Little Weeds growin around my Shack!
These Dusty Roads ain't streets of gold but I'm happy right where I'm at!
All these Perty little Western Belles are a Country Boys Dream!
They ain't got Wings or MM Halo's but they sure look good to me!

every tire is just a hit and miss. i find something good for sand,snow and all the above but towing just kills them... its just a hit and miss.

A lot of the oil & gas companies around here are running the Goodyear Duratrak's and are claiming great mileage out of them.

I have them on my 78 F250 supercab, but I can't make any claims on about how long they will last because the speedo is way off and so is the odometer.

I will say that they are by far the best "Traction" tire I've ever ran. Outstanding in snow/rain and very surprisingly good in mud.

For a HD pickup that sees heavy weights I still have the opinion that the Michelin noted above is the best choice.

If you're in snow a lot or off pavement I'd recomend at least considering the Duratrak.

toyo AT suck I didn't get the mileage out of them. Their MT brand is another story, heavy loads, many miles on dirt and pavement. I have been happy with them over the AT and my MTs has already doubled the mileage I got out of the ATs.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-20-12 AT 04:16PM (MST)[p]I have to second the Goodyear Duratracs.
I can't say much good about the Toyo ATs either. Had a set on my last truck (Tacoma) and they wore out in less than 30,000 miles. I expected much more, especially on a light weight truck such as the Tacoma. After that set, I gave Duratracs a try, needless to say, I am running them again now on my full size truck. Great tire.
Search the reviews online, its tough to find much bad about them.

I haven't had great luck with Goodyear tires. I'm gonna give the Cooper ST Maxx All Terrain a whirl. mtmuley

I second the Nitto Mud Terrain tires. I pull a gooseneck horse trailer alot and they have been fantastic. 18" 10 ply. Cheaper than the Toyos, but same tire tread and great rubber quality.

Well STTM quotes:
You want good wearing Tires?

You talk to kilo!

He run a set 97,000 miles and they still had 35% Tread left!

But remember,you gotta rotate them every 500 miles!

Right kilo?

PART OF YOUR POST IS RIGHT BUT THE REST IS PURE POOP.

YES ON THE 97,000 MILES ON A PAIR OF GOODYEARS, BUT THEY WERE THE OLDER VERSION OF A/T's and they had maybe 5% of the tread left. And I rotated them every month or 3,000 miles which ever came first. Goodyear Tires are not the same anymore but have seen "high marks" for the new Duratrac's like mentioned above.
The 97K was over 10 years ago too and mostly highway mileage going to work and back home.....120 miles everyday.

Nice try dickweed...............LOL

Brian
http://i25.tinypic.com/fxbjgy.jpg[/IMG]

Easy kilo!

I screwed up on the 35% tread left!

5% left,my bad!

You coulda easily run them over 100K with 5% left!:D

Hey D13er, A set of those ST maxx tires are going om my truck in October before Montana's hunting season starts. What do you think of them so far? Thanks, mtmuley

Don't have any experience with Coopers, but if you are only getting 21K on a set they can't be all that great. Just sayin.

from the "Heatland of Wyoming"

Best couple of sets of tires i've ever come across for all around use on both....

Manufacturer: Dean

Make: Wildcat radial A/T

41000 miles never rotated that i can remember F250 superduty V10

Make: SXT mud terrain

39000 miles few rotations, great all around traction on any surface

littlebeaver.jpg

I like the NItto Terra Grapplers.

I bought BFG AT's for a decade and would never go back. The Nittos are unbelievably quiet and comfortable compared to them without any noticeable difference in traction. They cost less and hold up as well, too. I tow heavy trailers a lot (at least 10 times a month) and am about to replace a set that have 46,000 miles on them that have around 15% tread left.

Cory

bfg km2 all the way for me I tow every day up to 15000 # second set first was 60k this set is at 35 k and close to half gone!!!!

>16" Buckshots...... Terry

Buckshots used to be one of my Favorites!

They've changed the Rubber in the Tire & now they crack before you can wear them out!

Sad!

MAXXIS ought to have their Asses kicked!

Are tires priced mostly based on size? I've looked at Cooper, BFG, Toyo, Nitto, and Goodyear. All of them are priced within $20 of each other for the size I need.

based on size,brand and purpose of tire. i dont know how some people afford 44 inch super swampers when they run 400-700 per tire..

I just stumbled across a set of Gateway buckshots. I had never heard of them before yesterday. I figured for $40 bucks a piece I couldn't go to wrong. They have a little over a half inch of tread left on them. They are a little weather cracked. Is there anyway to recondition them?

>I just stumbled across a set
>of Gateway buckshots. I
>had never heard of them
>before yesterday. I figured
>for $40 bucks a piece
>I couldn't go to wrong.
> They have a little
>over a half inch of
>tread left on them.
>They are a little weather
>cracked. Is there anyway
>to recondition them?

I don't think so brag?

MAXXIS used to be one of my Favorite!

They can straighten their act up along with alot of other Tire Manufacturers or they can Kiss it Goodbye!

I talked to a fellow who worked a tire shop shop near Santa Rosa a while back. Said some old duffer brought in a GM truck for a rotation every 50 miles. Said he got two million miles off that set. Goodyear bought the tires off him with 75% tread still on to out in the Smithsonian.
4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Aug-12-12 AT 10:46PM (MST)[p]Coryb +1, Nitto Terra Grapplers. My Pard is running them on his duramax going on 4 years and he pulls lots of stuff.

I had them on my work truck, a loaded down 2500 GMC, and ran them 5 years but they were on there when i bought the truck so hard telling just how many more than the 40,K i put on them. They are not super aggressive but they were aggressive enough as i got out of some tuff places without ever having to put on the chains. Probably, the best tire for the money i ran on my rigs in the last 20 years or so.

I'm running Nitto Trail grapplers now. New this past winter, they look to be barely wearing and with about 8K on them, about time i get them rotated. These are way aggressive and i get tons of compliments on their looks but they have no or very little road noise, a nice surprise as i expected more. These are 285 70R 16's. they are 10 ply and i got them, set of 4, for just over $1000. no tax and free shipping, off e-bay. With today's tire prices, the Nitto's seem like a very good value to me and i'd like to run some tires that were better.

They went up some since i bought mine.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-NEW-285-7...Parts_Accessories&hash=item45ef2ad4c0&vxp=mtr

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom