Let's See Your Huntin' Knives

Daxter

Very Active Member
My first hunt of the year starts in a couple weeks, and I got the old hunting knives out to make sure stuff was sharp and see what I am going to take with me this year. I really like old hunting knives and their history. My Dad has an Old Timer fixed blade that I hope to inherit someday. I remember him using it to cut the roast at Sunday dinner because it was always sharper than any of my Mom's kitchen knives. My father-in-law had an an old buck knife that had been sharpened so many times that the blade was only about a 1/4" thick, and it broke a couple years ago while he was working on a buck. Too bad.

My first knife was an old timer sharpfinger. I got it when I was about 10. I beat the crap out of it trying to cut everything from my jeans to barb wire fences. Needless to say the edge needs some work, but I still have it around. Maybe I will give it to my oldest boy in a couple years?
sharpfinger.jpg

I bought a Cold Steel master hunter in high school and used it to gut and skin quite a few deer, elk, and antelope. I like Cold Steel knives for edge retention, but they are a bugger to resharpen if you let them get dull. I just had mine resharpened by the factory so it is good to go again.
masterhunter.jpg

I like carrying this little lightweight gerber magnum lst jr. in my pocket, and more than once it has been the only knife on me for field dressing.
magnumlstjr.jpg

I like this kershaw Alaskan blade trader. I am not such a fan of the guthook, but I really like the knife and saw blade combo so I don't have to carry a separate saw. The steel is soft, but it is really easy to put and keep and edge on it if you use a steel a little while you are working with it.
alaskantrader.jpg

This is an old school buck knife I bought in remembrance of the one my father in law had. I haven't used it yet, but the day will come.
buck.jpg

A little fancy for me, but I saw some of these Knives of Alaska knives and was so impressed I picked up a caper. Haven't used it yet either. I am hoping I will have need for it this year.
kinvesofalaska.jpg

Let's see your hunting knives. Old or new, cheap or expensive I would love to see what you carry and hear your knife stories.

Dax

LAST EDITED ON Sep-19-09 AT 11:26AM (MST)[p]My uncle made this one for me. The handle is ironwood, and the blade is Damascus steel. The balance is perfect. The Damascus steel requires some special care, but it's worth it.
ed_knife.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Sep-19-09 AT 11:35AM (MST)[p]Here is my new one made by MonsterMuley member RELH....I know that a few others have had them made too to their choices.

Brian

4ab514865f4ad199.jpg

Another view of his excellent work including the shealth.

4ab5160166c54fef.jpg

Here's a knife I had a guy I work with make me. I had it made fully intending it to be used, but now that it is done its too purdy to mess up. it too is made of s30v.
DSC_0217.jpg

DSC_0226.jpg

DSC_0239.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Sep-19-09 AT 10:16PM (MST)[p]Do you guys actually USE those customs?...

Here's what I've been using for the past year or so, and IMHO, is the best thing to come along since sliced bread!

knife.gif

I will use mine this year. The guy that made them said they are made to be used and not put up on a shelf.

I've had this knife for many years. It's a Remington Big Game. It's not all that comfortable to use, but it works fine and keeps a good edge. The little "steel" that comes with it works great. A few swipes once in awhile keeps it very sharp. It's skinned caribou, mule deer, antelope, porcupines, blacktails, and a ton of salami.

Eel

4ab63389607535e3.jpg

Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety.

+1 Havalon with the replacement blades.
I keep a super small multitool in the sheath to help change blades as well as general use. I get a knife sharp enought to shave but the sharplness of the replacement blades is unreal, no way can I get one that sharp.
flyingbrass
cold dead hands
NRA Life Member

I bought a Havalon this year too. Can't wait to use it. I also have an old Buck Knife and a Schrade that has skinned dozens of deer.

I use a standard fold in Utility Knife. Once Q'd a Moose under water in AK and a 340 bull elk in Utah a week after. I'll never go back to a non-replaceable blade. just slide in a new blade and your done in 1/2 the time.

>LAST EDITED ON Sep-19-09
>AT 10:16?PM (MST)

>
>Do you guys actually USE those
>customs?...
>
>Here's what I've been using for
>the past year or so,
>and IMHO, is the best
>thing to come along since
>sliced bread!
>
>
knife.gif

you'll cut your leg off with one of those!

4a7d1f93337c7fd7.jpg

Archery is a year round commitment!!

Wow, those are some beautiful knives. I've never had a custom knife made but a nieghbor of mine made a lot of beautiful custom knives.

Daxter, my dad gave me a Buck knife just like yours back in 1978, and I still use it, along with a new one I bought.

Yelum

Geez those custom knives are impressive! I don't know if I would dare use it if I had one like that. I sure like the old beaters with some history. I hope to pass some of my knives down to my boys some day. Thanks for sharing the pics.

Dax

great knives fellas!

here is one I have handy for a photo, I made this one for a patch knife but it is a bit big for that, so I'll finish it off and use it for a field knife. it's almost done, a bit more blade work and I'll call it good to go.

I love those Cold Steel Master Hunters, I have a couple and am going to try removing the handle coating and replacing with an antler handle, need a sheath too, I don't like the plastic ones they come with, they work great but I dont like the look of them.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-28-09 AT 11:07AM (MST)[p]I'm also using these razor sharp little buggers with the replaceable blades! We skinned a couple of antelope with them last week and WOW! You definitely need to be careful with them! I think the little suckers are sharper than a razor blade! The blades are dirt cheap too at about $.38 a peice. I actually have a few extra knives in both black and stainless steel so if anyone is interested in picking one up just shoot me an e-mail for the details.

stainless.gif

black.gif

NvrEnuf

I've been sold on these longer locking blade Swiss Army knives for many years now. It's the Fireman model i believe particularly handy. They are fairly easy to keep sharp yet hold a edge. The saw blade will cut a deer through the backbone if needed or a 2X4 in half in seconds. Can't recall how many times i've been saved by having this knife in my pocket. It's not the big fat guy you see sometimes but it's no small little guy either. Fantastic knife to carry at all times, IMO, including any kind of hunt.

4ac10c661d9b43bc.jpg

Joey

I started using the Piranha knive a number years ago and love them. Ya, they are sharp as heck and you got to be careful. I use them for most everything.

I too am big on the Havalon knives, never have to worry about a dull blade. I do think that some of those custom knives are unreal.

Thanks, CABugle

I use the Havalon too, but I got the orange one so I can find the dang thing after I set it down.

One must be very careful with them for sure! especially when capeing

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom