Leopold vs. Nikon

B

buck09

Just recently got a new gun and have been debating on a Leopold or a Nikon scope. I got a Weatherby 270 Vanguard short mag. I have always been a leopold guy, but have heard the Nikons are pretty nice. I am not looking to spend a ton. Anybody have any advise on a decent rifle scope for not a lot of dough. Will be used for dropping mule deer exclusively.

I have used both brands and my favorite is the Nikon Monarch in 3X9 power for my 25-06 deer-lope rifle. I can not tell the difference in clarity and brightness between the two brands, but I can see the big price difference over the leupold when comparing the monarch with the VX-3 Leupold.
I have used Nikons for over 20 years now and have never had a single problem with them. I do not think Nikon no longer makes the 3X9 power in the Monarch series. It is now a 2.5X10 power. Tells you how long I have had mine 3X9.

I have used the 3X9 Monarch enough on my 25-06 that I can use the duplex wires as a range finder on mule deer. I sight in at 3 inches high at 100 yards that allows me to use a dead on hold out to 350 yards and the bullet will hit in the heart-lung kill zone on a deer.

At 9 power the distance between the heavy cross wires will bracket a mule deer chest from backbone to brisket at 400 yards. If the chest is larger then the vertical bracket, he is closer then 400 yards and if smaller he is farther.

Where the lower heavy vertical cross wire meets the thinner wire is a dead on hold for 400 yards at 9 power. I have used this to take 5-7 animals from 400 to 600 yards with one shot kills.

If you want to save money, go with the Nikon Monarch. Both brands are great scopes and you can not go wrong with either brand.

Some leupold scope users will tell you that leupold is excellant if you have problems and need your scope repaired under warranty. I can attest to that as my father-in-law had to send two scopes back to them that shot loose on his Weatherby magnums. I have never had to use Nikon for any warranty repair and can not vouch for them one way or the other.

RELH

RELH pretty much hit it on the head for me. Have also used both scopes for a while. Don't think you could ever go wrong with the Nikon for the price you seem to want to pay. It's a very clear, solid scope, especially for the price. Good luck in you endeavors.

+1 on the Nikon. I have a 2.5-10 and it is every bit as clear or clearer than my Leoupold, and maybe even a little brighter. You wont go wrong by buying the Nikon. Also i have a 4200 Elite by bushnell that is amazing how bright and clear it is, check that one out also, i think its a 4.5-14 power

Nikon! But i'm biased, I like having stuff perform flawless all of the time, Had nothing but trash from leupold. I have a 4.5-14 Nikon Buckmasters on my 300 and love it. I have a 3x9 buckmasters on my 270. I have a 6-18 buckmasters on my 22-250. And a pair of 12x50 binos that have taken alot of abuse and still work great!

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

I'll vote for the Lepould after owning a Monarch 3-9x40 for years (also a Nikon Omega on my muzzy) I just bought a 2.5-8x36 VX3 for a 375 H&H. I compared them the other day side by side and the optical quality on the VX3 is heads and shoulders better. That Nikon is probably 6-7 years old but has been taken care of and I cannot detect any scratches on the lens's.

I don't know if there has been degredation on it or not as I certainly thought that it was nice before but now there is no comparison.

Anyways, thats my taking looking side by side right now.

Bill in MI

LAST EDITED ON Jul-10-10 AT 07:40AM (MST)[p]That is a tough question, I have 2 leopolds on rifles right now and they are fantastic. I can't think of one complaint with either, both are 3x9x40 vx-ii. One of the scopes I am using I found, I found a rifle that had been lying on the ground in the mountains for about a year. It was under a ton of snow. I restored the rifle and had to replace the barrel. However the leopold was not foggy at all. It was scratched a little but all I did was clean it off and put it on another rifle. I used that scope last year and harvested my best elk yet. I love leopold rifle scopes and would not hesitate to buy another.

I have considered trying one of the new vortex scopes, I bought a skyline spotting scope this year and I like the quality. You have a ton of choises in your price range, I say go look through all of them and see which works best for you. Then look around for a good deal on the one you like.
Good luck, let us know what you choose.

That John Denver is full of $#!t man

Hmm........Let's see.

Made in America.
Instant warranty service..regardless of problem.
Hunter dedicated.
Supporters of:
NRA.
Youth Shooting Sports
RMEF
Mule Deer Foundation
Safari Club International
.........and about 50 other American based shooting,
hunting, wildlife and outdoor organizations.

Even if quality was close...and to me, it ain't....I know who gets my money!

We have given America away, economically, and even if it only makes "a fart in the wind" kind of difference, I choose to do business with one of a tiny handful of American companies who actually fight for and support my 2nd Ammendment rights and hunting freedoms.

No arguement, if you took away everything that I own that was imported, that I use to hunt, shoot, fish and recreate, I couldn't leave my yard. In my choice of optics and in my choice of current rifle manufacturers, I refuse to buy imported.

And yes...I am fully aware that the Oregon based company has a line of imported optics as well.

Do what works best for you.

Leopold makes the Redfield revolution scopes. They are very clear and priced right. I just bought a 2x7 for my double 30-06

>Hmm........Let's see.
>
> Made in America.
> Instant warranty service..regardless of problem.
>
> Hunter dedicated.
> Supporters of:
> NRA.
> Youth Shooting Sports
>
> RMEF
> Mule Deer Foundation
>
> Safari Club International
>
> .........and about 50
>other American based shooting,
> hunting, wildlife and
>outdoor organizations.
>
> Even if quality was close...and
>to me, it ain't....I know
>who gets my money!
>
>We have given America away, economically,
>and even if it only
>makes "a fart in the
>wind" kind of difference, I
>choose to do business with
>one of a tiny handful
>of American companies who actually
>fight for and support my
>2nd Ammendment rights and hunting
>freedoms.
>
>No arguement, if you took away
>everything that I own that
>was imported, that I use
>to hunt, shoot, fish and
>recreate, I couldn't leave my
>yard. In my choice of
>optics and in my choice
>of current rifle manufacturers, I
>refuse to buy imported.
>
>And yes...I am fully aware that
>the Oregon based company has
>a line of imported optics
>as well.
>
>Do what works best for you.
>

My thoughts exactly.

"Hunt when you can - You're gonna' run out of health before you run out of money!"

I Live in Oregon and own 7 Leupold scopes and think they are probably the best scopes made. Even better than the Swaro's Leica and Zeiss in every catagory except these ultra expensive brands do have a little better glass. I can't say anything bad about the Nikon's as I own two of them and are great so far. I do far prefer the Boone & Crockett reticle over the BDC.

I am bias to Nikon as well and agree with the positives that have been said. However, another brand has recently come into my life that has left me torn, and that is Vortex. Absolutely, love the brand. Just as good as Nikon and I am going to say they are better. Comparable in price.

"Half of being smart, is knowing what you're dumb about."

Thanks for all the input. Some pretty detailed responses. I currently have a Leopold VX-2 on my Winchester 30-06 and am happy with it. After hearing your responses and doing some research it seems to me that the Nikon Monarch is comparable to the Leopold VX-3 but at the price of the VX-2. I am looking to spend no more than $300 and can go either way. Looking at the Buckmaster Nikon for the money.

My take is as long as the target can be hit, it really doesn't matter how cool your scope is. I killed my last 4 mule deer with a piece of junk Bushnell with a phony range adjustment on the top that would adjust the sights up or down to a specific yardage, that I got for free. It finally took a crap last year which is when I got my leopold for a bargain as well. Got my elk with it last year.

I don't have any tags this year so I am not in a big hurry, but am excited to try my new gun out, not that I really needed it, but who can pass up a raffle drawing prize.

I have Leopold binoculars and a Nikon spotting scope, so I guess I might as well go for the Nikon and even things up with two of each. Thanks again, and if anybody has any other suggestions feel free to let me know.

I just goy a VX-II for my kids 7mm-08 for $299...good glass, yet if it gets dropped it's not the end of the world.

Well.....I now see your problem!

Your "LEOPOLD" optics must be some knock off junk you got at a yard sale.

If you actually have some Leupold optics, (which I doubt, otherwise you would quit spelling it wrong), produced by "LEUPOLD-STEVENS", you could see the difference!

The name is pronounced "LEW-POLD"...not "LEO-POLD" Have fun with your Nikonics.

I don't have any Nikon scopes, and never will. The only Nikon optic I have ever owned was a rangefinder, and the crap I went through about a warranty issue sealed the "NO nikon Optics Ever" for me deal. My Leupold stuff has been top notch. Never a warranty issue, and I had a scope worked on that was done free of charge regardless of the damage being my fault. mtmuley

Loop-Holds are JUNK!
I didn't know it until stinkbug told me so!

I love not acting my age,
Damn I love my NASCAR race,
And Hell yes I love my Truck!

Mtmuley;

You are right about leupold having a good warranty. Along with that good warranty is a hefty price tag over Nikon and a few other brands. Have you figured out that you are paying up front for that no question asked warranty.
"Guntest Magazine" did a very good detailed examination of about 10 different scopes that were top of the line for the maker. They rated the Nikon Monarch overall superior to the Leupold. So for that great warranty you get from Leupold is costing you up front about 150 bucks.

The two German brands came in #1 & #2 in the tests, I do not think we need to mentioned just how much they cost over the Nikon or even Leupold.

Do not get me wrong, I do feel that both Nikon and Leupold put out a great scope, but I also know that Leupold's great warranty is not a freebie.

Based on what I have personal knowledge about complaints over repairs having to be made, if we could get a honest accurate tally from Nikon and Leupold. I am willing to bet that Leupold has far more scopes turned in for that warrany repair then Nikon does. It still is a good scope, and bargain if you do not mind paying for that warranty up front with the higher price they charge.

RELH

Well RELH,
I'm not knocking Nikon,
But,even if the Loop-Hold costs a little more,how you gonna beat a lifetime warranty?
I'm not talking a limited lifetime warranty,I'm talkin a lifetime warranty that the Company does & will stand behind,just sayin,99% of warranties anymore are JUNK,not Loop-Holds though,their Warranty is the best on earth,it's their scopes that are JUNK,stinkbug told me so!}>}>}>}>}>

RE: Leupold vs. Nikon

Excuse my spelling. Sorry Nickman. I do have a real loophold. I was just wanting some opinions on the Nikon scope since I have never owned one and have heard good things lately. My family has a long line of Leupold usage and maybe someday we will make it up to par with you. Until then, I will continue hunting for the love of it, leupold, nikon, bushnell, or whatever kind of scope I end up with. Probably try a Nikon, that is pronounced "Ny" "Con" right? And if I did get a knock off brand at a yard sale, it seems to work just great. Thanks for the spelling lesson, Oh and by the way is it nevAda or nevAHda? I take you for a NevAHda guy.

Bess;

Leupold VX-3, 3.5X10 power. 40MM, matte finish--$ 480.00

Nikon Monarch, 2.5X10 power,42MM, matte finish--$ 390.00
Both priced at same sporting good store-Cabela's.

You have just payed $ 90.00 up front for that extended
warranty. You have not payed 90 bucks for a better scope!!

If buying a extended warranty is important, pay the higher price and get the Leupold.

If saving 90 bucks is more important, buy the Nikon and use the
savings for a good set of rings and mounts with some change left over.

From what I know, Nikon will not warranty abuse of their product. has to be a defect or workmanship defect when making the scope.

Leupold will honor abuse most of the times, but you are paying for that feature by paying the higher price. Nothing is free. If Leupold would drop their scope price to that of a Nikon and offered a extended warranty for 90 bucks, would you still buy it?

RELH

Well,
Heres the deal RELH,
In 1980 my F'n BUSHNELL on my 7 Mag Fogged up in bad weather on an Elk hunt(right in the middle of season!)
Had to leave the Mountain,go to town & get a Leupold.
I used/beat that scope for 25 years.
Dropped the gun a few times hard enough I figured I knocked the scope off,she had some gouges in her.
On year 25 my wife squeezes off on a Bull Elk,my son says:Dad,Dad,the scope just flew off the gun(he was young)I glanced over real quick & see the scope is still on the gun,after the comotion settles,jr says Dad,something flew off that scope,So I get to looking & sure enough,the front lense is MIA,we find it & when I got back home I ship it back to Leupold asking them if they could fix it?
A week & half later I get a Brand New Leupold in the mail.
I'd say whatever extra I paid for it,it was well worth it,but that's just me.

When that front lense piece came out it took threads & all,don't know if it was from the shock over the years of shooting it or what?
But I am glad my wife didn't have to make another shot with it,don't know how it would'of shot?

Get this,
I've had a few guys get pissed after them hearing the story and saying:They didn't 'owe' you a new scope!
That's right,all I asked for was them to repair my old scope but they sent me a new one.

RELH perhaps the cost savings you get from Nikon may be the labor cost that Foreign company is benefiting from. This is America and we all have a choice. For me, now more than ever before I will do whatever I can to support and American company that employs American people and contributes to the American economy. Especially one that supports hunters and the hunting industry. If they do not have a product I want or their product is far inferior to the foreign competition then at that point I go with the competition. But when the two are head to head I will support the American company. That's just me.

JR

Leupold for me. I had a Nikon Buckmaster 3X9 that fogged up (internal lenses) on me during an elk hunt one year. I had to send the scope back three different times that year because Nikon could not get it fixed right. After sending it back the third time I called Nikons repair shop and told them if they could not fix the scope to send me a new one. After some time and choice words I finely got my new scope back. Yes Nikon eventually took care of the issue but only after I got on them. The times I've sent my Leupold Binos in for repairs no questions asked and a fully functional repaired or new bino was sent back. To me that's worth the extra cache I paid up front for Leupold.

400bull

We have Leopold 4X12's on all our 300WBY Mag's. Leopold 3X9's on smaller calibers. Our group has found through the years comparing various scopes that both Leopold and Nikon are quality scopes for the money you spend.

It depends on how serious a hunter you really are? We found that the Leopold's gather more light in low light conditions and the recticle (cross hairs) turning golden enhancing the best sight picture in low light. We have spotted game at first light and defined antlers on game while others using less quality scopes can't even see the game yet. We have had hunters ask to look through our Leopolds to make sure we really were looking at game and not shining them on... since all they could see is black in their scopes until better light conditions.

You purchased a fine rifle. Since you went for the short mag. which doesn't pack the punch of the regular WBY's. With that rifle you can put any scope on it....If you put other than a top quality scope on a full caliber WBY the scope will not be able to take the shock of recoil/busted cross hairs/not stay at zero etc.

You get what you pay for these days...
FYI if you would have gone with the regular 7mm WBY or 300WBY and installed a top quality muzzel brake both those rifles will shoot like 30-06 recoils. My 75 year old Dad shot his 300WBY off the bench all day with the muzzel brake. Without a muzzel brake you couldn't shoot two shots with out flinching due to antisipated mule kick....

I'll still buy Leupold regardless if their higher price can be blamed on warranty. I feel they are a superior optic. And like I said, Nikon tried to screw me. ONCE. mtmuley

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom