leica geovid rangefinder binocs

LAST EDITED ON Aug-23-09 AT 06:56AM (MST)[p]The advantages are larger field of view (FOV) and slightly more eye relief with the 8x. It's easier to hold the 8x steady vs the 10x. And the exit pupil is larger on the 8x for better low light viewing. The disadvantage is obvious, less magnification. This is not quite as big of a deal with high quality optics as the resolution due to the clarity of the glass allows the user to see as much as a higher magnification, cheaper quality glass.

Personally I prefer 10x. My Geos are 10x and I have not felt handicapped by the slightly smaller FOV. I can see well past shooting light and holding them steady has not been a problem.

After drooling for over two years, I finally got super deal on a pair of 8x56 Geovid?s... I love them! With an exit pupil of 7mm, it delivers all the light these old eyes can use... It is super in the early morning and late evening... just when game is on the move. They weigh a bit more than the 42mm models, but I will gladly carry a few ounces more weight in order to have the performance of the 56mm lenses... NJS

I have the 10 x 42 ,its the biggest that i can hold steady. I wouldn't go any larger unless you are using a tripod. Clear , bright and love the range finder right there ready to use it when you need it .
For out west 10 power if you hunt back east 8 x are great.

Magnification is a personal choice... not a geographical law. With a quality glass, the difference between a 8x and a 10x is greatly reduced. If you like and can use a 10x go for it. But when you hike for a hour straight up hill, while carrying a full pack and your heart is pounding, then see a big buck or bull and get a shot of adrenaline... 8x glasses are easier to hold and use. NJS

thanks for the great responses...this is why MM is my favorite huntin website...hope everyone has a great hunt this year...happytohunt

I thought I would post my experience with Geovid's for anybody who is considering them.

I just bought Geovid BRF 10x42 to replace my Swarovski SLC 10x42. The built-in rangefinder is great and I have found far less eye strain than with my Swaro's (which wasn't much to begin with); but the Swaro's have better glass, and better clarity to the edge of the image. I feel the sharpest image on the Geovids is limited to the center.

Overall, I prefer the Geovids, but comparing just glass for glass, the Swaro's take the Gold.

Grizzly

For some reason, my eyes got more tired with the Swarovski's, but they have better clarity, especially near the edge of the FOV.

I asked my Optometrist about it today, he wasn't suprised due to the manufacturing constraints of each company. (He is very familiar with both.)

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom