Leica Duovids

U

ultramag45

Looking at a set of Leica 10-15 Duovids, anybody use them in the highcountry on a tripod. I was told that they dont work well on 15 unless you have alot of light , or should I go with the 12x50 ultravids...

LAST EDITED ON Feb-06-09 AT 11:44PM (MST)[p]I think you would be better off with a quality 8 or 10x42 and a quality small spotter. You can only carry one bino and the 50mm binos tend to be too heavy and large for an all around hunting bino. The 12x Leica would have limited use for anything but long range glassing. The Leica 50 mm duovid just too big- better to spend the weight on a spotter.

You could go with a premium 10x42 and a small spotter like the Nikon 50mm ED or another great option would be a premium 8x32 with a slightly larger spotter like the Pentax PF65 ED2 or Zeiss, Leica, Swarovski 62 or 65 mm spotters. Or the 10x42 and a 65 mm spotter (my combo).

If your not concearned with a spotter my bad, sorry for wasting your time.

If you are looking for a set of big eye binos pass on the Duovid or 12x50 Ultravid and go up to the 15x56 class.

I have been using a pair of 10+15 Duovids on a tripod for the last few years for hunting Coues. Did some side-by-side testing against the Swaro 15s, both on tripods. The resolution was indistinguishably equal. I prefereed the color tint of th eLeiccas, seemed more natural. With the 50 vs 56 mm objectives, the Swaros had about 3 minutes more viewing time as dusk passed. If 3 minutes makes a diff when you use them to look 1/2+ mile away the last 3 minutes of light, you move faster than me. With the Duovids, I do like not having to carry two pairs of binos and a few extra pounds of optics.

RR

I have had a pair of the 8-12x Duovids and love them. I use them on a tripod and they take the place of two binoculars. Leica builds top quality products both optically and mechanically... I'm sure the 10-15x is no different.
MtBuckHunter

I have the 10x15 and love them. You won't be dissapointed. I love scanning the mountain side on 10 power then if I see something of interest or when I get down to picking stuff apart you just quickly adjust to 15 power. With a tripod and on 15 power you will be a amazed at what you can see. The field of view at that magnification blows away any spotting scope in fact I sold mine because I don't ever use it.They do feel a little heavy at first if you are used to a lighter bino but you get used to it. A few things I found helpful is buy yourself a good bino harness this will keep the strain off your neck. Then buy the large bino sheild. This will keep your binos tucked up tight against you while you move around through the steep country. Also the Bino sheild has a little pocket I put my tripod adapter in. This system has worked great for me deer and elk hunting. The hardest part about having them is actually getting to use them when hunting with friends and family. Everybody keeps saying" Let me see your binos for a second I think I see something but I am not sure." Other than that the only time those Binos hurt you is when you slide the visa card.

I've been using the 10+15 for 3 years and absolutely love them. For quick glassing 10x is great and for tripod 15x is indispensable. I also carry a 20-60 swarovski spotting scope.

I had the 10-15*50 and loved them. They are very clear and bright on both levels. I also loved scanning on 10 then zoom in for detail. I wish I would have never sold them cuz now I cant afford them.

I have both the 8-12x42s and the 10-15x50s and have used them for several years off a tripod. I like them very much. Picture quality and clarity is first rate. What I would really like, to be perfectly honest, is an 8-15x56. If that were available I would probably still be using them as my primary set up. The only negatives I experienced with the Duovids was the weight and losing a little FOV, which is especially important for Coues deer.

Ultimately I switched to the Swaros because I really wanted a smaller 6 or 8x to wear around my neck when I was moving coupled with the 15s, a doubler and a tripod in my pack.

I still think that the Leica optics are a touch better than the Swaros, only a touch, but the doubler capability and the Swaro warranty and customer service make it a better all around choice for me. So far, it is working out very well.

What I would like to see now from the market is a high quality, medium or compact size 6 or 8 power neck glass with a laser rangefinder in them. Something like the Swaro LG30 but in a bino version.

Wade
www.HardcoreOutdoor.com

LAST EDITED ON Feb-24-09 AT 07:52PM (MST)[p]I also own the 10-15 Duovids.
I love using them on a tripod and am amazed at how often I glass at 10 power for "quick scans" of the terrain.

I would buy them again. That is if the lifetime warranty is still around. I heard they were changing it?

Give Doug at Cameraland a call. Best deal around.

4678aec03a21ae00.jpg

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom