Leg Cramps.

fatrooster

Long Time Member
For the past few years I've had problems with leg cramps. Anytime I did any hiking I was sure to have cramps in the middle of the night. I looked it upn the internet and learned that dehydration was the culprit and drinking more water was the answer. To make a long story short and after some experimentation I found that 2 glasses of water before going to bed solves my problems. Sure, I get up to pee more often but its way better than the excrutiating pain from leg cramps. Try it out, fatrooster.

I use to have the same problem. Solution was to drink a lot of water right before bedtime.... and always wear Depends? just in case you don't wake up.

One thing besides dehydration itself that causes that is loss of potassium in the muscles. Bananas and potatoes are good sources of potassium, while sports drinks generally aren't.

I should also have mentioned that drinking the water during your hiking and continuing to do so after will probably be better than a bunch at betime to try and catch up on what you lost druing the day. I have found those Camelbak bladders to be great because I was not getting enough moisture out on my hunts in Wyoming until I started using them.

Your low on potassium ( bananas) and drink drinks that have electrolytes in them, Smart water, Gatorade, Pedialite. Water is fine but you need electrolites after working out or hiking. I always take Gatorade with me hunting. It has more sugar then I normally like but it also gives me energy and electrolites so I don't cramp.

AND.....get some amino acids into your system they are a must must must during and after a strenuous workout, gives you soooo much more energy and helps bring vital nutrients to your muscle tissue. Glutamine, BCAA's all good stuff!

Sit tall in the saddle, hold your head up high, keep your eyes fixed to where the trail meets the sky...

We use emergen-c packets in water before bed. They work great and are easy to pack. Joe

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom