Leftover Tags

after putting my wife in for the "40" tags and having a conversation with the customer service rep at cabellas. i almost wonder if the f&g "baits" us with a couple "extra" quality tags for more $$$$. can't imagine anyone getting a 40 bull, buck, or goat tag and not picking it up. lady said probably 40 people put in for the same hunt #'s that day in the one location.hmmmm???

you know f&g loves it when there are great tags that end up on the 2nd go around. lots of extra revenue. I have no doubts that they are legit and there are plenty of idiots that forget to pick up their tags because they don't have enough sense to check up on dead line dates.

I would of been one of those idiots had I not happened to remember my wife and I drew while at walmart the day after they came out online. I got so busy after that once I realized it was the 2nd week in August my heart dropped till I remembered I had already picked my tags up what a relief that was. Anyways happy trails to all this fall :)

>I have no doubts
>that they are legit and
>there are plenty of idiots
>that forget to pick up
>their tags because they don't
>have enough sense to check
>up on dead line dates.
>

+1. Not everyone is into hunting as much as we all are on here, so plenty of people forget to pick up their tags, even for the sought after trophy ones. The F&G conspiracy of them being out to get us is getting old.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-12-13 AT 09:01PM (MST)[p]I nearly forgot this year.

Hell, I wouldn't fault them if they did offer a couple tags in the second round.

Last year, they made over $13,670 just in application fees alone on the unit 40 deer tags. Not to mention the "convenience fee" they charge online and the 3% they make on anything not cash.

The second chance draw sure beats standing in line trying to be one of the first ones there to get a tag like it used to be.

I give credit to the person who came up with the idea of the second drawing. Hope they got a merit increase for their idea.

I have to say, it's nice that even when I don't draw for a trophy species tag that I can put in for a 2nd tag and get dang close to the odds I would be getting in most other states on that draw...

Not suprisingly, in the 5+ years of this system, I have not drawn a tag or known anybody who did...

I did pretty good in last years 2nd drawing. After not drawing on any of the deer, elk and pronhorn tags in the first drawing, I managed a cow tag and an extra doe tag in the 2nd draw.

I'm not holding my breath but I agree the second chance is a pretty good deal.

if you don't put in for any draws, you know what your chances are going to be. I put in for the late buck in 32a, two years ago. didn't draw. went to put in for a cow tag on the 2nd draw and noticed 1 left over buck tag in 32a. said what the hell and put in for it. i actually drew it. i'm not known for drawing tons of tags and had no expectations of drawing this one. but, i knew what my odds would be if i didn't put in.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-13-13 AT 07:20PM (MST)[p]>I did pretty good in last
>years 2nd drawing. After
>not drawing on any of
>the deer, elk and pronhorn
>tags in the first drawing,
>I managed a cow tag
>and an extra doe tag
>in the 2nd draw.
>
>I'm not holding my breath but
>I agree the second chance
>is a pretty good deal.
>

Yeah it's a great deal for the department and all the extra revenue. The odds are very long.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-13-13 AT 08:08PM (MST)[p]I try to get as much mileage as I can out of each drawing I am eligible for.....even if I can't actually draw a tag, I can sure dream up a good plan of attack before I get that dreaded unsuccessful notice!!!

So here is a question for everyone, I drew an extra whitetail doe tag for up north. I see there are some more left over, does anyone know if I would be able to draw another extra doe tag, seeing how they are "extra", or would I have to pay out of state price? It makes it awfully nice to come home with some extra whitetail snacks. I am guessing this will be a question for F&G. Good luck everyone.

You can only get 1 "extra" tag per year. You can still buy a non-res. over the counter tag and shoot another deer. I believe if you tried to get another one the computer will not allow you to even apply.

I drew a 32 buck tag a few years ago and since I was hunting there anyway in november, I put in for and drew a cow tag. Not a real hard tag to draw, but it was fun having that opportunity. Filled that tag with a calf. Man was that some good meat and and easier pack.

Anyway, I love the second tag the way my wife loves the lottery, gives me something to look forward to and only costs me a few bucks, but I don't make plans on the hope of winning.

So I drew my cow tag in the primary drew. My question is can i legally draw an X zone cow tag since it is considered an xtra tag?

you can draw a regular controlled hunt and and "extra" controlled hunt. you cannot put in for and draw two "extra" tags. if you draw for example a regular cow tag and an "extra" cow tag, i believe you'd have to buy an out of state tag for a third elk. why you would need three elk, i don't know!!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom