leftover antelope tags in wyoming

happytohunt

anyone on this board have quality hunting experiences with leftover antelope tags...this might qualify as a dumb question but...thanks..happytohunt

I have personaly not had a leftover tag but have had freinds get them and have had good hunts the only problam I think is most left over tags have all or mostly private property and you will have a hard time finding somwhere to hunt unless you go out start nocking on doors or calling folks to see if you can get on there property and most will not let you hunt opening weekend as they will have family, freinds or paying hunters hunting at that time...

I did have a couple freinds draw in the redraw for muzz antelope tags and they said they had a ball but the quality was not really good but that was 4 or 5 years ago and the last couple years I think Wyomings antelope have gotten much better in most all there units

But I just wanted to know why are you wanting to know about the left over tags when the first application is not over???

UThunting
Clynt L Citte
Willard Ut

i might be wondering about leftover tags due to present moment vehicle woes coinciding with licence deadline cash flow...but that might change anyway ifn i decide to sell one rifle that was last years obsession because its seems tis best to keep hunting ...i am not whining i am just answering your question and by the way thanks for your response...happytohunt

happytohunt

Sorry to here your story I think most of us have been threw the same thing hopefully you will get in to the main draw if not good luck on the re-draws

UThunting
Clynt L Citte
Willard Ut

I think I'm right about this but all leftover permits turn into doe/fawn only.

thanks anyway...i scrambled and came up with the coin...applied for a preference pont with 64 first choice and 47 and 48 second and third choice...just to keep huntin... happytohunt

Happytohunt,

Good luck on the draw for 64. You picked some tough zones to draw, but if you get one, you'll have a great time. Since you applied for a tough draw, lets go over the leftover tag situation. If yo don't don't draw in the initial drawing, most of the easy access zones will have been filled to quota with some doe/fawn tags leftover. Most all of the remaining buck tags will be on the eastern 1/3rd of the state with either private or difficult public access areas. If you don't draw, contact cheyenne game and fish or the nearest regional office to the area you want to hunt that has left over tags. Thye will send you a list of the landowners address and phone numbers and hunt zone. Start that process immediatly, cuz it takes a littl work to get a cooperative rancher. Some will ask for a daily fee to trespass, other will want a set amount good for a week. Some of the ranchers won't let you on the property because they have elk hunters during the same time and they get more money to have them than antelope hunters. If you are unsuccesful on the leftover tag draw, they have "issue after" licenses. These are all the tags in the tate that were not filled in the first two drawigs and are available on a fist come-first serve basis. Almost every one will be on private land, but there are a lot available still. I had to do this once and hooked up with a great hunt in area 20 on the Gordon Ranch. He charged me by the day $50, with an initial trespass fee of $100. His name was Ray Tolman, and was very helpful and just a great guy with lot of animals on the property. The following year his price doubled, and that was 2001. As a wyoming resident antelope freak, that is the best info I can give. I hope it answers your questions and helps you this season. Good luck in the draw and the hunt!

Prarie Rocket

thanks prarie rocket for the helpful info...tracking down a tag is getting to be a pretty good hunt in itself eh...yep..each year we hunt the hunt...good luck to you also...happytohunt

WY will still have leftover Bucks tags after the initial draw. Many of the southeast units, usually has a few of them, just keep in mind that almost all of that area is private land.

McKinney aka Hiker
Proverbs 3:5-6

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom