Leather Tanning Ideas

P

Prism

I've got a cow tag to fill. I've never done much with hides, but I'd like to try something out this year.

There's a company out if MN that advertises with the MDF that has some cool stuff. I think they're called Trophy Hides.

Is there anyone in Utah that can tan and make gloves, bags, etc?

Any cool things you've done with your hides. Seems like a waste to just toss the hides.

Have you priced the cost of tanning a hide, might make you reconsider about tossing the hide or learn how to tan it yourself.

RELH

Boots. Check out Russel for hunting shoes you can make with game hides. Loveless Custom Boots in OKC makes some beautiful cowboy boots. They made a pair out of an ostrich I shot in Africa. Maybe a pair of ladies shoes for your woman?

I've also seen gloves, belts, wallets, hat bands, knife sheaths, and rifle slings. I like the way you are thinking. There are some cool momentos you can make out of a hide. But, yes, tanning is expensive.

Whatever this person is using.

too%20much%20tan.png

Sorry I couldn't resist.

mod2.jpg

There is a tannery out in Grantsville that a lot of taxi's use. Prices are good. I used to get my hides tanned at Fox Valley when they were around. I have a few hair-on rugs (elk and deer) and some leather laying around from a few too. I have doe speedgoat and cow elk tags to fill before end of year too and plan to rug (hair-on) the goat.

Fox Valley used to make gloves. I'm sure you could find some place to turn the leather into gloves or something. I think some elk skin chaps would be cool!

I deal with the scouts a lot and have plans for awards plaques incorporating leather. My dad used to build some awesome cub scout graduation deals. He'd get some aspen limbs, lash a frame together, cut scaled down big game shape out of the leather and lash it inside the frame - like indians used to do to stretch and tan - and then he'd have my mom sew all the awards on the leather. I still have mine and treasure it. Couple ideas for ya.

I've wanted to tan a hide for years. Seems like a lot of tanning recipes call for chrome alum, but I've struggled to find where to buy the stuff. I've found a few places on line that sell large quantities of it. Brain tanning seem so labor intensive that it requires vacation time to do it right.

I just got on Cabellas last week and ordered deer tan and lutan. I'll try both and see which one I like better. It was $35 for both plus shipping. Hopefully the order will come today.

Maybe someone else can shed some more light on these products as I'm a neophyte. Otherwise I'll place another post after I've tried it.

i sell my hides to a taxdermist. its easy money. and plus all other people i know if they dont keep there hides i go skin the animal and sell that to.

i use to be big into tanning myself i would tan the raccons i caught trapping. it was hard work after all the fleshing and sitting in buckets of chemicals the hard part was working the hide to make it soft and plyable. it was a fun lesson to work but didnt take long to loose intrest in it.

if you know anyone who ties flies i have given small chunks of elk,goat and so on.

I am having a bear pillow made for my daughter from her first animal...she's 12. It's a suprise and should be done before Christmas.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom