Least Favorite Type of Post - Wyoming Bison

3Toes

Like most of you, I'm not fond of hunters that fail to scout or make the effort then come on the web and ask for help. I now find myself asking for help.

Today, I found out I will be going to Wyoming on a bison hunt. I leave in four days because of some previous scheduling issues that can't be changed. SO ---- if anyone can tell me what to expect from this hunt. I would appreciate it.

Local weather conditions would be great. Access points or whatever you are comfortable giving would be great. I'm talking to a couple outfitters because of the limited amount of time, but would like to to it on my own.

Sorry for asking, but I would appreciate any help that comes my why.

The tag is Area 2 bull.

Thanks

I had this tag last year and killed a nice bull, just shy of the books. I wished I would have hunted longer than 3 hours! I believe you will probably be dealing with some snow as far as the weather goes. There is a snow advisory right now in that part of the state. I would recomend hunting shadow mountain. That is where I killed my bull, and there is always bulls in there. If there isn't anything the first time you check, just check back later they move around a lot. Being able to hunt the elk refuge is a plus. I would also check the river that makes up the north boundary of the refuge. If I can give you one piece of advice it is to be patient and try to find the biggest bull you can because there are tons of big bulls out there. I hurried my hunt and ended up with a nice bull but should have hunted a little longer and looked for one of the many B&C bulls that are there. It isn't a difficult hunt, the hardest parts are finding buffalo off of Teton park and the chore that comes after you pull the trigger. If you have any other questions feel free to ask, I'm willing to help out any way I can.

Thanks WYO, From what I have found from looking on the maps it looks like mostly walk-in access, but not overly difficult terrain. Can you provide any information about access to the refuge. I have been there to look at the elk, but wasn't paying much attention. All I remember is meadows and willows. Not much for the animals to hide in. I'm also told that most of the cows are in the Teton Park this time of year, and the bulls are more available out of the park. Is this what you have found? Also how was the competition with other hunters. There are not a lot of permits, but the space seems to be limited. Thanks again,

To access the refuge you have to go to the east side of Jackson, through town and it will take you to a dirt road that provides access to the back of the refuge. You go down the street that the hospital is on if I remember (not sure of the street name). The dirt road will take across the refuge and after a ways you can turn right which will then take you to the base of a mountain and right at the base is a parking area where you can park and walk to the northeast along the refuge boundary. Theres not too many roads on the refuge so its pretty easy to find your way around. The bulls definately hang out off the park more than the cows do. They travel around a lot so you just gotta keep checking around. Another place to look is above the Teton Science school (i think thats what it's called). It's on the forrest service map and pretty easy to find. When I hunted I never encountered another hunter. Last year there were only around 25 bull tags and I think maybe a few more cow tags. A lot of people are probably filled out by now. I was able to hunt from Sept. 1 to Nov. 31, but I think they are doing it a little differently this year and are harvesting more buffalo. Don't be afraid to ask the game wardens when you go pick up your tag where to find some buffalo they are usually eager to help out.

Can't help you with your hunt but this forum is to be a helpful tool to hunters. No one expects to get info on anyones honey holes. One can't be expected to draw a tag in a state that is 2 days away and plan on only scouting for a couple of days. A couple of days wouldn't cut it anyway. I always ask for help. If some MM members don't want to offer info then they don't have to. We are here to help eachother. Good luck on your hunt!

Steve

I second the area above the science school. I always see some in ditch ck either walking the road or the gulches, I named one "billy the bison" up in the south fork a few yrs back. He wasa big solo bull who was certainly not scared of me and my bow. His tail went straight up and I was the one scampering for cover!!

Thanks for the help. I have located all of the areas on the map. I have also received a lot of good information from the Wyoming G&F. I'm a planner and worry about everything, maybe this short notice stuff will help me relax. I leave late Thursday. Thanks

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom