Leaking Radiator Fix?

A

AyA

Well I was up on the mountain this last weekend & my radiator in my pickup started leaking at a pretty good rate.
I'd never had a problem like this before.
Didn't know what to do?
Then I got thinking,I had a few eggs left,decided to crack 8 eggs open & pour them down the hatch.
Well it sealed it up,but maybe I should of only used 2 eggs,seems it sealed off all the tubes in the radiator & now my truck gets so hot I can't drive it.
Any suggestions?

Nice!
Eggs in the Radiator & french fry grease in the fuel tank huh?
Got any bacon the truck could cook?

Where ever you are getting you advice from STOP!!!

You poor guy you might as well chalk that truck up as a loss.:(

Try putting a half order of onion rings in there. The onion and batter mix will partially dissolve to make a iron hard resin that will seek out any compromised areas and seal them up tight. Trust me! J/k

Joey

I love egg drop soup. However, you sir are are not the sharpest axe in the shed. lol
4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

I love egg drop soup. However, you sir are are not the sharpest axe in the shed. lol

LOL!

NO GUTS, NO STORY!!

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

First of all, to remove the eggs from your radiator tubes I would try the following.

Since eggs contain a lot of cholesterol I would take a handful of Lipitor pills and put them in the radiator. The way that stuff removes cholesterol from your blood it should fix your truck right up.

Secondly, for the future, if you want to go the egg route I would recommend "Egg Beaters" egg substitute. A frozen waffle might also be a nice addition. I would also say you likely put the eggs in too fast. They should have been wisked in a mixing bowl and slowly added so as to not poach before they went into solution.

But the absolute best leaking radiator fix I have found is a double handful of crumbled horse manure. The small particles will usually plug the most stubborn leaks.

NVB has it right....2to3 road apples are the perfect stopleak..

great post/pic, thanks for sharing

JB
497fc2397b939f19.jpg

"NVB has it right....2to3 road apples are the perfect stopleak.."

Sounds like he might be able to get that from his Tijuana upholstery job...... Terry

AyA.........welcome to the "Monster Mulies/Ann Landers' Advice Center".

You pretty much waltzed in here backwards and butt naked........just asking for some humorous responses to your self inflicted error.

Don't let us get you down, there have been some humongous blunders posted on this site; you ain't first, nor will you be last. We have a whole new season coming up.

Simple fact is, you now have serious issues.

I doubt that anything will empty the egg from the water jackets in the engine block or heads, you may be facing an overhaul. The radiator will have to be replaced, as it is cheaper than having the old one serviced.

Better find a good engine mech and ask him.

drano1241610717.jpg

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

AyA, I work on school busses and we use a product called Alumaseal it works fair. It is not a forever fix, but will get you through a pinch. Our busses radiators all will leak at one point or another. Some radiators take it better than others. If it is a hole in the tank you can see you can always try a screw with silicone!:) Trust me more than one broken bus has been brought home that way!

i agree, have to buy a new one.i always carry black pepper,had a few old trucks that use to leak.works great on leaks.tony

Aya, take the radiator to a radiator shop and have it "rodded out." This physical removal of the material that is stopping the flow of coolant will make for a properly functioning radiator.

Aya,
In my younger years I worked as a radiator mechanic for one of the most honest people I have ever known. He had a very successful business built on a solid reputation. He did not allow his mechanics to take shortcuts and preferred that his mechanics were brought up by his senior mechanics. Any how to answer your question: You have different options depending on the type of radiator you have. If your radiator is of traditional design, copper and brass and your header plates are in good shape a simple "rod and repair" will do the job. If your header plates are in poor shape but your core is in good condition an "overhaul" is required. Inspect your header plate (the part of the radiator at both ends that the tubes are soldered to), if there is white, yellow or green deposits formed around a tube it means there is a leak there. Also if you can see stains or deposits on the tubes themselves your core may be shot. A reputable shop will boil and flush your radiator and pressure test it prior to doing any work to it. A good mechanic can usually tell you if your core is rotted or if your radiator will require an overhaul or a rod and repair. There are a lot of hack shops out there that will do a half ass job such as brushing in a tank(a method to repair a leak where the tank and header plate are joined), crimping tubes, and other shortcuts that are a temporary fix. Avoid them. Have the shop explain how they rebuild radiators. If they do it properly they will boil it, flush it, test it, remove all the old solder from one or both tanks, remove the fittings from the tank(s), remove one or both header plates, rod the tubes, clean the outer tube ends, clean the header plate(s), "run the header" (re-solder the header plate to the tubes), re-solder the tank(s) and fittings, boil and flush it again to dissolve any flux that may be around a tube and result in a leak, pressure test and finally repaint it. If your radiator is of plastic tanks and an aluminum core you may be better off ordering a new one. There are shops that will rebuild them and do a great job. These radiators can not be boiled the same as the copper and brass ones. The caustic solution dissolves the aluminum. But rebuilding them is very simple if you have the proper equipment.
Hope this helps!

Norkal

INVEST IN LEAD FOR THE TIMES AHEAD!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom