leadore elk unit 29

T

timberline

I know that this is old hat but I need some advice on an elk hunt in leadore unit 29. I have been up there in the past but due to work situation, I haven't been up there in a couple three years. Drew the bull tag for Oct. I have checked the success rates and harvest statistics for the past couple years. Just wondering if any of you guys could provide any first hand info on what you have seen lately for bull quality and elk numbers. Also how have the wolves impacted the herds up there? I deffinitely dont want anyones honey hole. i dont feel right about hunting someone elses hard erned spot. Just some pointers and/ or advice would be much appreciated. Oh, i probably will use my horses to get in away from the roads too if that matters. Thanks guys for your input.

There are still quality bulls in the unit. The last couple of years will all of the late rains they have been holding high upon the mountain. There is a lot a area to cover, but you should be able to find a quality bull. There are a few wolves in the area but not a whole lot. I would concentrate on those drainages where you could take advantage of your stock. Timber Creek, the head of big 8 mile, upper Hayden Creek are all good areas. The last 1/3 of the southern part of the unit has some heavy timber but would be worth spending some time there as it doesn't seem to have the pressure as some of the other areas. Hope this helps.

thanks so much. That info does help tremendously. its my first bull tag and my dad and brother drew also. I am hoping to make this a good family hunt. Its been so long since our schedules have allowed us to hunt together and i really miss it. Unfortunately i am working out of state and cant scout like i want to and should so this info really helps me out tremendously. Thank you so much. please let me know if you ever have any questions. I will be glad to help in any way i can.

Not a problem, let me know if you need any thing else. I tend to be out it that unit alot and can help with general questions if you have any. I would imagine that this year it will still be green up high, but who knows things could change. Enjoy your hunt and good luck.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom