LCD or Plasma

FishlakeElkHunter

Very Active Member
Ok gents....time for some help!

I am in need of a new TV...I am thinking about 50"

What are the advantages of going with either LCD or Plasma. There are some really good buys out there. Does anyone know the difference???

LCD, LCD, LCD,LCD,LCD...........for get that Plasma.

Size on depends on the room you are putting it in Jason. Dcup and I bought the VIZIO 42" 15 months ago..great color TV and very happy with it. We both bought them at COSTCO and they are cheaper now than when we bought. Go check them out....don't buy a PLASMA ain't worth the cost.

Brian

For the most part a Plasma will produce a better picture than an LCD, but they also have a very glossy screen that is not good for daylight viewing. They can be had for about the same price nowadays, if its going in your dark basement get look into some Plasmas, if its going into the upstairs family room with lots of windows an LCD may suit you better.

Any particular models you are looking at?

went through the same debate about a year ago. Ended up going with a 42 inch Sony Bravia 42 inch. as mentioned earlier some depends on the where the tv will be situated. Lots of light and reflection go with an LCD as the Plasma is very reflective. one benefit to a Plasma is there isnt much distortion and the picture doesn't get grainy and out of whack when viewed from the side. LCDs are best viewed straight and at slight angles. Color saturation seems to be slightly better right now in the plasma but the higher end LCDs are very close. read a long article a few weeks ago about many companys saying bye-bye to making plasmas.

Plasma will get you a little better picture. However, they burn hotter, use more juice, have the glossy screen, and when a pixel goes out it's out.

I'd go LCD. Either way there are some great deals out there right now. You can get either one for pennies on the dollar what you'd of paid 18 months ago.

498a6f395e505405.jpg

Late last year I got a Vizio 42" plasma, it hangs on the wall right above the desk and below the elk in my office. I'm truly a plasma HD addict!

One thing to keep in mind is the cost of a good HDMI cable is $90 to $150. I purchased a cheap one from the Dish Nework installer for $35 and it was a little too short and over time it pulled out of the connector.

Went an bought an RCA from WallyWorld and it never worked.

Decided to bite the bullet and got a low end Monster cable that was almost $100 but its built much better than the others and has a lifetime warranty.

Works great.

Go with the LCD. The viewing angles are better as well as not having to deal with glare from lights and windows. I have enjoyed my 42" LG.

"If God didn't want us to eat animals, then why did He make them out of meat?"
~Ted Nugent

We have a 27" and a 42". Both are LG Plasma. Love 'em both. I don't remember exactly why I went with the Plasma over the HD, but it must of been for a good reason. I have no complaints about mine at all.

If you are not going to hang it on the wall I would look at a DLP television. I personally get the "screen door" effect from looking at LCD televisions. I have a Mitsubishi 57 inch DLP and haven't looked back.

Thanks for all the help guys!!

I am finishing the rest of my basement right now and I am putting a theater room down there, so I am moving my 62" DLP down there (I agree with the great picture of the DLP) so now I want something to put upstairs. I am going to hang it on the wall.

I was looking at Costco and on the online store you can buy a 46" LCD for $699 right now!!!!!! Seems to be a pretty great buy, and there is also a 50" Plasma I an go buy at the Radio Shack here in Richfield for $999 so I am just wondering what would be best.

I am thinking I might go with the LCD just because it will be going upstairs where there is a lot of light.

Thanks for all the replys!!!!!

You beat me to it. These stores are making all their money on extended warranties and cables. Monoprice cables are as good or better than anything you'll get at Wal-Mart, Best Buy, etc.

I bought a plasma 4 years ago and love it. When I buy a new one I'll get another plasma and this is in a room with lots of windows. LCD offers a pretty good picture, but it doesn't match a plasma. I believe the reason companies are moving away from plasma is the cost to build. LCD is cheaper and more readily available.

>One mor thing, try and resist
>biting the bullet and paying
>$100 for HDMI cables. Get
>them here for like $5....
>
>
>www.monoprice.com

Thanks for the link. Best Buy can have their monster cables back. Saved about $90.

Do some research too. If the plasma goes out it cost almost as much as the tv to get it refilled. I think its only a couple hundred bucks to replace the lcd. I have the Lcd and love it over an plasma any day.

If quizzes are quizzical, what are tests?
th_Nuke.gif

LCD hands down. Plasma will wear out WAY faster than an LCD and the picture isn't that much better. The viewing angle is something like 178 degrees too.

I have the 47" Vizio LCD and it rocks. Bought it Sam's and got the mega-extended warranty for dirt cheap.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom